• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

VERY low Tire millage

razorsedge

Scooter
I went with the advice of everyone here and bought a set of Angel Perelli's . The back tire didn't last 3K miles and I got threads showing.
Now I run my connie and I love the curves. I run it like it's track days sometimes, and sometimes I just ride. But shouldn't these tires last longer than 3K ?   

I'm pretty hard on tires. But I have never had an Angel wear out that fast. You must be really hard on the throttle. LOL  :motonoises:

I'm about to mount my 3rd Angel ST. Got atleast 10000 out of each back tire. Front could go a lot longer but I change them both. I live in the Austin Tx. area. Not sure if roads are different here. We use a lot of chip seal material.

The roads here are pretty much the same. I didn't buy the fastest most powerful Sport touring motorcycle to baby it. i enjoy its power. But I don't do burnouts. I just run. My average speed is from 75 mph to 170 mph. I love the twisties .  I do love the throttle but I figured to get at least 5k out of them. I have threads showing out of 3K miles

Trouble said:
The roads here are pretty much the same. I didn't buy the fastest most powerful Sport touring motorcycle to baby it. i enjoy its power. But I don't do burnouts. I just run. My average speed is from 75 mph to 170 mph. I love the twisties .  I do love the throttle but I figured to get at least 5k out of them. I have threads showing out of 3K miles

:-\

:a102:

Did you put a turbo or a supercharger on her??

Yeah, there's a price to pay if you're slowing down to 75 - and that price is paid in rubber.  Sounds like you're enjoying the heck out of Connie though!

I do love my connie. the C 14 is the most amazing machine and when you get the suspension dialed in just right she will take a curve like you wouldn't believe. it's hard to keep her out of the triple digits . I just figured the tire would make it past 3K is all. The pirellis are fantastic tires for sticking to the pavement. I just thought ...perhaps better millage.    :motonoises:    :)

I'm still wondering if something is up. I've run mine up to 165 on this set and also enjoy giving it the coal once in while. I ride just about daily in all weather. Good luck with whatever you decide. Let us know. PS. I get mine at Central Tx Powersports in Georgetown Tx. $295 total not including mounting.

I pay $162 at Competition Accessories ( Back Tire)  . I don't know what might be up ? I ride my bike pretty much like everyone else does. I have just a little under 3K on them and the threads are showing in the middle . 

Trouble said:
I don't do burnouts. I just run. My average speed is from 75 mph to 170 mph. I love the twisties .
Trouble said:
I don't know what might be up ? I ride my bike pretty much like everyone else does.
I must ride differently from everyone else; my average speed is around 50-55 on a long trip.  I don't average 70, even when you only count rolling time.  Perhaps this is why I am disappointed if my rear tire lasts fewer than 20k. 

Seriously, if you are averaging even in the low triple digits, you belong on the track and I can't help but think you'll be at the top of the leader board in a season or two.  At least then your tires won't have to last but a couple of hundred miles at the outside and you can get on it to your heart's content!

1_2007-motogp-catalunya.jpg

Well...I do run with sport bikes. I mean the kawasaki is a "SPORT" Touring...right !  We run in the country. Lots of twisties. Serious, my average speed is 80 MPh easy . its hard to keep her under it . Tripple digits comes so easy with this machine . I could take the Area P Header system with exhaust. Install a PCIII We're talking 160HP & 140TQ . Imagine the feeling !  WHEW !  In the next few weeks im going to try and get a video and some pics of one of our runs. Perhaps that will help to figure out why I can't get over 3K out of my tires. 

