• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Wearing Gaerne boots?

1965soda

Sorry if I missed it, but is there a "gear" section in the site?  I am shopping for new boots and am considering the Gaerne brand, G.King model and am wondering if anyone could provide pros / cons of this boot.  Also trying to figure out sizing (they don't come in 1/2 sizes) and if I should go up or down a 1/2 size. 

Moderators....please move as needed and thanks for your understanding!

Thanks ZG.  Can I move this or better to wait for someone with experience?

Also, since I have your attention, do you have any recommendations on boots.  I have long used tall/waterproof hiking boots but they have their shortcomings and after also using them for ATV trips they are looking pretty nasty and I would like to find specific motorcycle boots.

I am looking for something tall (that my rain pants will not creep up and expose the top), waterproof, yet comfortable enough to do some limited walking/hiking in and I could wear when the weather is decent (don't really care to change boots when the rain sets in or when it departs).  Someone I know recommended the Gaerne brand but there is not a retailer close by where I can look them over and try them on. 

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated as I am in a fairly small market and I am likely destined to mail-order a pair. 

I wear Alpinestars boots and really like em, I can walk around comfy in them fine enough but not sure I would go so far as to say hiking in em...

Thanks for moving this to the proper place MRM!

Thanks for the recommendation ZG and good point on the hiking....I see I clearly overstated that need in an effort to stress the importance of comfort off the bike.

Thanks for the recommendation Umfundisi....that price is hard to ignore.  I see they are full sizes above 9.  What did you find from a sizing standpoint...pretty true to size, run small, big, etc?

Thanks again!

Now that it has been moved you might want to change the title to something descriptive of what you want to discuss. To do so, edit your first post.  :beerchug:

ironpony.com has the AStars Web Gore-Tex boots on closeout for 130 bucks.  Those are 240 dollar boots.  I bought a pair.  They are awesome, would recommend them to anyone.  I would also recommend buying a pair of the AStars summer touring socks to go with them.  Its like butter on your feet...if you're into that!!  :))

Thats the hard thing with boots, trying to find a place to try them on.  I was lucky to find the AStars at my local Cycle Gear. 

Good Luck!

1965soda said:
Thanks for moving this to the proper place MRM!

Thanks for the recommendation ZG and good point on the hiking....I see I clearly overstated that need in an effort to stress the importance of comfort off the bike.

Thanks for the recommendation Umfundisi....that price is hard to ignore.  I see they are full sizes above 9.  What did you find from a sizing standpoint...pretty true to size, run small, big, etc?

Thanks again!

I found the sizes run true,  I have rather.. well.. large feet..  Wider than your average bear..  I found the tourmasters sizes run true and fit very well considering some nice comfy socks with my fred flintstone feet.

Thanks for the additional dialog and help with my dilemma/decision.

For those of you who typically wear a 1/2 size....did you go up or down?  Seems like a lot of the boots do not have 1/2 sizes.  I will probably find an on-line retailer with a flexible return/exchange policy and order a set and hope I guessed right....but any additional recommendations or comments would be helpful.

Thanks again!

I always go up half a size.  I noticed that when I ride all day long, my feet tend to swell a bit and it's more comfortable for me to wear the boots a bit loose.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone.  I just need to do some more research on brands, pricing, and finding an on-line retailer with an accommodating return/exchange policy.