• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What can GPS do for you?

Brett0769

Street Cruiser
I swear by GPS, both on my bike and in my cage but I know there are a lot of people out there who wonder why they should fork over their hard earned coin for yet another in an endless stream of electronic gadgets. Much less, going through the trouble of wiring it onto their beautiful wind horse. So it occurred to me that I have a story and others must also have stories, so why not share them with those of our GPS-deficient brethren who are struggling with the idea of which farkle comes next? When I took my last ride to the beach, I was on a deserted stretch of slab toward the eastern side of NC when I realized that I had been riding a LONG time without getting gas. I looked at my GPS, which keeps fuel mileage, and noticed that I had over 230 miles on the current tank. 'Wow! What fantastic mileage I'm getting, can't believe there hasn't been a hiccup prompting me to go to reserve yet... especially since I've been bending the speed limit quite a bit'. So I slid my fingers down the tank bra feeling for the space between the two clips that sits right above the petcock and felt for the lever. Yep, you guessed it, already on reserve. Yours truly had fallen for the oldest trick in the book, the 'fail to switch back from reserve when getting gas' trick. I got a distinctive twinge of fear in my back for just a split second as I considered having to walk 20+ miles in the dark along the highway looking for an exit, which had become quite sparse by now, and hoping that it would even have a gas station... that happened to be open at the late hour I would get there. Then, I rembered that I have a GPS! I just hit 'menu' and did a quick search for fuel. Several stations returned nearby in various directions and I picked the first one, approximately 7 miles away. I'm instantly reassured, knowing how close I am to fuel, and listen intently to the GPS lady's excellent directions. 'In two miles, take exit 173 on the right.'. comes the familiar sing-songy instruction. I take the exit, turn left, ride 2.3 miles, turn right, travel half a mile, turn left, then left again and et voila, gas station. I also picked up a lottery ticket, a soda and some beef jerky. I pay my coffee rental in the little but tidy restroom and hop back on Connie. I MAKE SURE to take my petcock off of reserve, reset my fuel mileage in the GPS and re-select my initial destination of our beach rental house and off I go, disaster averted. Sure, assuming I was close enough to a cell tower I could've called for the highway aid from my insurance provider when the gas ran out, but how long would I have been waiting there... on the side of the road... in the dark? I could've also pulled over, whipped out an atlas or a map and a flashlight and tried the crapshoot of guessing which nearby intersection was most likely to contain a gas station but in the end, I didn't have to do anything like that, because I had spent less than 6 months of insurance premiums on this super handy little device that had just saved my butt from an enormous inconvenience. Needless to say I highly recommend GPS. It's a load off of your own mind to be sure, but add in getting one for your significant other or teenage daughter and they start to look priceless.

My wife thought it was an elective purchase, which I guess it really is. But after a couple of trips with it in the car, she was sold on it. Being able to thumb through local points of interest, being able to find a bank or ATM, etc. It's pretty handy. On the bike, it has become invaluable. And right now, it's my speedometer and odometer, until my new cable shows up! Mike B / Gig Harbor, WA

When I bought my, now her, Garmin my wife had a fit. "How laszy are you anyway, just look at a map for gosh sakes" Now it comes on when she starts the car and stays on until she turns the car off, sing praises about it to anyone who will listen. Had to buy myself one to keep on the bike, because she wont part with hers even for a little while. I too use it for a speedo and odo, even though the bike gauges work fine. The garmin reads a little slower than connies speedo, 55 on the bike is 52 on the garmin, so I trust the garmin to be more accurate except when accelrating fast, it does lag a little then. 1990 Aint she a pretty Tomato (the bike ofcourse) wedshots albums http://community.webshots.com/user/sawfiler64/albums/most-recent

I love gadgets. But I'm also conservative on spending. For me the GPS has greatly reduced the glancing down at the map on the tank bag and allowing my eyes to stay focussed on the road. The voice prompts allow for advance notice of upcoming turns followed by a quick glance at the GPS to validate. The combined use of the GPS and mapping software has allowed me to explore hidden roads that I would likely not have found. I used it extensively to refine a ride I lead back in Sept. The ride-time/arrival time is excellent for ride planning so that you can hit your target stops (gas, rest, meals) and complete the ride on time. They are not perfect (I now have a dead end dirt road in VT named after me by fellow COGers) but they do add a whole new dimension to the riding experience. Plus you can always turn it off and pretend you don't have one! Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg

