• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Waterproof gloves?

Before owning the connie, riding in the rain was kryptonite to me. However, I ride regularly in all conditions now - the problem being I am still using deer skin gloves that never dry out. Having been kept relatively dry with my rain suit and good boots, I need to upgrade my gloves. Before going and trying everything under heaven and doing the trail and error thing...I am asking for advice from people who know - that would be you all. I am looking for a multi-seasonal (spring/summer/fall, as I have heated gloves for winter riding) gel padded, comfortable gloves that will last a few seasons. Thanks for your advice 98 Windsor Green Connie 13k COG #8566 AMA #1084059

There is no such thing. Some will last longer than others out in the elements though. Some claim to be waterproof. But so far I have not seen them. My current pair of Joe Rocket textile gloves claim "

I use the Aerostich triple digit rain covers over other gloves. They work very well. But you have to get use to the claw like design. I keep a light pair of gloves already in them. That makes it quick to put them on when needed. It can be tough trying to get them on in a hurry when it's raining. So by already having gloves in them. I remove the gloves I have on, and put these on in seconds. Then I also then have a spare pair of gloves with me. http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Aerostich-Triple-Digit-Rain-Cover-p-16447.html Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

+1 on the Stich triple digit rain covers. Most if not all so called waterproof gloves utilize a "waterproof" (inner) membrane like Gore Tex or the like. The problem is that the entire outer shell gets soaked making putting them on/off a major PITA as

Those rain covers look interesting. I just might have to snag a pair for the long rides. Interesting tip to keep the backup gloves in them for ease of use. 2003 Concours, 51K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

As I've said before, I didn't like the 3 digit alien glove covers. They are very slick on the grips. Maybe if I had not been wearing them over the heavy Olympic winter gloves they would have been OK. They will keep you dry though. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

While I was on the aerostich site, I noticed a pair of 3 season vegan gloves - they are not waterproof but advertise (thru the reviews) to ring out very well this plus the slip over waterproof shells might be the answer I am looking for....does anyone own the 3 season vegan gloves? 98 Windsor Green Connie 13k COG #8566 AMA #1084059

<quote> does anyone own the 3 season vegan gloves? </quote> No but I'm sure you can get a pair of hemp gloves are the Eugene Saturday market. AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

Can you smoke those at the end of the ride? Might be a good way to unwind after 500mi in the saddle. Take one pair for each day. 2003 Concours, 51K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Well after trying on glove after glove, after glove....brand after brand...I realized that I am going to start buying gloves each year til I die...just so I can have a trunk full of choices. So many choices for so many different riding styles, weather and needs. So I ended up choosing a pair of Dainese Airflux Kaiser gloves, they vent really well and have great padding on the heel of your hands for long rides. I will look for another pair of gloves that are more water resistant since water proof seems to be a pipe dream. I do like the idea of finding a covering that is water resistant to go over the gloves. Here is to spending more and more $ on accessories for both Bike and Rider! 98 Windsor Green Connie 13k COG #8566 AMA #1084059

I've heard that Held Akira's are very good waterproof gloves, however you will pay dearly for any glove carrying the HELD tag. I have a pair of Teknic Thunders'. They are waterproof, and very warm. however they are more like a winter glove, a bit bulky. I've heard very good things about the 'stich triple digit overgloves. they're nice because they pack small too. Only need your regular leather touring gloves and these are convienient to carry. I'm probably going to give up carrying multiple gloves, just one extra pair for a backup and get the 'stich overgloves due to the small packup size and effective waterproofing.

I got the Aerostich covers befo my 8.7k ride & hit em 2x with waterproofing silicone spray, jest like they sed. NFW were they waterproof, but they helped. YGMV. 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

I also agree that there is no such thing as a waterproof glove. I normally ride with off-road mesh type gloves as they are light weight, breathe well,give good protection and are cheaper than on-road gloves. I keep an extra pair in my tank bag along with a pair of latex gloves. When it rains I put the latex inside the off-road glove. While the latex doesn't breathe it will keep you dry and warm. The good thing about the off-road gloves is that they keep their grip when wet. When the rain stops change to the dry pair and attach the wet pair in the air flow and shortly you have another dry pair.

