• WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE ABLE TO POST AND ACCESS MEMBER ONLY CONTENT AND FEATURES
    Join / Upgrade / Renew your membership to enjoy full membership and posting privileges.
    For simple instructions, click here
  • Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Webinar: Essential GPS and Basecamp Skills

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
Weekly Zoom Webinars on THU evenings 8PM - 9PM eastern beginning January 13.

We will cover what topics we can in one hour with Q&A, and continue where we leave off next session.

An email reminder is sent to registrants 2 days before each session with the Zoom link. Can’t find the email? Check your email spam folder.

Motomaniac

COG Southwest Area Director
I missed tonight's webinar because I signed up this morning. I will try to be on it next Thursday. It's great that you are putting this together for all of us to improve our GPS skills. :) (y)

2andblue

Weekly Zoom Webinars on THU evenings 8PM - 9PM eastern beginning January 13.

We will cover what topics we can in one hour with Q&A, and continue where we leave off next session.

An email reminder is sent to registrants 2 days before each session with the Zoom link. Can’t find the email? Check your email spam folder.
Folks at an animal hospital last night and missed the kickoff. Very interested in the schooling, enhancing what I already know which is likely just scratching the surface.

I think this was asked before, however, are the sessions recorded and posted somewhere?

Thanks all!

fartymarty

I too missed it, I was on a trip and trying to watch on my phone at the motel but had spotty wifi, I got in I think but when I wasn't hearing anything I left and tried one more time with the same results. I then just signed off. I have watched the recording however, and I thank you guys for recording it. Next session I'll be on my laptop at home and I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for doing this guys!

I'll submit my mount photos later because I'm still refining my system.

PS. If you are still tabulating the polling data (there was a mention of it in the recording but the recording started after the actual polling) I have two motorcycle Garmin ZUMO GPS units, an XT and a 665. I also occasionally use the phone, I recommend the "Car Home Ultra" App (Android only I think) if you use your phone either on the bike or in the car. It is like a central place to keep access to all your on the road apps {WAZE, Gas Buddy, Google Maps, Bubbler GPS New, Radarbot etc.} with large buttons to go from one app to the other. It was recommended to me by Mark Wojcik and I'm still very grateful for that time he took to show it to me out in the parking lot.

fartymarty

During last night's discussion (Webinar 2) some discussion was made by Steve R. about never having something stolen from his bike and he wondered about the logic of buying a $200.00 locking mount for a $399.00 GPS. Good points on probability and consideration on where one should spend their money for the most return on their dollar. I have no problem with any of his thoughts on that, however I thought I'd post some other considerations here so as not to clutter the airwaves during the Webinar.

I have locking (admittedly overpriced) Touratech mounts on both of my GPS units and it is nice to leave the GPS powered up and ready to go when one stops for lunch (out of bike sight) or a bathroom break at a busy fueling station. I also leave them on the bike overnight at the motel, although they are out of sight under a cover. In daily use or even a short weekend ride to eat, just slipping the gps unit into a jacket pocket when leaving the bike makes sense to me. However, on a two or three week trip (or for me even a 5 day trip) my cases are already packed full and there is other stuff I need to secure such as the radar detector and tank bag. I slip the radar detector into a pocket, my cell phone in another and I have to put a small cable lock through the zipper rings of my tank bag just to keep a grab and go thief from taking it. Not having to secure the GPS is just one less thing I have to do before going in and losing sight of the bike.
It's not just the value of the GPS at stake should it go missing, it's almost the whole value of the trip. To me it's all the roads that I had planned to travel on. If the gps is gone I've lost all the routes I've made which were the largest reason for the trip and dictated what towns I would stay in etc. Yes I could just fall back on my Butler map and make a cheat sheet every night of the next day's roads, but then not only is my evening relaxation time filled up with more work but all the time I spent at home making routes and loading them into the GPS is wasted as well. Normally I like to to let the GPS handle the navigation so I can enjoy the ride and the views, however if the GPS is gone and I have to concentrate more on my cheat sheet and navigation then the whole flavor of the trip is changed. To me, any security measures one uses on a trip is like travel insurance that you only have to pay for once but you get the benefit of on every trip.
What I'm trying to say here, is that I think in addition to the $ value of the device or apparel one is trying to protect, you should consider what the other consequences are if it goes missing. You and your multi-day traveling friends all stop at a locally famous BBQ joint for lunch on a sunny Saturday afternoon, most of you throw your helmet on a foot peg or mirror and drape your armored jackets over the handle bars and go in to eat. While you are inside a pick up truck comes by and the passenger jumps out grabs the best looking jackets and helmets and tosses them into the back of the truck and takes off, all in about 10-20 seconds. The six of you come out 30 minutes later and three of you don't have jackets or helmets anymore, still 200+ miles to go and it's starting to look like rain in your intended direction of travel. A Harley rider comes out and offers you his back up sweat stained do-rag. Suddenly the guy that brought his Hi-Vis gear in and put it on the seat next to him, and the always slow guy that took time to run a cable lock through his jacket sleeve and helmet on the bike don't seem so silly. Sorry, can you tell I was raised in Chicago and had stuff stolen from me as a kid?