Just found this . . .    Set seven FIM records and garnered the prestigious 24-hour Duration World Record on one set of tires on March 15, 2009 in Nardo, Italy - 3,190.8 miles, average speed of 132.9 mph
(W)-rated for speeds of 168+ mph

Whatever !  well......that's about what I got  :motonoises:  :)

Trouble said:
Well...I do run with sport bikes. I mean the kawasaki is a "SPORT" Touring...right !  We run in the country. Lots of twisties. Serious, my average speed is 80 MPh easy . its hard to keep her under it . Tripple digits comes so easy with this machine . I could take the Area P Header system with exhaust. Install a PCIII We're talking 160HP & 140TQ . Imagine the feeling !  WHEW !  In the next few weeks im going to try and get a video and some pics of one of our runs. Perhaps that will help to figure out why I can't get over 3K out of my tires.

140 lb ft of torque isn't gonna happen on a C14 without forced induction.  With a good exhaust and tune anything over 102 is doing pretty well.

ChipDoc said:
Trouble said:
I don't do burnouts. I just run. My average speed is from 75 mph to 170 mph. I love the twisties .
Trouble said:
I don't know what might be up ? I ride my bike pretty much like everyone else does.
I must ride differently from everyone else; my average speed is around 50-55 on a long trip.  I don't average 70, even when you only count rolling time.  Perhaps this is why I am disappointed if my rear tire lasts fewer than 20k. 

Seriously, if you are averaging even in the low triple digits, you belong on the track and I can't help but think you'll be at the top of the leader board in a season or two.  At least then your tires won't have to last but a couple of hundred miles at the outside and you can get on it to your heart's content!

1_2007-motogp-catalunya.jpg

You average 50/55 in Florida? I can't believe you aren't a hood ornament.

jasonc32amg said:
ChipDoc said:
I must ride differently from everyone else; my average speed is around 50-55 on a long trip.
You average 50/55 in Florida? I can't believe you aren't a hood ornament.
We have this phenomenon in Florida called traffic.  You must have heard of it...  ???

Truly I hardly ever go faster than 80.  I'm just not in that much of a hurry anymore.

quote - You average 50/55 in Florida? I can't believe you aren't a hood ornament.  End quote

First off, I don't run like that in the city of Pensacola. I roll with the flow. But we have country routs where we can unleash the power of the C14 with no problem. Traffic is rare out there. Most around here know the motorcycle roads . There are places here you can run as fast as you dare with no problem. I guess I should of clarified, Normal city & interstate traffic  I run about 5 to 8 MPH over the flow.

Then there's skill . That plays a part also . Like I said, we plan  routs where we know the twisties are along with save empty country roads.

I've been out there, up past Cantonment.  There really are some great roads out that way; glad you have the chance to play on them!  And you're right; there's hardly any traffic on them most of the time.

Oh we mostly play on 112, Camden is the favorite . Stockton , Blackwater , Brewton and HW 41  We've got some great country roads

I had threads showing on my one and ONLY set of Angel ST after 3,500 miles.  I wanted to throw them away after only 1,000 miles, due to there wear characteristics.  I was not impressed with these tires and would not suggest them to any one.  I do ride aggressively, but even the stock Bridgestones lasted longer than the Perrilies, and everyone says they're junk on the C14, so I understand that they will wear prematurely, but only 3,500 miles.  I am with Trouble they should last longer. 

Trouble said:

If you're riding an unblown Concours 14, it won't ever achieve 170 miles per hour.  Especially in Florida where no hills exist.  There is nothing tall in that state except perhaps the tall tales that emerge therefrom.

Bud Callaghan said:
Especially in Florida where no hills exist.  There is nothing tall in that state except perhaps the tall tales that emerge therefrom.
This is simply not true!  Locally we have a scenic spot called the Taylor Road Landfill which, at 101', is the highest point in Hillsborough County...
;)

First set OEM 3200 miles on rear. Center thread worn to nub. Replaced both with Perilli Diablos. Got 4500 before I wore my first spot. Canyon riding mostly, moderate speeds. Love the torque on acceleration. Top speed for me...150MPH, leaving Panamint Springs, outside Death Valley. Blew the mirrors off a guy on a Honda ST 1300. He didn't have a chance.