• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Valve Adjust spreadsheet (Found on net but awesome)

mcgyver74

Was surfing around and came across this VERY detailed spreadsheet for mapping the valves on a C-14.  Has a tab that lists all the shim sizes and a tab for MM and a tab for INches

I cannot take credit for this as it was created by Kory on the ZZR forums....

Attachments

• C14 Shim Map.zip
    25.8 KB · Views: 218
  • C14 Shim Map.zip
    25.8 KB · Views: 112
Thanks, that's a nice spreadsheet. I built a similar looking file a while back, but it wasn't done in excel. I like this new one better.

Here is my old shim map. It looks like they patterned it after it, but improved it and reversed the cylinder layout. I did mine a bit odd as I worked from the front of the bike cause I was filming it, and I wanted the map to match the way it looked from my perspective so I didn't get corn-fused.

large.jpg

Yeah, Kory seems to have jazzed it up a bit (It will calculate the new size based on your original and new shim etc..) plus It has the handy shim size to shim number table.....  The more and more I review this, the more and more I think I will tackle this job myself when it's time (and save a grand)

Ok, one of the fine folks on the "Forum who shall not be named" LOL  has jazzed this up even further.

With this version, all you need to do is enter the measuered clearance, and then select what the existing shim is from a drop down list and it calculates the rest for you...

Perhaps we could get this sticky-ed!!

Attachments

• C14 Shim Map (updated).zip
    26.4 KB · Views: 127
Mad River Marc said:
With this version, all you need to do is enter the measuered clearance, and then select what the existing shim is from a drop down list and it calculates the rest for you...

Marc,
  Can you instruct a total noob how to (enter the measured clearance), as you
describe above?  The spreadsheet opens OK but I never see any dropdowns.

Thanks,
Mick

KawiMick said:
Mad River Marc said:

Marc,
  Can you instruct a total noob how to (enter the measured clearance), as you
describe above?  The spreadsheet opens OK but I never see any dropdowns.

Thanks,
Mick

Click in the Clearance Box, and type in your clearance measurement. Then click on the number for the existing shim (the shim number to the left, not the box with the actual shim dimensions). The red shim number box should present you with a drop down size selection arrow to the right of the number. For example, on the Number One Exaust valve in the spreadsheet, click on the red 48 for the existing shim size, and you should get a drop downarrow next to it. Click on the arrow and the drop down selection will expand and let you select the size you want.

The only down side to this automatic calculation method is that it assumes all the shim are sized perfectly. If you have a shim that is off size a bit, you have to go to the formula bar and erase the formula in it and manually enter the actual measured size in it.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
[

Click in the Clearance Box, and type in your clearance measurement. Then click on the number for the existing shim (the shim number to the left, not the box with the actual shim dimensions). The red shim number box should present you with a drop down size selection arrow to the right of the number. For example, on the Number One Exaust valve in the spreadsheet, click on the red 48 for the existing shim size, and you should get a drop downarrow next to it. Click on the arrow and the drop down selection will expand and let you select the size you want.

The only down side to this automatic calculation method is that it assumes all the shim are sized perfectly. If you have a shim that is off size a bit, you have to go to the formula bar and erase the formula in it and manually enter the actual measured size in it.

Fred,
  Thanks for trying but when I click on the clearance box it just puts a bold
border around the word clearance.  If I enter a measurement (0.009) in
that box it just changes the word clearance to 0.009  ?????  I must be doing
something wrong because I never get the popup with shim sizes.  Oh well.

It took me 20 minutes to get the cylinders (1,2,3,4 circles) lined back up where
it references the valves correctly. :)

KawiMick said:
Fred,
  Thanks for trying but when I click on the clearance box it just puts a bold
border around the word clearance.  If I enter a measurement (0.009) in
that box it just changes the word clearance to 0.009  ?????  I must be doing
something wrong because I never get the popup with shim sizes.  Oh well.

It took me 20 minutes to get the cylinders (1,2,3,4 circles) lined back up where
it references the valves correctly. :)

Click on the Red # 48 in the upper left side of the spreadsheet for Cylinder # 1.

Attachments

• SpreadsheetShim.jpg
    SpreadsheetShim.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 68
Oh, and by the way, make sure you downloaded the newest (updated) version that Marc loaded a few posts above this one. The first version he posted doesn't have the automatic calculation feature. I'm reattaching it to this post.

Attachments

• C14 Shim Map (updated).zip
    26.4 KB · Views: 85
Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Click on the Red # 48 in the upper left side of the spreadsheet for Cylinder # 1.

Thanks,
  Once I downloaded some format conversion file from Excel, it worked perfectly.  I guess
my Excel XP was too old for this fancy program. 

I clicked on the shim number to the Right of the shim measurement and I saw the shim
numbers pop-up, next I changed the actual measurement from 0.007 to 0.009 and hit Enter.
The recommended shim changed from 43 to 48.  Success.  Hope this helps anyone else that has never entered XLSX data. 

Mick

In case someone else has the older Excel version, I converted it to the Excel 2003 format and have attached it to this post.

Attachments

• C14 Shim Map (xls format).zip
    56.3 KB · Views: 81
tony said:
what are the specs intake and exhaust shims

The only 'spec' on the shims is that they are 9.5mm diameter shims.  Some suppliers
call them 9.48mm shims too.  Is that what you are asking?

Mick