Well I am one of them who wonder why. I many respects I think its a short cut for proper planning. 1. I can agree with the example scenario where it was very handy to find the closet gas. Or maybe a motel, etc. Or to get that motel phone number so you can call ahead, and so on. In these cases there are some times when I think it might be kinda cool. -- At the same time when on long trips I plan my fuel stops for each day. I know how far I plan to ride, and what towns I am getting fuel at, and how far between them. 2. This last summer wizeguy and I rode some cool backroads of SW Washington on the way to the NWCOG regional rally. These were true country roads and there were a million turns on this and that road. This was not a simple follow 2 or 3 two lane highway route. If I would have planned that and then tried to follow by having written down all the instructions it would have been ok, but with wizeguy having a GPS it was nice letting it just tell you where to turn. 3. In my #2 example just mentioned keep in mind, if it was me I would have programmed into the GPS each and every turn as a waypoint. This way it tells me to turn where "I" want to turn, and not just program in the end point and let it tell me to turn where "it" thinks I should. -- This was a hard concept for some people at the Rally to understand. They kept telling me you just plug in your start and stop points and it does the rest. NO, NO, NO!. Not for me. Thats maybe how you do it, but not how I would do it. 4. Why. Because GPS's dont always plan the right route. They will tell you turn turn and go places that you dont want to go. Plenty of people get lost with GPS's. etc. I have seen and heard way too many stories for this. -- Of course those stories always include the disclaimer that for every time the GPS leads them astray, it has also saved their butt. 5. I have also follewed people with GPS's who just blindly follow then. With a high level route programmed, Start at town1, go to town2, then to town3, and finally arrive at town4. I recall the GPS pick "downtown" as the route through those towns. So we ride right past where we should have turned, rode all the way to downtown, rode through stop light after stop light, then came all the way back out to the road we should have turned on a 1/2 hour earlier. Hello!! In short I see some cool advantages to them and really do wonder if I should take the plunge. So far I have not taken that plunge because I am not sure I want the labotomy that seems to come with it. 2003 Concours COG #6953 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm

I contend that the gps did not save your bacon at all. If you had not noticed that the mileage was high and the gas low you would still have been standing next to the road in the dark wondering how you were going to get to that gas 7 miles away. If you also did not have a working cell phone or were out of service area then having the gps tell you a phone number would not have helped you either. I have no reserve switch anymore. I reset one trip meter every time I get gas. I watch the gauge and when the needle hits the lower peg on the gauge that is where the bike use to hit reserve. I know I have about 50 miles more to get gas. That usually puts it at about 300 miles to bone dry. I think you could have searched for gas with little worry. If you have not modified the fuel gauge then you could look and see if you have any room left before the needle hits the post and know you have over a gallon left. Or put the tap back to ON and see if you have hit reserve yet. ---------------------------------- I will answer any question. It is up to you to figure out if I should have.
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

I have been a map and compass guy for a really long time, so I have had no desire until recently to get a GPS. As a matter of fact I teach it to Boy Scouts. But as usually happens, my inner gadget freak eventually overcame my inner frugal freak and I dug up a couple good deals on Amazon.com... I got one of these: http://tinyurl.com/6xl23t and one of these: http://tinyurl.com/6opwpd and have been happy as a clam. Saved a BOATLOAD of money over new on the GPS, saved about 40% on a new powered cradle. Did I really need it? No, but it really is a convenience, and the way I have it mounted on my bike dash shroud it is much safer to glance at than the map in my tank bag. Plus it has all kinds of other displays and stuff to play with on long boring interstate legs... ;p Spent the time learning the MapSource interface and made myself take it around town for a couple weeks to learn the functionality, now am quite comfortable. Is it a replacement for a map, compass and brain? Absolutely not, but it's a great aid for long distance travel in my book. Just another tool for rides to make them more interesting and enjoyable. And at this price, with a Mfr. one year warranty, from a seller with loads of good feedback, I'm pretty happy. :) Steve K. '02 Concours COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'

Slybones, my GPS has taken the place of my paper maps (although I still carry them). I do plan my routes ahead of time on my home computer. I do not just let the GPS take me from point to point. In fact I try to take the straightest crow-flying route I can to my destinations and I never fail to discover some great roads which incidentally rarely include the slab. I create the route, the GPS obeys my wishes turn for turn, it's the paperless equivalent of a route sheet. I love it and will never be without it. It's not cheating, it's technology.

