• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What do I need to know?

free2ride

Bicycle
I'm picking up my new Connie tomorrow afternoon.  Are there any issues or quirks with the Connie that a new owner should know about?  I am coming from a K1200GT which is a great bike but had its issues that were discussed frequently on forums but not always quickly addressed by BMW.  I'm just wondering if there are any things with my new bike that I should be aware of.  Thanks in advance.

Congrats on the new bike. The bike really doesn't have any major issues. Although you could do some reading in past threads. The main things that have cropped up on  some of the bike were: Kipass issues (more on the earlier bikes), TPS issues, loose header bolts, and a few other things on some of the bikes. But the bikes have been mostly very reliable.
    I suggest just scrolling through some of the older threads and doing some reading. You will probably learn of any idiosyncrasies that you may be interested in. Doing the same in the accessory and tire /suspension sections may also give you some idea's how to spend more money yet. Anyway enjoy your new bike and welcome to the forum.

I'd be very careful with the twisty thing on the right handle bar.....  :motonoises:  Have a clean pair of shorts available when you decide to twist it too much.  :)

Keep the maintenance up to date and ride it! 

The linked brakes will take some getting used too.  You will feel the pulsing, it's just the way it is.....  Best bike of the 10 I have owned over the past 20 years!!!!!!!!! ;)

BECOME ONE WITH YOUR KIPASS "Thingy" I have mine around my neck with a spare battery, waterproof carrier and ID card just N case all that fails!

Regards
phillip

Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum!  The bikes as a group are rock-solid reliable; individual bikes may display problems - many of which have been resolved in the new machines.  But the folks around here include a number of inveterate wrenchers who are always looking for ways to improve things.  This has an interesting effect.

Having such things discussed so frequently and in such exquisite detail (often complete with pictures) de-mystifies the process to the point where people like me, who have very little wrenching experience, are inspired to give it a try!  Just this week I figured I'd try bleeding my clutch.  The fluid was brown and the response was awful.  Well I did the work and then it didn't work at all!  After I calmed down a bit, I came back in and found a wonderful illustration of what exactly was going on right here in the Tech Pages, came out and had it running right in about 10 minutes!  Well, maybe 20, but it worked great.  You really do get a lot of satisfaction out of wrenching your own bike.

That was so successful that I'm thinking of trying to swap the cruise control out of the '02 and into the '04.  It's amazing what having the sure knowledge that I CAN find the answer here can do for my level of confidence.  Have a great time with your new Connie - that's what this group is all about!

Picked up my Connie this afternoon from the dealership about 4 o'clock.  I had a bike club meeting at 6 so I went out and rode for a bit.  Although I don't have many miles on the bike yet I like what I see at this point.  The bike is much quieter than my KGT.  The Connie also seems to handle better at slower speeds.  Another difference that I noticed immediately is that it is much easier to push back while seated than my GT was.  Time will tell how much I like it but so far I am impressed.

Rob said:
You didn't mention the part about how much fun it is to crash a BMW club meeting  :08:

Do you find BMW guys to be a little full of themselves? I kind of put them with Corvette Guy.

Tim said:
Rob said:
You didn't mention the part about how much fun it is to crash a BMW club meeting  :08:

Do you find BMW guys to be a little full of themselves? I kind of put them with Corvette Guy.

Not at all.  We have a great club which I intend to remain in.  It is a chartered BMWMOA club but we have all makes of bikes.  No brand snobs that I am aware of.  We have a lot of great rides and get togethers.  Anyone in the Dallas-Ft Worth Metroplex or surrounding area is welcome to come check it out.

When Rob mentioned crashing the BMW club meeting he is referring to the fact that last month 3 of our members moved from BMW to Connies.  They always ask at our meeting who has a new bike or a bike to sell so last night I told them I had traded my 06 K-GT for a shiny new Connie.  I handed the mic to Rob who said "ditto".  He handed it to Herb who said "ditto to".  It was funny. 

congrats on your new bike!! I too am brand new to the wonderful thing they call C14 concours. had mine a week now. One thing i thing that i feel you need to be aware of is how difficult it is to get that smile off your face under your helmet as you ride it maybe even a giggle or two. Hey Bro. ENJOY IT these bikes rock!!

I'm still waiting for a post on how to remove the smile from your face after riding this beaut..........

So far it is a very nice bike but I have only ridden her around the city.  This weekend I am headed up to Lake Texhoma for lunch so will get to hit some roads that allow for a little speed and cornering.  I am looking forward to it.

Myself and friends from LonestarBMWriders bundled up this 36 degree morning and headed to Pelican Landing on Lake Texhoma for lunch.  Of course we took the very indirect route to get some decent roads.  I have to say that the Connie was a joy to ride and handled wonderfully.  The only thing that would have made it better was if the break in period were past and I could have poured the coal to her to see what she can do.  Having to stay under 4K limits your acceleration. 

BTW, I had a smile on my face. :) :) :)

Just learned ...The ground clearance is lesser than sportsbike...nearly scratch my undercowl at one medium size road hump  ???...my friends ZX10 & ZX6 passed through the hump with no issue

But would you expect other? I'm sure that you realize that the ZX6 & 10 have shorter wheel bases (for quicker turning) excellent ground clearance for leaning and great suspensions. All in packages that are each probably also over 200lbs less weight than the C14. So they have a big advantage over your when sporting. The important thing is that you can still run with them. The question is, can they quickly slap three + worth of gear on their bikes , then ride say 300+ miles in comfort?  :))
  The bikes are what they are. Sure the sport bike should absorb bumps in turns a little better and have better ground clearance. Since that's what they're designed for. But you probably chose the C14 for different reasons.  They're both great bikes with different purposes. As much fun as I would have on a ZX10. I doubt I could ride it for more than a 1/2 hour before the pain set in.  Well maybe an hour on a good day!  ;)