• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Visibility of Events in the Calendar of Events

MotoWojo

COG #465
Unless you happen to be logged in, the Calendar of Events comes up empty, which gives the casual visitor the wrong impression that this is a club with no planned events. I've invited several friends to various rides and asked them to check out COG-Online for additional information only to be told that there is nothing listed in the calendar. And some of these people are COG members. I suggest that we make all events visible in the Calendar of Events, even to those who are not logged in. Perhaps we could set the site up so that when they click on an event for additional information, the person is then invited to log in before being director to the event detail? Thoughts... TCARS, Mark Wojcik COG #465 Hudson, WI 1986 Concours

Tell me about it... I have been complaining about this one since day one. I have to tell everyone that I send to the calendar to be sure to pick the correct area EVERY TIME. I think this is another one that is the way it is unless we pay to have it changed. ---------------------------------- I will answer any question. It is up to you to figure out if I should have.
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

I didn't know about this, sounds like a bug to me, err an 'undesirable program feature'. :) There are events on the calendar that are open to the public so everybody should be able to see them.

It is up to the AAD or AD (or whoever added the event) to post it as PUBLIC event (most are). It seems the crux of the issue is that going to the Calendar when not logged in, it defaults to the North Central area and there are very few entries there. There is no way to combine events from all areas on one calendar listing... Be sure to select an area (chapter). -- Steve Smith, #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT) If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

It is up to the AAD or AD (or whoever added the event) to post it as PUBLIC event (most are). It seems the crux of the issue is that going to the Calendar when not logged in, it defaults to the North Central area and there are very few entries there.
Steve - I've also been disappointed by the lack of events posted to the NCA event calendar, so I recently volunteered to help update/maintain the NCA event calendar. This week I've posted a number of events for September and October. All of the events I've posted in the last week are public and I can tell you that you can't see public events unless you're logged in. We really need to see about getting this fixed if we want to promote this site and the club... just my 2 cents. TCARS, Mark Wojcik COG #465 Hudson, WI 1986 Concours

All of the events I've posted in the last week are public and I can tell you that you can't see public events unless you're logged in.
Mark - I have local non-member friends who viewed and registered for the NE Fall rally, so I know it works... I attempted to verify your claim and just logged out completely and viewed the calendar. It was blank until I selected an Area OTHER than NCA (since that was the default) The only issue I see is that the calendar does not refresh until you select another area first. Give it a try. -- Steve Smith, #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT) If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

It was blank until I selected an Area OTHER than NCA (since that was the default) The only issue I see is that the calendar does not refresh until you select another area first. Give it a try.
Ah, you are correct sir. I had to first select another area, but once I did, I could see the events for all of the areas. I think it would still be preferable to see the events without having to refresh the screen by first selecting/viewing another area. If a fix is not readily available, perhaps we could add a prompt to the calendar screen directing viewers to refresh the screen to see the latest calendar of events? Mark Wojcik COG #465 Hudson, WI 1986 Concours

I think it would still be preferable to see the events without having to refresh the screen by first selecting/viewing another area. If a fix is not readily available, perhaps we could add a prompt to the calendar screen directing viewers to refresh the screen to see the latest calendar of events?
We'll submit a support ticket on the refresh issue, as that would be the correct solution. -- Steve Smith, #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT) If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

If they can't fix it free and you know they can fix it. I would at least find a way to tell visitors to that NC page to pick an area. It needs to be a clear message because it does make the club look like... dead. Mark, Thanks for trying to make the NC calendar more active. I am trying to do the same here in SC. ---------------------------------- I will answer any question. It is up to you to figure out if I should have.
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Steve, Can we just change what area it defaults to?? CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

Steve, Can we just change what area it defaults to??
The problem is not which is the default area. The problem has to do with the event data not being populated into the calendar on initial entry to the page. Memberize has duplicated the problem and an engineer is assigned to investigate. -- Steve Smith, #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.