I use my GPS as I do any other tool. Planning out long trips I pull out the Rand McNally and study the routes. I'll then look at the individual state maps and often go to a more detailed local or county map for even better detail and clarity. I then hunt up the route on my PC and route it out plugging in way-points etc... Load it up into the GPS and play with the details a bit before I ride. I still have a paper map clearview on top of my tank bag for reference and again, "the bigger picture". I think if you use the GPS as another very helpful tool and not as a replacement, (as it really can't fully replace a paper map) you will be much better prepared for the ride. However it can do many things that a paper map can not do. Such as holding pertinent info on individual locations addresses, search features, arrival times etc... that you just don't have on paper maps or travel books. Sure you will get a screwy routing if you do not change the defaults to suit your needs: (and sometimes you do anyway!), so to rely on the GPS as your sole tool is something I do not do, nor recommend. The other concerns are using the GPS or the map while moving. With the GPS mounted up as I can view the road as well as the screen I do have a better stream of information to rely on whilst in the move. Looking down at my tank bag and fully away from the road can be dangerous. Which is not to say using a GPS while moving is anymore, or less dangerous, as anything that distracts your eyes from the road can be consequential. In any event I've been using a GPS since the days of the black and white Streetpilot series and I love them for all they can offer. I still however carry and use paper maps and reference travel books as well and of course the GOG membership handbook too! AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

"Help you practice your U-turns!" Gerry and Cherry Barnett Enfield, CT lets not forget what it can not do Gerry It cant get you out of liberty NY :p

JLB, 2Linby Congradulations on avoiding the free Labotomy that seems to come with the GPS in many purchases. You give me hope. I agree with your statements. You only replaced/suplpemented maps with a GPS but not route planning and brains. I guess just see too many that replaced all 3. Makes me skeered that would happen to me too. 2003 Concours COG #6953 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm

So which ones are waterproof for M/C's?
All the ones on this page are. http://www.edgegps.com/eCart/listCategoriesAndProducts.html?idCategory=31 CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

krumgrinder, got any pics of how you mouted that quest with the M/C mounting kit? 2003 Concours COG #6953 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm

Been using GPS on land vehicles since 1999. Been using mapping programs to create routes since that time and even wrote our own software application to do some conversion that made a better waypoint file from the Delorme Street Atlas USA output. While some complain about Mapsource, it is sure nice to have to be able map, download and go. The ability for newer GPS to self-route is also a huge advance I still carry paper maps (better to plan the big picture) and generally carry a basic route sheet, just in case the GPS were to crap out along the way. Following a route or not the GPS is like having an electronic finger pointing at the map saying "you are here." Even when not following a route it is nice to know where you are... and where you have been. This is another benefit of the GPS. The Track Log. How many times have you stumbled onto an excellent piece of road during a ride or trip, not to remember where the heck it was. Upload the track log, review the path of travel and your all set. The GPS and accompanying mapping s/w allows me to pre-plan trips and give me an idea of what distance I can expect to cover. When I begin to plan a trip I set the start & end waypoints, run the route and jot down the distance and travel time. Then I set routing options to NO HIGHWAYS, NO TOLL ROADS, NO U-TURNS, and let 'er rip, and compare the two results. My end result is usually a combination. -- Steve Smith, #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Planning for a trip to the bay area last year to see a Rush concert with some buds, I spent about 4 hours looking over maps, the Garmin s/w, google maps, etc., plotting a route through northern CA. I had several way points, as you say Fred, plotting my own route. I had an absolutely awesome trip through that area, largely as a result of that planning and gps plotting. There is no way I would have found my way through some of the areas we were in with just the paper maps in the tank bag (which were also with me, btw). Also, we didn't really have an idea of where we were going to stay each of the two nights on the way there and back; we were just going to go until we felt like we'd had a long enough day. The gps was extremely useful to punch up motels within a radius of, say, 30 miles, and see what was available. I used to think they were an unnecessary gadget, and in a lot of ways I suppose I still feel that way. But it is a very handy device, and for what you can get a good refurb unit for these days, it doesn't cost much to find out how one will work for you. I won't head out on a trip of more than a day without one if I can avoid it. Especially now with the off-pavement aspects of the V-Strom. ;) Rob

