• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Water pump leaking coolant

I have seen Steve's video's and in them he said that you can't rebuild them. Then I found this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MECHANICAL-WATER-PUMP-SEAL-KAWASAKI-ZG-1000-CONCOURS-1986-99-B99B-G731/382576552897

It has a video that replaces the water seals in a motorcycle water pump. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGAL6P9vLb0

I got the old pump off and think I will try to do the disassembly part of the seal replacement video and see how it goes. The engine side of the shaft bearing feels ok but I haven't pulled the cover to try the impeller side yet. I have nothing to lose as it needs to be replaced or repaired anyway. I have all winter to do it.

Not sure if i want to take a chance with a used pump as I feel the seal failure has as much to due with age as mileage, or wear. The pump on my 99 gave up at about the same age and mileage. I just replaced that one but it happened on the second ride in the spring and just wanted to be able to get back on the bike. Now I have 2 so the pressure is off to get it done quickly.

I've done a few Oil seal replacements, and they all went well, but when you are leaking coolant, believe Steve, as I have tried also, and you will wreck the pump before you get it done.. on a C10... imply get the new pump, and ave the aggravation... C14's are "much easier" to replace the water side seal on... they learned.. and accommodated it to service...

Uh, if the pump is leaking, it's already "wrecked."

$25 for a seal vs $183 for a new pump..................  I'd give it a whack.

Where did you find it for $183, Murph's has it for about $220. I respect that others have tried with little success but I am a slow learner, and it's just time in the shop to give it a whack. I hope to try this weekend. I will let everyone know how it turns out. I am prepared to send it to the trash if necessary.

I was really hoping that the answer was it's real PIA but can be done, here are some secrets.

Thanks  Jeff

JPD said:
Where did you find it for $183, Murph's has it for about $220. I respect that others have tried with little success but I am a slow learner, and it's just time in the shop to give it a whack. I hope to try this weekend. I will let everyone know how it turns out. I am prepared to send it to the trash if necessary.

I was really hoping that the answer was it's real PIA but can be done, here are some secrets.

Thanks  Jeff

Partzilla.

pump-XL.jpg

Thank You Bud. With the help of the link from Bud I was able to disassemble my water pump in about 30 min. I used a ball joint tool to press the impeller and water side bearing out. The water side bearing is held in by the metal cup of the seal. The oil side bearing I was able to use a brass drift. I was not worried about hitting on the inner race or ball seal area of the bearings because I will be replacing them. Now to get all the parts here and reassemble.

The video I linked above would have removed the impeller from the shaft and replaced just the seals. By doing it this way I am going to be able to replace the bearings also.

Attachments

• water_pump.jpg
    water_pump.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 162
please consider making a sticky post, up into the tech pages, after completing this repair... it will be very useful for everyone; my attempts using my press, to extract the shaft resulted in a broken housing case.. I admit, my bad...

I still think, that with all the parts and labor cost involved, it's kind of a wash.... but thank you for the tenacity, and effort.... please give a final $$ figure, after it's done, and working, and has 1k miles on it. And, even more o, the longevity of this repair.. i.e., life before it' next issue.

thank you greatly again, for the effort.

I got a seal kit off ebay for $17.48 Water Pump Mechanical And Oil Seals for Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R ZX900 1998-...
I found the bearings at Grainger. BL Radial Ball Bearing, Ps, 12mm, 6001 2rs Item # 35HZ75. $3.56 ea. total $7.12
I ordered the external seals from Partzilla. Cover seal, engine seal, and seal for the water pipe. $24.00 with shipping.
$48.60 total.
I also had the ball joint service tool that I used to press out the impeller and water side bearing and seal. So no cost there.

I would have needed the external seals with a new water pump but they might have come with it. If you were paying someone to do this for you It would be better to just buy a new pump. It took me about 30 min to disassemble the pump, and about 45 min to put it back together plus some time to clean it and look up the parts.

It will be a little while before I am able to get the pump back on and do not plan on running the bike until spring.

Attachments

• h2o side install.jpg
    h2o side install.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 145
  • oil side install.jpg
    oil side install.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 20200103_170024_resized.jpg
    20200103_170024_resized.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 151
:great:

Thanks Jeff, nice job.
You still need the external "lip" oil seal, for the shaft end also... I think it is $10 from kaw.
flush out as much as possible, all the stuff that will reside behind the final external seal, before installing that. Some Red Locktite bearing sealant around the perimeter before tapping it in helps keep it in place.

Thanks Rich, My shop is primary a wood working shop so saw dust gets everywhere. The socket I used came out of a box on the workbench so it had dust on it. I do take extra time an any assemble to make sure things are clean. The pic was to show the snap ring. I didn't see the dirt in the pic until I posted it.  It was cleaned out and the oil seal installed with locktite. The oil seal was included in the kit off e-bay.

Nice to know that people like you have our back and look for thing we might have missed.

Jeff