• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Valve Shim Calculator

budcallaghan

Mini Bike
While rummaging through my computer files I found a Shim calculator for all four Japanese motorcycle brands that I acquired in late 2009.  I don't remember it at all.  Can't say where it came from nor can I find any evidence of its existence anywhere on the Internet.  It utilizes two languages, fortunately one of them is English while the other is as indistinguishable as Greek or Russian with an alphabet I do not know.  It shows the Union Jack to select the English version and a flag for its native language that I cannot find while perusing all of the flags of the various nations. 

I have yet to use it, but after inserting various measurements and using it to calculate the shim requirements for those measurements I think the program has merit and will be useful.  The next time I do a valve adjustment (very soon) I will give it a try and then be able to offer valuable feedback.

The three pictures below show it in use with just a couple of #1 cylinder calculations to give an approximation of its capabilities.  As stated above, I have no idea where I got it or where one can find it.  If anyone would like to have it for experimentation or use, send a request via email to pseudonym@sysmatrix.net and I'll send it to you as an attachment.  Specify either .rar (284 KB) or .zip (366 KB) as I have both.

The pictures show Honda but there is an option for the other three Japanese brands as well as the shim sizes.

I JUST LEARNED FROM JIM PAVLIS THAT THE PROGRAM CAN BE OBTAINED FROM:  http://vicdzen.narod.ru/main_eng/

Attachments

• Universal Shim Calculator 7.jpg
    Universal Shim Calculator 7.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 430
  • Universal Shim Calculator 8.jpg
    Universal Shim Calculator 8.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 338
  • Universal Shim Calculator 3.jpg
    Universal Shim Calculator 3.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 360
By the way, here is an excel spreadsheet shim map in both inches and millimeter, and it also has formulas built into it to do the new shim size calculations.

Attachments

• C14 Shim Map.zip
    26 KB · Views: 574
Fred_Harmon_TX said:
By the way, here is an excel spreadsheet shim map in both inches and millimeter, and it also has formulas built into it to do the new shim size calculations.

How come the Excel Shim map has the optimum Ex at .2150 and the manual has the exhaust says .125?

nando said:
Fred_Harmon_TX said:

How come the Excel Shim map has the optimum Ex at .2150 and the manual has the exhaust says .125?

It is another error in the manual. The exhaust valve clearance ranges are .19 mm to .24 mm, and the center spec is .215mm (see page 2-25).

The error is on the top of page 2-27, they referenced .125mm as the center spec for the exhaust.  They simply transposed the number, (.215 to .125), when they authored the manual.

The app is no longer available in English (zip only, no .exe), so Fred's shim map spreadsheet is a godsend.

Awesome Fred!  Thanks!

A sticky would be a great idea. In addition I would add a compilation of all of the threads that pertain to valve adjustments. I know the threads were helpful to me when I tackled the job.  I can search them out again and send them to the Mod willing to create the sticky. PM me if you need the help. 

Vook said:
The app is no longer available in English (zip only, no .exe), so Fred's shim map spreadsheet is a godsend.

Awesome Fred!  Thanks!

Just an FYI, when you open the program in the upper right you'll see the Union Jack, if you click on it everything changes to english.