There's an alternative to a waterproof GPS, which is to get one of these for your existing GPS. http://www.ram-mount.com/aqua_box_mount/aqua_box_mount.htm Still have to consider sun and vibration though. I have a Zumo 550, but I bought one of these for my Pioneer Inno. Works very well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GARMIN-STREETPILOT-2730-GPS-XM-RADIO-MP3-TRAFFIC_W0QQitemZ110314919007QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGPS_Devices?hash=item110314919007&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A2%7C240%3A1308 There are a bunch of factory refurb Garmin 2730's on Ebay. For the $170-$199 range. 1yr warranty, all the std accessories, etc. Any thoughts on these? 2003 Concours COG #6953 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm

Part of the attraction is the built in MP3 player and plugging it into the autocomm of listening to music while on longer rides. My current player sucks. How easy to use the controls for volume and changing tunes while gloves on, etc. 2003 Concours COG #6953 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm

I have a smaller 60CXs and I use it to track where I've been. ;) I also locked in a number of important way points for emergency reasons. It has helped for both.... Having it up higher than my tank bag map it helps. Also pre-loading my route is the way to go.. ;p I use it on long trips only. Yuma, Summer in Yuma is not hell, but hell is a local call :) 2006 Connie http://community.webshots.com/user/Lateck?vhost=community

Use of the MP3 player and ease of use of its controls while the MP player is playing. Does it have a volume control? On the Connie I have an Autocomm Communications unit. It has a plug in for the MP3 player and other devices. Dims and cuts the music when you talk into intercom etc. Its nice but there is no volume for the music. That is expected to be adjusted on your player. If I cannot adjust the volume of the music on the 2730 then I might as well get a 2720 instead. It has all the same GPS features, without the MP3 player, XM, weather etc. which actually needs a subscription sevice. Of which I figure I was not interestd. Its pretty much for the MP3 capability. It thats not going to work for me I can get Factory Refurbed Garmin 2720 for $110-$120 range. 2003 Concours COG #6953 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm

Saw in this month's American Motorcyclist that Garmin is giving AMA members a 20% discount on their non-aviation products. Didn't read the details though.

I can not adjust the volume on my XM output but RadShack sells a volume control that I have used for a few years now. I wore one out. It lasted a couple years though. I can adjust volume with gloves on if you mount it with some velcro or something. Takes some creative placement but works. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102975 ---------------------------------- I will answer any question. It is up to you to figure out if I should have.
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Actually thats a great idea. I could stick with existing Mp3 player with an external volume control. I assume stick the player on max, and then adjust down from there with the external volume control. There are a few other things I would prefer, but would get by if I at least had this. Then just get the 2720 Garmin for the GPS. Does not have all the fancy stuff. But meets my need for a electronic map versus a paper map, and emergency lookup. I can still do all my own route planning etc. Lots cheaper too. Thanks. 2003 Concours COG #6953 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm

Well after years of telling people with GPS's they had their brains sucked out, looks like I am joining the Labotomy Club. Feel free to give me all the fodder I have coming. 2003 Concours COG #6953 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm

Sly, Aerostitch has several inline volume controlers, some with amps. I use one from them that has a small thumb wheel adjuster velcroed between my garmin and the clock on the old style dash. My garmin doubles as a mp3 and gps/speedo odometer. Never leave home without it. 1990 Aint she a pretty Tomato (the bike ofcourse) wedshots albums http://community.webshots.com/user/sawfiler64/albums/most-recent

Slybones, I finally got home long enough to get some pics for you of my Quest/cradle/RAM setup on the shroud. Nothing fancy that others haven't already done, but they are in my webshots: http://rides.webshots.com/album/551426492nRBBZl BTW, my Quest has volume control on it- don't need an external control??? Steve K. '02 Concours COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'

Do you still carry a paper map Sly? fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder Had to turn back cuz it told you to turn to late yet? fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodderfodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder Stood holding up your buds trying to set your gps to take you three blocks to the bbq place you been to a dozen times yet? fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder fodder I am just to broke to own one... this week. ---------------------------------- I will answer any question. It is up to you to figure out if I should have.

