• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Vstrom vs Versys

Brooks

I have ridden and read alot about the vstrom. I haven't seen much on the Kawasaki versys. Does anyone have a good comparison heads up on the two?

Thanks

Well, I've ridden two of those mentioned and a friend of mine had a Versys.  The bottom line is, what do you intend to do with it?  If you are going to do more long distance, V-Strom.  If you want an all around model that gives very good gas mileage, the F650GS.  If you want a fun bike and don't want to spend a lot, the Versys.  An item I check is the weight of the bike and the seat height.  Why, well I have a 29" inseam and I'm tired of heavy bikes. 

So it all boils down to what do you intend to do with the bike and how much you are willing to spend.  As for help with the spending, buy one a year or two old and save the depreciation.  In addition, you might be able to find what you want with a lot of farkles already added to it.    :)

tcars
John

The versys was rough for me.  It twisted my knees in in a very odd way, and I just couldn't get comfortable.

And to add to the confusion, take a look at the new Yamaha Super Tinery (sp).  They look great and have an adjustable seat height.  "There are never too many bikes, just not enough time and money"

Super Tenere.  AWESOME bike.  Loved it.  I want one...want one badly.

2012-yamaha-super-tenere%205.jpg

Necron99 said:
Super Tenere.  AWESOME bike.  Loved it.  I want one...want one badly.

2012-yamaha-super-tenere%205.jpg

Yeah, it was really nice. But like most adventure bikes, it's tall. So I have to get on it like a horse. With no bags, I can just get my leg over the seat (dragging). But with the bags, no a chance! So I will probably never get to have something like this!  :(

I bought a new DL650 last April and like it a lot.
Shedding almost 200lbs & up to 58mpg is quite refreshing.
The DL650 has a good following, great forum support, and from others experience has proven quite reliable.

Zorlac said:
I bought a new DL650 last April and like it a lot.
Shedding almost 200lbs & up to 58mpg is quite refreshing.
The DL650 has a good following, great forum support, and from other's experiences has proven quite reliable.

My buddy has one. It seems like a great bike!

As has been said, it comes down to what you plan on doing with the bike.  The Versys is quite a bit shorter in the wheelbase than the Wee-Strom, so it's going to be quicker in the tight twisties and running around town.  It also has 17" tires on both ends.  The Wee, on the other hand, is a better bike for longer distances.  There are also more model specific accessories available for it.  The Versys has a parallel-twin engine as compared to the Vee-twin in the Wee.  The parallel-twin is going to be more prone to vibration. 

As far as buying "used" -- the Versys would probably be easier to find.  Used Wee's, particularly the ABS version, will be more difficult.  By the way, I would suggest you consider an '07 or later Wee if you are shopping used.  Those models were updated for emissions and have dual spark plugs, cat. converter and ABS available.  Also, Suzuki did not bring any V-Stroms into the country in 2010, due to the number of them already on showroom floors.  In 2011, the only model they brought in was the Wee-ABS in two colors -- black and white.  So your availability for used bikes of the later version  is -- '07,'08 and '09 non-ABS  and  '07,'08,'09 and '11 ABS.

I bought a Wee-ABS about 15 months ago (I had an '08 C-14 ABS prior) and like it for my riding needs -- long distance touring, camping trips and cycle rallies.  It's smooth, quiet and comfortable.  It is also 200+# lighter than my C-14 and much easier for me to handle.