• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

USB Quick Charge 3 hard-wired charger - anyone fine one?

jimbob_sf

I just got a HTC 10 phone and it is USB 3 and uses the Quick Charge 3 charging spec.  I searched for a bit and couldn't find one with a USB A female port.  Yes, our bikes have a cigarette port and there are tons of those, but I like a dedicated USB charger that's wired to the battery.  Hail-mary question to the group!

Just wondering... What's the difference between USB 2 and 3 when it comes to charging?
I know there are many USB hard-wired ports. I stalled one in my fairing pocket and seems to work OK, but really don't know how quickly it will charge my phone.
Jorge

I've got a 1A and 2.1A (or 2.5A) hard wired cig charging port I picked up off of ebay.  I've never looked at the USB3 but my HTC8 quick charges off the 2.?A port with no problems. 

Looks like you need a 3A over 5V to get the full functionality of the quick charger.  But I'm certainly no expert.  Is the USB port currently on your bike a 1A, maybe you just need to upgrade it to a 2.1A and see how that works.

Some more insight.
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/115251-how-usb-charging-works-or-how-to-avoid-blowing-up-your-smartphone

Hope that helps.

I'll take a look when I get home and see if I can find a 3A hard wire charger.  But you might be stuck with using an adapter till industry catches up. 

Adapter?
http://www.amazon.com/Charger-Tronsmart-Quick-Charge-Technology/dp/B018K7LHBU

check out this

I'd have to ask what is on the phone end plug...
supposidly your cable should plug into a standard usb port, and charging only will be fine..
the rest is about data transfer protocol..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0

but I can't say for sure... bummer on that.

MAN OF BLUES said:
check out this

I'd have to ask what is on the phone end plug...
supposidly your cable should plug into a standard usb port, and charging only will be fine..
the rest is about data transfer protocol..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0

but I can't say for sure... bummer on that.

USB 3 cables can plug into USB2 devices - they'll just function like USB2. So USB2 data transfer speeds and USB2 charging rates (max 2.1a/10w).

A fully USB3-compliant setup (phone, charger and cable) will allow up to 100w of charging. (Depending on device support for 12v or 20v)

I would guess the HTC10 can do at least 12v on charge, so could consume 36w.

I have 2 wired USB chargers on my bike - I had a couple cigarette lighter adapters lying around, so I just popped them open and soldered wires into them and added a molex connector. Glued them back together with some Goop (that stuff never lets go!). Then I clamped them to a fairing stay. Not super easy to get to (but not terrible), and I usually leave a cable in one anyway (which reaches to the fairing pocket or to the holder on the handlebars).

jimbob_sf said:
I just got a HTC 10 phone and it is USB 3 and uses the Quick Charge 3 charging spec.  I searched for a bit and couldn't find one with a USB A female port.  Yes, our bikes have a cigarette port and there are tons of those, but I like a dedicated USB charger that's wired to the battery.  Hail-mary question to the group!

Check with the guys at 3BRPowersports.com. I'm using their waterproof USB Ports and cables. Had a faulty cable issue that they took care of IMMEDIATELY and included a "lengthy" email with a lesson on port and cable specs that was WAY over my head. If anybody can help Don or Kurt can. Hope this helps.