Garmin does give a 20% discount to AMA members. On top of that other items in their catalog are discounted as much as 45% :) You cant beat that! Doug

Well, I bought my wife a GPS for a trip she was taking to DFW to visit our daughter without me... man, she has turned into a real explorer now. Previously she was afraid to travel in the "big city" much for not knowing her way. Before this, the best thing she ever learned from me was when in San Antonio, if you can't find your way home, always follow the signs that say El Paso... but now she can go anyplace and she does. I reckon I'll be getting one too just to keep up. :)

well I wasn't ever going to buy a GPS, but my 2 kids R very directionally challenged, so I went to WalMart a year ago XMAS & got'em a GPS & since the price was good I got 1 for the wife & I when we travel... to answer <what can GPS do for you?> the thing I like what it can do for me is lead me to the nearest feeding/drinking bucket w/out having to get lost or ask directions!!! I always ask the locals where the best food is & the GPS saves me the time of writing down directions as I just scroll the GPS until I find the place they told me to go eat & so far everyone has been loaded in the GPS & what more do U need than how to get to a place to eat & drink right??? ----------------------------- Easy Does It, But Do It & May U Always Keep The Rubber Side Down

Enjoy it while you can. A report today in GPS World highlights the dire straits facing the current GPS satellite system. As early as next year, the Air Force may no longer be able to maintain a constellation of 32 active satellites, with 8 in danger of imminent failure. A niminum of 24 must be maintained to assure sufficient positioning capabilities for ground based location. Some excerpts from the article follow: The United States Government Accountability Office (GAO) issued on May 7 an alarming report on the future of GPS, characterizing ongoing modernization efforts as shaky. The agency appears to single out the IIF program as the weak link between current stability and ensured future capability, calling into doubt

This sounds to me like they need money which is why the GAO and Congress are being involved. Somebody went to a Congressman and told them about the problem, he got the GAO to look into it and now the reality of what's being faced is on the table. Hopefully they're going to put the right effort behind it and fix it. Sounds like a National Security matter to me in just the reduced weapon capabilities. If anybody's waiting for my permission to use my tax dollars on it, they've got it.

This technology will not be allowed to fail. Most modern weapons systems make some use of it. The cost of not having it would be higher than maintaining the system.

Well after years of telling people with GPS's they had their brains sucked out, looks like I am joining the Labotomy Club. Feel free to give me all the fodder I have coming. Well I posted that back in Nov and I still dont have one yet. For a while I was looking at refurbed Garmin 2720's and 2730 on ebay for $120 with 1 yr warranty. Not it seems those are gone. The ones I see out there now are more for complete units, used, but all parts and nice. Even the used, no warranty, doesnt even have all the parts one are going for more than I want to spend. At least compared to the deals they used to have with 1yr warranties. -- Ya snooze, ya loose. So I was reading a M/C gps review page and Garmin Quest 2 was M/C friendly and got decent reviews. I see ebay is packed with refurbed ones for $115 range with free shipping and all the accessories, etc. 2009 Maps. And 1yr warranty. So what say ye on the Quest 2 units? 2003 Concours, 53K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

I don't have a Quest 2, but they're portable and would function properly on a motorcycle. That being said... the buttons are small and not glove friendly, so that could be an issue for you. CNET says that the menus are not intuitive, as a multi-Garmin owner, I find that assertion easy to believe, so expect a learning curve. It also isn't going to have the security features that a motorcycle specific GPS is going to offer. My Zumo has a special secure mount, for example, that requires a teeny special screwdriver (worn on my keyring) to get it out. It also can be locked with a password that can only be retrieved/reset if the GPS is taken to a specific location... my driveway. Though I thought it would also be funny to set that location at the local city police station. :)

