• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Understanding the knee problem

Hi - new guy with his first of a bazillion questions: I've been reading all about peg-lowering and knee-savers, but I was noticing the ergonomics of the problem (for me) on a long ride yesterday. The big fuel tank has me opening my legs at a fairly wide angle, yet the pegs are mounted perpendicular to the frame. With my boots on the pegs, it causes an inward twisting of the ankles that I don't see being cured by just moving the pegs down/back. Maybe I'm completely wrong on this, so please enlighten me. I'm wondering if it's possible to turn the pegs out at a slight angle to relieve this stress. Of course, slightly longer brake and gearshift levers would be necessary. Is there just no way to do this, or is it a safety issue during agressive cornering? Just wondering if anyone has tried this approach. I do have a friend with a machine shop who might be able to whip something up for me to try.... Thanks Brian

Brian, this is a new one for me. I don't think its really an issue and like you say holding your toes out more could cause an issue in turns if you feet got too close to the ground. The biggest issue I have is my upper thigh muscle getting tight on longer rides, my knees hurt the first few times I took long rides but it no longer an issue. Maybe my knees just adjusted to it. I think for me next is some highway pegs, lets you stretch your legs out straight and gives your whole leg a break. Our own Jim Miller makes some great pegs that are nice looking and seem very easy to install. Check them out here in this thread. http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/mboards/viewmessages.cfm?clubID=1328&forum=1407&Topic=18304 http://www.millerized.com/pegs/ I'm going to order some when my bike funds jar is refilled.

I solved this problem by just having a wider butt. 2003 Concours, 53K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Well, maybe it is me... I could be doing something wrong, but it seems that pointing your feet straight forward and having your knees pointed outward is going to twist something. I did find when I was riding tonight that if I just turn my feet outward a bit when (hopefully) not needing the rear brake or the gearshift that I could relax quite well. I'm working on the wider butt as hard as I can, but it's taking me a while. :)

Brian I just saw your write up in the new members area. Give the bike some time and your body some time to adjust. Many people make the mistake of adding things they may not need before they spend some time with the bike. Give it 1000 miles or so and then see what you might need.

My only prior ride was a '76 CB550K that I had for about 4 years. I don't remember having this sort of discomfort, but then again, maybe I am doing something wrong. I was riding with the front of my boot heel firmly planted against the peg - straight forward. I have also caught myself tensing up at times, so maybe it is a simple posture alignment thing. I will pay attention to what I'm doing more closely. That being said, I do think dropping those pegs down a bit might be nice too.

Brian, Try riding with the ball of your foot on the pegs most of the time. It will improve your balance and probably eliminate the problem you are having. You can always move your foot when you need to shift or use the rear brake. Mike Aldea, COG-528 Hawthorne, NJ
2469478460102652906xWTIGW_th.jpg
2520423130102652906S200x200Q85.jpg
2710979210102652906GMlQTI_th.jpg