• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What do you do?

wlselph

Bicycle
This is NOT a bash the KIPASS thread. Please. These fobs are part of a great bike and we have little choice but to deal with them.

I'm curious what keys others take with them when they head out for a ride. I keep the fob in my jacket pocket but I do not take the back up. I always take my jacket with me and never leave it on my bike. After reading many other threads, it occurred to me I might want to take the back up emergency key. What are other riders doing? Where do you keep the back up key? Did anyone order an extra fob?

If stranded by the fob or other mechanical failures, any experience with road side assistance? Does AAA support motorcycles?

Thanks much.

I only took both fobs on long trips. Even if the fob dies. It should work on RFID, by placing the slot where the fob key normally is (must remove the key) over the tap on the top of the key switch housing. This should allow the KIPASS to read the fob through RFID. That is how to start the bike when the fob battery dies.
I used the fob key to have extra keys cut. That way I could use a normal key to get under the seat or in the panniers. Or mostly, to fuel the bike. The stove knob key is too soft, so I never took it out of the ignition switch, except to lube the switch to prevent KIPASS failures. I kept the extra keys in my pocket on a normal key fob. It was much more convenient that fumbling around with the fob key or the stove knob key.
It would be in your best interest to read up on KIPASS workarounds to keep yourself familiar what to do in case of a KIPASS failure of different types. FOB battery, Bad fob, Stuck ignition actuator switch, or just a plain old bad motorcycle battery. It could save you a lot of grief when you get bit by KIPASS in one way or another. Hopefully you'll never have a problem. But it's better to be prepared. Just a thought.

So far, I just remove the key from the ignition to fuel the bike or open a saddle bag. It does seem easier to have an extra key in my pocket for such things. Does a lock smith have blanks for extras?

I also carry extra batteries with me. Another thing I carry is instructions for various work arounds.

Any ideas on road side assistance? Thanks.

I have a C10 so can'[t help on the key fob issue. I do have the AAA roadside assistance, you will need to get them RV endorsement. Used it once while riding thru Chicago. Great service, very knowledgeable driver. Knew bikes and how to handle them and their owners.

Cap'n Bob said:
I only took both fobs on long trips. Even if the fob dies. It should work on RFID, by placing the slot where the fob key normally is (must remove the key) over the tap on the top of the key switch housing. This should allow the KIPASS to read the fob through RFID. That is how to start the bike when the fob battery dies.
I used the fob key to have extra keys cut. That way I could use a normal key to get under the seat or in the panniers. Or mostly, to fuel the bike. The stove knob key is too soft, so I never took it out of the ignition switch, except to lube the switch to prevent KIPASS failures. I kept the extra keys in my pocket on a normal key fob. It was much more convenient that fumbling around with the fob key or the stove knob key.
It would be in your best interest to read up on KIPASS workarounds to keep yourself familiar what to do in case of a KIPASS failure of different types. FOB battery, Bad fob, Stuck ignition actuator switch, or just a plain old bad motorcycle battery. It could save you a lot of grief when you get bit by KIPASS in one way or another. Hopefully you'll never have a problem. But it's better to be prepared. Just a thought.

Cap N',  Where did you get your fob keys cut at?  My local Ace said they couldnt do it.  I wouldnt think it needs to be perfect, just good enough work in the side cases and gas cap, like you said.  Or did you buy the blanks and then have them cut?

3 years of riding concours only carry one key, I either put it in tank bag or pocket. You will get a message on LCD when battery is low, change battery and you should be fine. Never had a problem. That's what I've found.

Clinton said:
Cap N',  Where did you get your fob keys cut at?  My local Ace said they couldnt do it.  I wouldnt think it needs to be perfect, just good enough work in the side cases and gas cap, like you said.  Or did you buy the blanks and then have them cut?

From the "C14 Parts Directory" at the top of the "Concours 14 / ZG1400 General Chat and Tech" section menu:

Keys

Key Blank - ILCO KW14R  Note: Double check your keys and this information. There seems to be two types of keys, beginning with either an "A" or "B". If you have an "A" key it should be a "KW14R" key-blank.  If you have a "B"  key, it should be an "KW14" key-blank. This was true on the 2008. But I'm not sure how they may be on newer models (so double check).
http://www.mysecuritypro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=663
Another key blank is an ilco X254. I used this on my 08. I do not remember if I had an A or B key.

Hope it helps!

I never remove the key from the bike.
I had a couple of keys made using the one from the fob and I keep it on a key chain in my pocket along with one for the Givi top box.
Had to go to a locksmith as it is an odd blank.

On long trips my wife carries a spare set of all.

Skeeter

Skeeter said:
I never remove the key from the bike.
I had a couple of keys made using the one from the fob and I keep it on a key chain in my pocket along with one for the Givi top box.
Had to go to a locksmith as it is an odd blank.

On long trips my wife carries a spare set of all.

Skeeter
That's what I think I will do. Have several keys made at the lock smith and only remove the key to lube it periodically.

Wonder what I should use for lubricant? Graphite? I'll bet Fred knows.

I usually only carry the 1 FOB with me but on long distance trips I'll also take the backup RFID FOB.  I don't use the keys in the FOB's very often, I use the stove key for the fuel just because it's easy to get to when I pull up to the pump, but as Bob mentioned it is a very soft key so I have to be careful with it.  When I close the fuel cap, I press it firmly down before I even touch the key and while holding it down turn the key counter clockwise to avoid putting stress on the key.  So far this works fine...

However, I did had spare keys cut that I carry for access to the seat/bags, I just find it much more convenient that way.

As for towing, even if AAA does tow Moto's I wouldn't use them,  any towing companies they have agreements with probably don't have much experience towing Motorcycles so I'd be leery....

I have MTS *(Motorcycle Towing Service)  prob 80 bucks a year for the supreme package and if you get stuck they will dispatch a truck that has experience towing Motorcycles...

Keep FOB in pants pocket or waterproof jacket pocket. I wear the small passive ID FOB on a lanyard around my neck.

I keep the stove knob in the ignition receptacle and use the FOB keys when needed.

Craig