Interesting comment on the button size. Something I had not considered. For the most part the end user reviews I read complaint mainly about the speed in recalculating new route when you miss or skip a turn. OR searching for next available gas, something like that. Otherwise comments were not too bad. Several were from M/C owners. The lack of an A/C adapter in the kit seemed to be the biggest complaint. Have to order seperately. Has the 12 powercord, USB, etc. But no A/C adapter for in the home. There was one post in this thread about a quest. 2003 Concours, 53K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Slybones, Be sure to check the manufacturer's website and see how much map updates are. At some point you will want to update the maps and that cost has to be added to your purchase price to see your true cost. Also, I've rallied against GPS since the day it came out. Then I got one and saw the beauty of it. No looking at tank bag maps through shiny clear plastic. No unfolding a giant state map when you only need a small section. ALL of the alternate routes when you encounter construction or an accident. Points Of Interest (POIs) that you'd never know existed without one. It's real handy if you have friends or family members who live in rural areas where you could never be expected to memorize all the twists and turns of these old country roads. Handy at night, easier and far less distracting to see that you turn at the next street instead of trying to read street signs in the dark. Oh yeah, you can back up all this information to SD Card. Most units will track your route and store it, keep a list of your destinations, all of your user data can be backed up and restored if needed.

There's no AC adapter for my Zumo, but it connects to the PC via USB so it gets power from there when in my home. The Quest is supposed to be portable, as is the Zumo but battery life on the Zumo is about 4 hours. Not much good if you're going hiking and camping for the weekend. When it comes to street signs at night or day, that's where a GPS can really shine. You can read the names of upcoming streets on the GPS before you can even see most signs. Mine is wired through Starcom and the voice is clear as a bell when it cuts in over my music. Most of the time I do not have a destination in place, I instead have a virtual instrument cluster showing with speed, a trip odometer and fuel odometer showing. When I do have a destination in place, it tells me my ETA and current compass direction.

1 more thing mine and maybe some others show, when I don't have a destination chosen is the posted speed limit where I'm riding. Not totally accurate due to changes over time, but a reminder any way. Also my current speed much more accurate than the bikes speedo. Seems that the bike reads about 10 percent faster than true mph. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

Well the Quest 2 arrived a few weeks ago and I am recovering well from my surgery. I mean getting it all wired up and learned how to use it. Seems all pretty straight forward. As for how it works, it seems to work great. The backlighting is plenty bright. I have it set for 50% backlit, and can change to no backlight or 95% backlit, and the 50% setting by just pressing the power button. Seems to have all the basic features I need. No MP3 player or any of that, but I didnt want any of that. So it works nice. As someone mentioned earlier the buttons are too small. So working it with the gloves on will take some practice. But for my intended usage its should be fine. The Quest 2 came with a windshield suction cup mount, as its only mounting method. They do give you this little round disk with sticky tape on it. This has a very smooth and flat surface for the suction cup to stick to. The idea being you can tape it to your dash and then use the suction cup mount on the disk from the dash. Well this is what I did on the Connie. Then I just plug it into the power socket and off we go. Then at a motel, or camp, etc I can completely remove it all or just the GPS, etc. For riding back and forth to work I can remove it all and leave it at home. Plus it can go right into the truck or car using the same mount. And didnt cost anything additional. Not as stable when pushing buttons as I would like as it can move some if you dont push straight on. But I will see how it goes and adjust as necessary down the road. Given that I dont really use it for the daily commute and its more for occasional long trips, I went for the completely portable approach. Will just have to see. For free this is worth a first try. http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/images/IMGP3770.JPG http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/images/IMGP3771.JPG http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/images/IMGP3772.JPG http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/images/IMGP3776.JPG http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/images/IMGP3775.JPG http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/images/IMGP3777.JPG 2003 Concours, 54K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Hey Sly, glad to hear you got it hooked up! Sounds like you found a FRUGAL way to mount yours, but I will say again how pleased I am with my RAM mounted Garmin Motorcycle Cradle in case your solution does not work out. I've had it on the bike for a year now and used it on several trips- it's been very useful and a lot of fun to have on the rides. I did manage to bust a pin where the power cable plugs into the plastic cradle itself back in June, but Garmin honored the OEM warranty on it and replaced it inside 10 days. And, because the Quest series has the built-in LiIon battery, even though the cradle was not powering the unit it went on battery power and all I had to do was charge it overnight. I bundle up the car mount and take the Quest on all my work trips now, first thing I do when I get in the rental car is pop it up on the windshield. Amazing how much less stressful visiting large cities is now. I do wish I had the Quest2 which has all the maps pre-loaded (mine you have to download them for the area you will be traveling through/to in advance) but since I bought this as an experiment to see how I would like it or if I would even use it, I'm still satisfied. As prices fall over time I'm sure I will upgrade to a more current unit at some point! Steve K. '02 Concours 'Locomotive Breath' COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'
2822107220014238429Coipiz_th.jpg
2901812650014238429UfVKJm_th.jpg

Sly, Do be watchful of the suction cup mount. In hot weather I found that it would come loose from the disk. One other thing I really like about the maps on the screen on strange roads, it gives you some indication of how sharp up coming corners are and when a chance to pas maybe just around the next corner. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

good point. I was thinking last night after having the pics and stuff, that maybe a safety cord would be a good thing. So if it does come loose its not dangling off the pavement by the power cord. 2003 Concours, 54K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Brett, I'm glad the GPS saved your bacon and they are nice to have. I've got one on my phone which works really well when I need to find something. I'd like to share another side to the gps/gas story. I was riding a Saddlesore 1000 ride with two friends, both GPS fans and also radio connected. My entertainment was ear plugs, but hey, I like it that way. We left the DC beltway and started south towards Norfolk. Of the tree of us, the guy with the gps had the longest gas range, I was the middle one and his buddy was the one with the shortest range. As we approach Norfolk short gas guy tells long gas guy he's on fumes. No problemo, the long gas guy pushes his button and viola' - take the next exit for gas. Indeed there was a gas station right there. As it turns out, of the 400+ riders on this trip, about 10 of them have the same range as short gas guy and they are at this hole-in-the-wall BP station in a seedy side of town. His receipt printer is broken (a real problem for IBA rides). No problem, I'll go and take a leak while he's reloading it with ink and paper. Ten other guys, wearing mesh, textile, leather or Aerostitch suits are standing along the side of the building because the bathroom is a one-holer. We were there for 30 minutes. Well heck, this is a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence. Right? We travel on and are heading weat across Virginia, and pass the exits with the huge travel gas stations with the restaurants, 24-seat bathrooms and truck washes. Short gas guy raises the flag and we dive for the nearest exit. We are in the middle of nowhere, at a gas station with 8 pumps, a one-holer bathroom, and crappy food. I need to eat on a reasonable schedule due to type 2 diabetes, and had some snacks. Since it was lunchtime, I wanted to get something nutritious. My choices were either a frozen burrito, a corn dog, fried chicken (from yesterday) or beef jerky. Based on these experiences I'm still working on maps and reading exit signs. (This IBA ride was almost all on the interstate, though I also ride on back roads.) Maybe someday.... I see there are refurb tom-toms for $59... might be worth it for the car. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

spend 4 weeks upsetting a friend that is a map person and thinks he know how to ride a motorcycle he can ride but has picked up some bad habits if you do not update your gps it will take to some interesting places i loaned one for the trip from Pa. to Or good trip. and it was not updated for a few years took us on a seasonal road that did not open till August we were there in May and June came to a gate had to turn around remembered what my friend said earlier that i could not loose him he rides a 1500 nomad i ride 1987 Connie i was sitting along the road having a water when he caught up said thought you couldn't he got mad and took off caught up to him at the next stop sign. had a lot of fun with the gps will update software he still talks bad about the gps but that might be he would have to break down and buy one and be smart enough to operate it. it would be that means change and you get that mentality i don't like change but they just don't want to change even if it helps.well enough of me jabbering have fun out there keep the shinny side up kevin

I HAVE A GARMIN ZUMO 550 WITH THE XM RADIO WEATHER AND TRAFIC. LOVE IT. MAKES FINDING GAS AND EATS REALY EASY ON A BIKE AND WHEN YOU GET THERE THE ABILITY TO FIND YOUR WAY BACK TO THE PRIMARY ROAD. BUT THE XM RADIO AND THE ABILITY TO HAVE MUSIC TALK RADIO NEWS AS COMPANY ON LONG HAULS IS INVALUEABLE. SILVER DRAGON

I'm the antithesis for this whole conversation board, and happy where my brain is (not). Being a Luddite, low tech/no tech kinda guy, I've paid the price in how fellow riders regard my style. Most of the time my fellow riders have a dash board full of stuff, and there always seemed to be a preoccupation with gadgets. My ride doesn't involve answearing my cell phone, resetting or checking a GPS, or whipping out a camera. I'm always in the moment, by myself and taking it all in as I go.My riding is seldom domestic, and all the added stuff would make it attractive for theft anyway. Yeah, I've gotten lost, wondered where my next gas or sleep site might be, but it's aleays been part of the adventure for me.I love my frequent riding buddies; Larry, Calvin and Gary are just way above me in their use of electronics, and relish in the newest technology. I'm there to give some balance to the equation, take some ribbing, any tell them they're still number one. I did at one time manage to run a siren, lights and radio while on a motor, but maybe Tequila has finally taken it's toll.