So valid points (?) or just my personal hangupso_O , you have my thoughts on secure mounting of a GPS unit and why I spent money on over priced Touratech mounts and locking ram ball mounts.

Anyway back to GPS stuff.

Last edited:

freebird6

During last night's discussion (Webinar 2) some discussion was made by Steve R. about never having something stolen from his bike and he wondered about the logic of buying a $200.00 locking mount for a $399.00 GPS. Good points on probability and consideration on where one should spend their money for the most return on their dollar. I have no problem with any of his thoughts on that, however I thought I'd post some other considerations here so as not to clutter the airwaves during the Webinar.

I have locking (admittedly overpriced) Touratech mounts on both of my GPS units and it is nice to leave the GPS powered up and ready to go when one stops for lunch (out of bike sight) or a bathroom break at a busy fueling station. I also leave them on the bike overnight at the motel, although they are out of sight under a cover. In daily use or even a short weekend ride to eat, just slipping the gps unit into a jacket pocket when leaving the bike makes sense to me. However, on a two or three week trip (or for me even a 5 day trip) my cases are already packed full and there is other stuff I need to secure such as the radar detector and tank bag. I slip the radar detector into a pocket, my cell phone in another and I have to put a small cable lock through the zipper rings of my tank bag just to keep a grab and go thief from taking it. Not having to secure the GPS is just one less thing I have to do before going in and losing sight of the bike.
It's not just the value of the GPS at stake should it go missing, it's almost the whole value of the trip. To me it's all the roads that I had planned to travel on. If the gps is gone I've lost all the routes I've made which were the largest reason for the trip and dictated what towns I would stay in etc. Yes I could just fall back on my Butler map and make a cheat sheet every night of the next day's roads, but then not only is my evening relaxation time filled up with more work but all the time I spent at home making routes and loading them into the GPS is wasted as well. Normally I like to to let the GPS handle the navigation so I can enjoy the ride and the views, however if the GPS is gone and I have to concentrate more on my cheat sheet and navigation then the whole flavor of the trip is changed. To me, any security measures one uses on a trip is like travel insurance that you only have to pay for once but you get the benefit of on every trip.
What I'm trying to say here, is that I think in addition to the $ value of the device or apparel one is trying to protect, you should consider what the other consequences are if it goes missing. You and your multi-day traveling friends all stop at a locally famous BBQ joint for lunch on a sunny Saturday afternoon, most of you throw your helmet on a foot peg or mirror and drape your armored jackets over the handle bars and go in to eat. While you are inside a pick up truck comes by and the passenger jumps out grabs the best looking jackets and helmets and tosses them into the back of the truck and takes off, all in about 10-20 seconds. The six of you come out 30 minutes later and three of you don't have jackets or helmets anymore, still 200+ miles to go and it's starting to look like rain in your intended direction of travel. A Harley rider comes out and offers you his back up sweat stained do-rag. Suddenly the guy that brought his Hi-Vis gear in and put it on the seat next to him, and the always slow guy that took time to run a cable lock through his jacket sleeve and helmet on the bike don't seem so silly. Sorry, can you tell I was raised in Chicago and had stuff stolen from me as a kid?

So valid points (?) or just my personal hangupso_O , you have my thoughts on secure mounting of a GPS unit and why I spent money on over priced Touratech mounts and locking ram ball mounts.

Anyway back to GPS stuff.
I am so looking forward to this series and echo your thoughts on the TT mounts.

My first Garmin 665 I got just before Johnson City and my buddy won a mount he gave to me. That was heaven not having to take it on and off. WHen my wife bought me the new XT I did not have a second thought about springing for the mount. I don't have much of a problem putting money into the ride to make it how I want it as I ride almost every day. The convenience and security of locking it down once you have the wiring in place and not having to worry about it is really worth it to me.

lather

I agree, no GPS means spoiled trip. I carry a back up Zumo. And I have needed it twice. Not because of theft. They fell off and got run over.😢

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
Will there be a powerpoint posted for session 2 and future sessions? I can't do the video with my metered internet access.:cry:

Sorry... There was no dedicated powerpoint for this session... Images were screen shared and there was discussion. This is the planned format for most sessions.

freebird6

I agree, no GPS means spoiled trip. I carry a back up Zumo. And I have needed it twice. Not because of theft. They fell off and got run over.😢
Not sure I can get it off without a key on the Touratech. THe XT mount sent with the unit is not known for being very secure out of the box.. I think I sent mine back in for the improved version. I got tired of the little rubber things to ensure that it stayed in place and attached to the bike. Current set up is easy to see and yet low enough to not be in the way of anything. Added the TPX and heads up remote flasher above the instrument cluster when I upgraded from the 660 to the XT. Never needed the sound because that light in the middle is really hard to miss.
77.jpg