• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Upcoming track day, what to remove?

46Alpha

Bicycle
I'll be attending the upcoming TTD 'Non-Sportbike Track day' in CT next week. As I'll be trailering down, I've been looking at what can be removed without too much trouble. Obviously bags and top case. But I've been thinking about removing the whole top case rack and tail light, rear fender, and mirrors. Are these easy to remove? Can you recommend anything else that might be stripped off?

TIA :great:

I would just take the basics off if it was me.  others who show up are not likely to have their bikes stripped like that.  They will probably start you off pretty slow so you can learn everything they have to teach you, as well as get you familiar with the course.  Remember that this is non-sportbike guys, so you're not likely to be pushing the limits of the bike.  Besides that, I wouldn't recommend it anyway because of the risk of going down and messing up a very nice and costly bike.  Just go out and enjoy it.  you will have a lot of fun, for sure!

Talk to the track day organizers and ask them.  I would think you'd just take off all the luggage.  Then tape up the headlights, brake/tail lights and mirrors.  Use blue painters tape - not duct tape.  Tape over your speedometer too.  You do not need to be distracted by how fast you're going.  Have fun and welcome to the track addiction.  Nothing will make you a better street rider than track days. 

For sure the bags have to come off. I've also sseen the following rules for tech inspetion
1.Tires: You need at least 50% of your tire tread remaining and the tread needs to be in good condition (no dry rot).
2.Brakes: Make sure your brakes have plenty of pad material left.
3.Throttle: The throttle needs to turn freely with no binding. Twist your throttle open all the way: it should snap back to the closed position quickly and smoothly without binding.
4.Mirrors, glass and lights: All glass, lights and reflectors must be taped over. Use blue painter's tape, since it is easier to remove than duct tape. Disconnect or disable your brake light and head light. Remove or tape over your mirrors.
5.Chain and sprockets: Make sure your chain and sprockets are in good shape.
6.Check for fluid leaks: There cannot be any oil, coolant or gas leaks. We do not require you to drain or replace your coolant, but make sure there are no leaks.  A slimy tire can ruin your day.
7.Steering and suspension: Your suspension and steering mechanisms should operate smoothly with no notchiness. If you are interested in learning more about tuning your suspension, consider our Suspension Seminar.
8.Helmet: We will inspect your helmet as part of technical inspection.
I've also seen where they require a tie off of certain pin fasteners on the bike to pass inspection for track day.

No need to go crazy, check the tech inspection rules at the track you're going to, and have fun.

Because of my rear MCE saddle bag guards I thought ,what the hell, and left my bags on (it's so ugly without the bags now because of the guards). I did remove the GPS, my cup holder, and the top case. Get the wide roll of blue tape as those headlights can really suck up a lot of tape. I also pulled the first three 10 amp fuses out of fusebox #1; turn signal relay fuse, headlight relay fuse, and the tail light fuse.

I think you can take the mirrors off with only three screws each from the bottom.

Have fun! :great:

Go to tonystrackdays.com and he has a comprehensive list of things you need for the sport touring track day. The reg's are quite relaxed compared to a normal track day.
Matt

Thanks for all the great info. This isn't my first track day, but it will be my first with the Connie. The tech inspection is very mild as it's a "non sportbike track day". According to TTD site, they check brakes and tires and ensure no fluids are leaking. So I'm good on that.

For the rest, it was more of a "if it's not needed, why keep it on?" Not really going for any weight savings or anything, just stripping off parts not needed. I think the mirrors, fender and top rack are easy to remove. So I'll give it a go.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

So,
Since it is a "non sport bike" day I should remove the nitrous and turbo right?    :))
And maybe the bags?
Matt

I just removed my mirrors (3 screws), pulled 3 fuzes and taped up the signals and headlights.  Of course all luggage was removed as well.  I didn't bother with lowering tire pressure or wiring anything.  I had the front Canyon Cages on, but not the rear.

wipfel said:
I just removed my mirrors (3 screws), pulled 3 fuzes and taped up the signals and headlights.  Of course all luggage was removed as well.  I didn't bother with lowering tire pressure or wiring anything.  I had the front Canyon Cages on, but not the rear.

Might want to consider lowering lowering your tire pressure to about 30-32 psi in each wheel.  I just got back from a track weekend and the school recommended this.  I think it worked really well.  I rode my 2011 C14.

So, the mirrors. Anyone ever removed them? The three little bolts on the underside are Torx, which generally says to me 'Do Not Remove'.

EDIT: Nevermind, got them off.

A related question: How does the Connie like to be UP-shifted at WOT? No clutch at all (just closing the throttle slightly while shifting), or you have to feather the clutch? Just curious. If clutchless upshifts, does that include the 1-2 shift? Just curious about that. Thanks.

JC,
IME, it is a ever so slight snap of the throttle right as you upshift and she'll drop right in. Just enough drop in engine speed to unload the gears. I clutch-less shift almost all the time for everything but starting out in first. Downshifts as well.

Anyone know a good track or starting point for the great state of TX. I've heard that riding one/doing sharpens your skills but more importantly is a heck of a lotta of fun. Thanks guys.

Mo