I will no doubt put one on my bike(s) this year, but I'm not in any hurry. In times past some of my experiences with folks that DEPEND on the GPS have been unpleasant. I was riding a SS1000 fund-raiser last year and was riding with two other blokes. The lead ran until he was low on fuel then punched the gas button and found fuel. The problem is that the gas station was in a bad neighborhood, the receipt printer was broken, and it was a single-seat bathroom. While the three of us could have dealt with this, there were 10 other riders who also trusted their GPS completely and the line for the bathroom was 15 minutes long. So much for efficiency. The same thing happened the next time, we ended up at some hole-in-the-wall place on a small exit and the choice of food was an egg roll or fried chicken... and it was all a few days old. During this time we passed large truck stops with 30 gas pumps and bathrooms holding 20 people at a time. I'll get a GPS but will still use my judgment and brain on when to stop, what kind of place to stop at and how to get to my destination. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

I'll get a GPS but will still use my judgment and brain on when to stop, what kind of place to stop at and how to get to my destination.
Exactly my approach. I use it as an FYI device for the most part, but it is nice to be able to depend upon it for information when I forget something... ;) Steve K. '02 Concours 'Locomotive Breath' COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'
2822107220014238429Coipiz_th.jpg
2901812650014238429UfVKJm_th.jpg

I will no doubt put one on my bike(s) this year, but I'm not in any hurry. In times past some of my experiences with folks that DEPEND on the GPS have been unpleasant. I was riding a SS1000 fund-raiser last year and was riding with two other blokes. The lead ran until he was low on fuel then punched the gas button and found fuel. The problem is that the gas station was in a bad neighborhood, the receipt printer was broken, and it was a single-seat bathroom. While the three of us could have dealt with this, there were 10 other riders who also trusted their GPS completely and the line for the bathroom was 15 minutes long. So much for efficiency.
Dave, Not sure of the guys GPS, but on my Zumo 550, when I punch up gas, it gives me a list of locations. It is still my choice to make and if I don't like what I see when I get really close, I tell it to choose another.

I'll get a GPS but will still use my judgment and brain on when to stop, what kind of place to stop at and how to get to my destination. That is why the GPS is only attached to the grips through your eyes. "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

I understand that the GPS ultimately is only an informational device. My less-than-positive experience was due to the complete trust my two riding partners put in the device. Of course, I violated the first rule of an Iron Butt ride - always ride alone. It was hard to do that since there were over 400 of us on this ride. It was a fundraiser for the VA Redwing 19 Navy Seals and Army Special Ops aviators killed in Afghanistan. Good comments though, and I'll most likely buy one this year. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

I have followed those who blindly follow the GPS. And is what lead to me resisting for so long. I have always been a map and study kinda guy. Know where you are going. Dont need no electronics to tell me where to go. I know plenty of people for that. I still plan to always plan and study. Know where I am going and where to turn. And not rely on GPS. But I have also many times wondered how far to the turn. OR spent time looking at every street sign looking to see if this is the one. It can be handy to know that the turn I want is still 1.5 miles away. I like the search feature. Is there a Subway in town for lunch. Closest fuel, etc could be nice just for that. Even of you dont use it for navigation. Last trip I gave it the end point, but did not program my route. And since I studied and knew were "my" turns were. It kept doing a lot of recalculating. It would tell me to turn around. I would go past its u-turn route. So it would recalculate and give me a new u-turn route. I would ride by that. So would recalculate and give me yet another u-turn route. Finally after 15-20 minutes of recalculating it finally figured out my route and got on track with the program. 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Where I have found the GPS the most use is navigating around strange (to me) towns or cities. It know the one-way streets etc. I travel to England fairly often and, even though I grew up there, the GPS is invaluable - again, especially in cities. It will direct me without distracting me - I'm not looking for street names on a map, or trying to figure out EXACTLY where I am - brilliant! The other great use is if there are traffic hold-ups - turn off ASAP and the GPS will find me a new route! Don't leave home without it!