• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Warning about KIPASS (No joke)

Cap'n Bob

I just noticed this in the manual and figured that I'd pass this on. This is not a joke by any means. It's a warning that I came across in the service manual when I was researching error codes. This could apply to some folk. I wasn't aware of this and thought that some others may not be as well. So from the book:

=================================================

Warning:

KIPASS may interfere with the operation of certain medical device such as implanted pacemakers and implanted cardiac defibrillators. The FOB key or the antenna of KIPASS ECU must be kept more than 22 cm (9 in.) from these type of medical devices. Operators with medical devices such as implanted pacemakers and implanted cardiac defibrillators should consult with their doctors.

Excellent advice! We can all ask our doctors about the fob endangering us while we ask about the microware, the cordless phone, the cell phone, the garage door opener, all the other automotive fobs... you did ask your doctor about those, right Bob?

:)

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:
I just noticed this in the manual and figured that I'd pass this on. This is not a joke by any means. It's a warning that I came across in the service manual when I was researching error codes. This could apply to some folk. I wasn't aware of this and thought that some others may not be as well. So from the book:

Warning:

KIPASS may interfere with the operation of certain medical device such as implanted pacemakers and implanted cardiac defibrillators. The FOB key or the antenna of KIPASS ECU must be kept more than 22 cm (9 in.) from these type of medical devices. Operators with medical devices such as implanted pacemakers and implanted cardiac defibrillators should consult with their doctors.

No, since I don''t have a pace maker!  ::)

BDF said:
Excellent advice! We can all ask our doctors about the fob endangering us while we ask about the microware, the cordless phone, the cell phone, the garage door opener, all the other automotive fobs... you did ask your doctor about those, right Bob?

:)

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:

Warning:

OK, but you know about the link between testicular cancer and Yamaha ECU's, right? Now I know you have a Feejer and am just assuming the rest....

:rotflmao:

This is great- two forums to frolick on, hey Bob?

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:

Nah,

I have the underside of the seat lined with aluminum foil for protection. I saw it in some movie or something!  :):p

BDF said:
OK, but you know about the link between testicular cancer and Yamaha ECU's, right? Now I know you have a Feejer and am just assuming the rest....

:rotflmao:

This is great- two forums to frolick on, hey Bob?

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Don't laugh. There is actually growing concern in the medical community about relationships between cancer and proximity to electronic devices that radiate RF. And guess where the KIPASS receiver is on the C14.....

Like I said, aluminum foil!  ::)

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Don't laugh. There is actually growing concern in the medical community about relationships between cancer and proximity to electronic devices that radiate RF. And guess where the KIPASS receiver is on the C14.....

http://www.motorcyclecancer.com/

Right next to my cell phone?  :rotflmao:  :-\

I'm not saying it is true or it isn't, but I wouldn't just arbitrarily dismiss it either. Look at what they are saying about cell phones now, that just a few years ago they said wasn't an issue.

I actually think it is a real concern. They are doing studies of lots of things like this. It was on the news the last couple of days how brain cancer cases have exploded. They say the the cell phones are responsible for this?  :eek:

Fred_Harmon_TX said:

I'm not saying it is true or it isn't, but I wouldn't just arbitrarily dismiss it either. Look at what they are saying about cell phones now, that just a few years ago they said wasn't an issue.

Cap'n Bob said:
Like I said, aluminum foil!  ::)

cheap-monday-tinfoil-suit.jpg

If you get brain cancer from KiPass you are either carrying your fob incorrectly or sitting on the bike badly....

In the western US, the high tension power lines make cattle that graze underneath them sterile apparently due to the electrical field surrounding them. Which brings up the burning question, if you parked a C-14 under high tension power lines, right next to the bull with the high voice, would KiPass still work?

That disclaimer is a standard warning on everything electronic that emits anything. It is not specific to KiPass, Kawasaki or anything else. If I had a pacemaker (I do not), I would be far more concerned with a microwave putting out a thousand watts than a KiPass fob putting out a couple of milliwatts. But of course anyone concerned should get as much information as possible and make an informed decision on where to put his / her fob.

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:
I actually think it is a real concern. They are doing studies of lots of things like this. It was on the news the last couple of days how brain cancer cases have exploded. They say the the cell phones are responsible for this?  :eek:

Let's see if I got this right...  On one hand, there's danger from RF waves while traveling at 75mph around a blind curve marked at 35mph on a road you've never been on before.  On the other hand, there's the wrath of the women in your life you've scorned at one time or another (completely unaware at the time the scorn was being deployed) and you've studied up on Lorena Bobbit and what to watch for.  I think maybe I'll just ignore the RF warning and keep my eye out for women with revenge on their minds. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

BJ_CT said:
Let's see if I got this right...  On one hand, there's danger from RF waves while traveling at 75mph around a blind curve marked at 35mph on a road you've never been on before. On the other hand, there's the wrath of the women in your life you've scorned at one time or another (completely unaware at the time the scorn was being deployed) and you've studied up on Lorena Bobbit and what to watch for.  I think maybe I'll just ignore the RF warning and keep my eye out for women with revenge on their minds. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

You Connecticut guys do this kind of stuff a lot?  :))

Cap'n Bob said:
You Connecticut guys do this kind of stuff a lot?  :))

The first occurs only when closely following a certain FJR and the second I'm gonna blame on the Navy and beer.
:singing:

I wouldn't miss this stuff for the world  :))

If we are affected by the proximity to the KIPASS ECU could we be re-flashed and be ok ???

bob14 said:
I wouldn't miss this stuff for the world  :))

If we are affected by the proximity to the KIPASS ECU could we be re-flashed and be ok ???

That's a good point. I never thought of re-flashing ourselves!!!  :))

As aresident of Staten Island, NY, home of the largest landfill on the eastern seaboard, I can say without a doubt that all these items are completely safe! :)

And anyway the slight glow I emanate comes in handy during blackouts!  :))