• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Vega Summitt II

My dad had a Vega modular, probably wasnt a summitt II but a older one, he loved it. He went down in a slow speed crash few months ago with it on and it protected him very well.  Some people are afraid that the lid will pop open on a modular when in a crash but the Vega held strong. He kept it on his self and is using my KBC modular until he can get another one. For the price they are very nice helmets.

Eddie_Bohanan_TN said:
My dad had a Vega modular, probably wasnt a summitt II but a older one, he loved it. He went down in a slow speed crash few months ago with it on and it protected him very well.  Some people are afraid that the lid will pop open on a modular when in a crash but the Vega held strong. He kept it on his self and is using my KBC modular until he can get another one. For the price they are very nice helmets.

Probably the HPV.  Ya if they meet DOT they should stay closed during most slow speed get offs.  My gut tells me that if you hit hard enough to pop it up then you are going to have more injuries than just facial. Thanks Got mine off ebay auction - NIB for 40 bucks - including S/H.  Will give review once in hand. Just received notice its shipped - Might have it by Monday.

Eddie_Bohanan_TN said:
holy smokes!!!!! That's an awesome deal. What color did you get? You'll have to give us a right up about it.

Dark Red.  Ya got lucky on an auction, we have a very large pipe (huge bandwidth) where I work so I can usually get in a higher bid with less time needed or respond quicker to thier higher bid. But these helmets might be two years old but NIB they shouldnt have any problems. Will definitely give review but its my first modular so dont have anything to compare too.

Oh groovy! A modular is different that a regular helmet, on my KBC it had a LOT of airflow comming up from under the chin cause the helmet pokes out further that regular helmet ya know, and I don't like a lot of wind in my eyes. But my dad wears glasses (and smokes) so he loves them. To each his own.

Eddie_Bohanan_TN said:
Oh groovy! A modular is different that a regular helmet, on my KBC it had a LOT of airflow comming up from under the chin cause the helmet pokes out further that regular helmet ya know, and I don't like a lot of wind in my eyes. But my dad wears glasses (and smokes) so he loves them. To each his own.

I plan on doing long distance rallies in the future and a modular allows you to drink and eat without taking the helmet off, etc. So hopefully those benefits will out weigh the negatives.

Been wearing one for 6 months now and really like it. Also bought one for better half and she likes hers also. Check out the review of the Summit II at:  http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/vega-summit-II/  . Couple of things I could add would be to be sure to give the modular face part a healthy push down (almost slam) to make sure it locks. I also had to take a dremmel tool and carefully expand the small notch on the face shield to make swapping out shields easier. BTW, the medium metallic blue is a perfect match for the 2001 Connie if you are into those things.
Marv

Well first impression out of the box - no owners manual, but paint looks great and no obvious QA issues.
But it on and seems tight in forehead but normally tight everywhere else due to new padding - should compress over time to fit better. (later found out forhead issue was part of faceport gasket needing to be pushed back into place.

Visor seems thicker than the Bell Zephyr I recently bought cheap.  The vents seem cheap afterthoughts.  There are two top vents which will be a deal breaker on the next helmet I buy - hard to manipulate while riding or at stops. Also the actuating tabs need to be larger and better designed to find and actuate with gloves on. But I can feel cool air coming in from them so that is big plus.

The chin strap is substantial with nice padding and it has a snap to keep loose end from flapping, not bad for 40 buck helmet.

Flip up visor is actuated by button under chin - easy to use and works well. Also flip up portion snaps up and down firmly.
Doesnt feel flimsy and clicks into place up or down.  The visor only has on thumb tab for moving up or down, The Bell Zephyr has two and comes in handy when cant use clutch hand at stop.  But visor has good detents to adjust opening.

Also the visor really had good locking sound when it is lowered in place.

After wearing for few days I am extremely satisfied with purchase:

Quieter behind windscreen (19" Rifle - I am 5'8") than my full face Zephyr. Due to flip up design easier to stay cooler when stopped as can expose more of face.  But when riding through turbulent air from large trucks or cross winds the Summit is noiser due to large gaps between visor and flipup portion of helmet at pivot point of flip up and visor.  Wind buffeting is very noticeable.

Also, starting to see scuff marks where flip up portion of helmet rubs against main portion of helmet shell. - Annoying but not a deal breaker. 

Will write up review after my first long distance ride. But overall an excellent helmet for a really great price even though its probabley been sitting in warehouse for 2+ years.

I've had two Vega Summits. One get off at 20mph, whole left side scratched up, modular chin bar, etc stayed closed and locked. Got another and fit was not too good, traded in at no cost at the dealer and got another. Been with that for 4 yrs plus. Been looking at the new Summit IIs and close to buying. The wind noise is bit louder than old one piece helmets. But the convenience of the flip up at lights/stop signs I like.
For the money it's a good deal in my frugal opinion.

Phil
99 'lectric
COB 5879

Just got back from extended trip to east tx to visit some friends.  Summitt II is getting better, not as tight on forehead and feeling better around ears. Ya agree - noiser but not bad trade-off for convienence and better able to cool when stopped in traffic.  Bargains can be found. Wouldnt pay more than 70 bucks as I got mine for less than 40 - including shipping.