• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Waterproof adventure touring jacket, looks a lot like a $500 Klim

not gore-tex = not waterproof. 
dont skimp on gear that has to carry you thousands of mile thru every sort of weather.
i literally have a closet full of  good value priced gear that look good and work well, until i get caught in a rainstorm...
if i had bought klim or aerostitch first i would have been money ahead.

go with aerostitch/klim/rukka/ or at the lowest end a firstgear kili.

i cant say all the rest are crap but i haven't tried them all yet either.
joe rocket, tourmaster, olympia ,have all failed me.either in waterproofing or airflow or just stupid designs
that are cumbersome to use. too small pockets you cant reach into, waterproof layers on the inside so the shell soaks thru and weighs a ton and makes you clammy and cold, vents that dont vent thru just to the inner waterproofing layer, and so on
theres a hundred things that go into making a good all weather riding jacket.

the 4 companies i mentioned seem to have a better grasp in how to do this right and i heavily recommend them.

if you spend $100 on a no name jacket i suspect you will get exactly what you paid for.

Gore-Tex may be the largest and best marketed waterproof/breathable laminate, but it is by far NOT the only breathable membrane out there. Many riders don't ride in the rain at all, but might like the protection "just in case" of an unpredicted thunderstorm. Riders may like a spare jacket for a child, small passenger who only occasionally ride pillion, don't have the need to spend $500 on a Motorport that may be outgrown in 18 months. My kids are 10.5 and 12, I take them for a ride every 1-2 months and never for more than 30-45 minute rides...different strokes for different folks.