I'm told to try water proof snow baord (mit) shells over my gloves. Sounds like the same kinda thing at the triple diget's. I'll have to check out the prices and what not. But that's what's been on my mind. The mitten shells might be easier to get on too I'd imagine. Grizzly

During mild weather, I wear a pair of elkskin ropers (see Aerostitch) that I keep well treated with Sno-Seal. If it looks like I'm in for more than just a few minutes of rain, I add the 'stitch overgloves. In cooler weather, I use "hippo hands" over the grips that I've sprayed thoroughly with Scotchgard and my elkskin gloves (adding overgloves if the weather is truly nasty). In cold weather, it's the hippo hands and Gerbing electric gloves (or you can also use a "waterproof" insulated glove like a ski glove), adding the 'stitch overgloves if required.

I know in a little late to chime in to the original post but thought I would throw my experience in here anyways. I have had excellent luck with Teknic's Thunder W/P Glove. I ride year around here in Oregon and they haven't failed me yet. IMO they are the best cold weather/rain glove I have found. Brady Portland,OR 1999 Concours MSF RiderCoach since 2005 "The most important modification you can make to any motorcycle is to improve the skills of its rider"

Adding more to the mix... I have had good experience with leather gloves, the problems is a fully soaked glove may not dry out in time for the next day of riding, so in addition to the triple digit covers, when on a trip I also carry an extra pair of gloves. Another important note... cow hide tend to harden after being soaked & dried. Deer & elk and other hides used on the high end gloves will dry out and become supple again. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

I have the Triple Digit covers but mainly use them in summer as even the XL don't fit over XL gloves very well. I've had good luck using Nix Wax (basically looks like SnowSeal) over leather gloves. It really does a good job of "water resisting" them.

Hate wrinkled hands and fingers. My choice is SealSkinz gloves. At about $25.00/pr, they will keep your hands dry. Buy them XL and use a liner of your choice for 3 season comfort. Having ridden in the rain for 3 days while on tour......more than once, I can say it's maybe the best choice out there.

Go to Home depot or Lowes and get a pair of chemical gloves. I have been using same pair for about 10 years now. They have grips bumps and are completely waterproof. I wear a pair of wool liners under them and they have never failed me and I have ridden in tornado like conditions. They only cost about $10 and work great with my Toggs. Rubber side down, Dave

get a pair of chemical gloves
BTDT, my hands git all sweaty in em. 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

I use the Aerostich triple digit rain covers over other gloves. I reciently came back from a trip where I was in rain for 10 hours of riding. got to New Orleans at 11:45 pm. and it was raining an inch an hour. continued for another hour and a half. after it was all said and done I still had dry hands. I did use a pair of summer gloves in them though it was 38 dregrees out. remained warm and dry. SILVER DRAGON

Did you get a pair of Gerbing electric gloves? They should keep your hands warm and dry. Mine still do a great job of keeping my hands dry even if you don't hook them up the electrical connnection on the bike.

NO I HAVE NOT TRIED A PAIR JAY AS I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO KEEP MY HANDS WARM. THOUGH I HAVE NOT RIDDEN UP NORTH MUCH AND WHEN I DO IT IS IN THE WARMER SEASONS. I HAVE JUST FOUND THAT THE TRIPPLE DIGET RAIN COVERS DO KEEP MY HANDS DRY AND WITH A PAIR OF OPEN MESH OFF ROAD GLOVES THAT I USUALLY USE THAT I BUY AT WALL MART SEEM TO WORK WELL FOR ME. SILVER DRAGON

OK....I finally got fed up with wearing bulky winter gloves from Cabela's which are warm & waterproof & cheap, but so thick & inflexible that my hands ache after 45 min. of riding. I did a lot of research & finally ordered Tourmaster Winter Elites. The leather is like butter, The insulation is warm & toasty, they are pre-curved for riding, with long gauntlets. Perfect except that they are claimed to be waterproof. We all know just what that means....they will soak through in 45 min. instead of 20 like the others. After they soak through, they will take 3 days to dry properly, or 1 hour over the campfire, after which the butter-like leather will turn stiff & crispy & begin to crack & stiffen & never return to it's original, baby-bottom softness. Well guess what!! These Winter Elites have a zippered pocket in the gauntlet with a thin waterproof nylon "over-glove" !!! Enjoy the beautiful leather & at the first sign of rain, just pull over & haul the waterproof mitts out of their pocket & ride on in dryness. I'm sure my wife will not mind the 2nd mortgage required to purchase them, I got a really low rate.