• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What computer do you take on the bike?

smithr

I want to do some planning and route creation on the bike over a long trip.  Just wondering what computers others are using and how they are holding up?

I have used a Windows 10 2in1 but they're not really that great since memory space is limited. If I NEED to carry a laptop, I have an HP that works well. I have a carry case that is somewhat padded and the computer has held up well after a few trips. I'd recommend a smaller screen size to make packing it easier.

Well, for personal use I have Macs, so I'd probably go for a Macbook Air.

If I had more choices than what Cupertino offers (!), I'd be looking for three main characteristics:
  • Lightweight
  • Smaller screen
  • SSD (hard drives are less susceptible to shock damage than in the past, but SSDs are as big if not bigger and at reasonable prices now)
  • Metal case. Look for magnesium or aluminum. When I worked for a PC company, I saw some horrors with plastic cases. You pay a little more, but it's worth it.

I've had very good luck buying business models from the factory-refurbished store of top-tier brands (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.). My wife's machine is an HP Elitebook, for example.

Macbook Air - I have the 11" - or expect the vibrations to tear up any other lap top. It was hard to pony up for but will last my whole life. My '09 MacBook still works like a champ. Serviceable and etc. It has actually gone UP in value. But, at 17" it isn't going on my bike. My non Mac laptops are picture frames now - useless and not worth repairing after a few rides. Momma always said 'cheaper costs more in the end'. Those Dells and HPs aren't made for much action - and are nothing more than expensive picture frames now:-/

For much less $$$ you can get a tablet - any tablet will outlast a regular laptop on a bike.

I have an old Lenovo X series - small screen (11" i think). Love the portability. Has an SSD. Has seen YEARS of abuse.

Looking forward to upgrading to a Microsoft Surface though.

smithr1 said:
I want to do some planning and route creation on the bike over a long trip.  Just wondering what computers others are using and how they are holding up?

What ever you take(if WINx), if it has a SATA bus, get a SSD for it.

If it is MAC, same.

I carry a iPad for short trips, longer trips will mean a new Ultrabook of some pedigree.

On long trips, I carry 2
Ancient Dell 17" "portable workstation" monster, running xp, standard drive, always carried horizontal.
And a mini Acer 9" flip top with an SSD, XP also.
Both have travveled 50+k with me.

Never even thought of a laptop on the bike...
I usually pack the Samsung Tab 4, but my iPhone is
usually is sufficient for most trips. 

I find that loading my Garmin, from preprogrammed routes, along with using other software, at whatever place I'm staying works so much easier..
Not to mention I don't have to use a magnafieng glass and scroll the screen back and forth... to route stuff... also allows me to download photos and such, to alleviate my hatred for smart phones... :rotflmao:

Yeah, I have one, but its a phone... and when I waste the battery for every small task, and its dead on the road in BFE... it ain't much use to me... also, I travel many places where cell covereage is zero... but that's where the best roads are. :motonoises:

The 10 year old Acer mini, has been priceless for these things, been using it before the "smartphones" got smart, to play ADV adventure tag..equipped with an ajr card back then, it worked pretty good, but still, you ain't getting anything in or out near Greenbank Observatory In w Va.

my work laptop (Lenovo W540) 15-inch workstation replacement w/ 2 SSD drives and it's bag fits nicely in a saddle bag, but it doesn't leave room for much else

I had to retire my old HP laptop. It was obsolete anyway, but just quit booting or even turning on, even when plugged into a charger.

So I got a new HP laptop (notebook they call them now). Its got Win 10 and a touch screen (which I don't use), lighted keyboard (nice inside the trailer when it starts to get dark), and it seems to be pretty decently fast for a non-I5/7 machine.

I have BaseCamp on it, of course, and Open Office so I have a Word-clone and Excel-clone for the mileage award spreadsheet.

I will be getting a portable 8-1/2 x 11 page printer for it soon, since I now have a mail service that scans the front of mail I receive, and shows me online. I can choose to trash it, have them mail it to wherever I am, or scan x-number of pages so I can read/print it.

My gypsy Life just won't work without a laptop along.

During winter camp (starts November this year) I'll have my full Dell pc in the trailer with the big LED screen. Then when I break winter camp in April 2018, I'll pack up the Dell and put it back in storage.

my work computer is a Dell.  I carried it back and forth (about 45 miles) each day riding the motorcycle.  generally, it was in my trunk case.  it handled all the bumps along the way.  I just got a new one this spring.  another Dell.  the old one was working fine, but the lease was up.  :great: