• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What earplugs do you use?

Jjjtx

Crotch Rocket
I need to try a new brand type or style.

The ones I have caused a lot of pain / ache / discomfort after all day riding.

The pain was not internal but around the outside since I think they were too stiff for tight fitting motorcycle helmets and didn't 'give' enough.

What do you use and what brand?

Links to products would be helpful.

I purchased a set of silicone custom made ones to my ear canal; not cheap (about 110 canadian), but worth the price, I like listening to music so I wouldn't enjoy going deaf!

Before that, I used the common orange silicone foam ones.

Hi,
    I use no earplugs while riding. :(

I like hearing whats going on around me! :eek:

At work I use the "EAR Classic" earplugs! :great:

Not to soft not to stiff! ;D

Attachments

• 240-382.jpg
    240-382.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 109
seagiant1 said:
Hi,

Problem is, at highway speeds you can get some hearing damage after a period of time.  If you don't wear plugs.

Think about it when you are driving a car.  With the windows up, you can probably hear very similar to what you'd have with plugs in, on a bike.

JTX said:
seagiant1 said:
Hi,

Problem is, at highway speeds you can get some hearing damage after a period of time.  If you don't wear plugs.

Think about it when you are driving a car.  With the windows up, you can probably hear very similar to what you'd have with plugs in, on a bike.

Hi,
      Sorry, not my experience! :-X

Where I lost hearing, was working 35 years on Ships/Sea-Going Tugs, with big diesel engines!!! ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• tumblr_p3144iFUSd1v1gz89o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p3144iFUSd1v1gz89o1_1280.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 165
I will second the suggestion to have a custom set made.  I got tired of dealing with the foam ones. Id get them in and sealed well, and then put my helmet on and from wiggling my ear it would pop them out, or they wouldn’t be sealed tightly anymore, and they were just a hassle. I want to an audiologist and they took a mold and sent it away for a custom pair. I’ve been using them for years. I did not get the silicone at the time because it was more expensive than the other material(Some type of rubber or something), and now I’m wishing I would have. The other material works fine but it’s not as soft as the silicone would have been.

FWIW,  I first tried the do it yourself custom molded earplugs. You get two containers of putty that you mix together like epoxy and then stuff in your ear canal until it hardens. I didn’t have good success with those and threw them away. My experience may not be representative of the majority however.

I would highly recommend Eargasms. They are about $30 on Amazon and work great! Very comfortable and still allow enough noise thru so I don't feel disconnected from the environment. A lot of musicians use these as well. I didn't like the normal orange foam ones, because I couldn't hear anything and that was disturbing.

On a side note, to those out there that don't where any ear protection, highway wind noise in your helmet averages that of a rock concert. I never liked ear plugs in the past, but since wearing these over the last two years, I've noticed less fatigue after long rides. Just my two cents.

I use two types.
For"around town" riding, where speeds won't be too high, and tops are more frequent, I use Howard Leight silicone, reusable plugs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LH0UJEE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For longer rides, and higher speeds I use 3M Grippers: https://www.earplugstore.com/ear-soft-grippers-corded.html

I tried MANY different types of plugs, and the Grippers are the among the most comfortable, and by far the most effective, I found. You have to pay attention when you roll them between your finders, and my left ear canal must have some funky shape, because sometimes I have to move it around to get it to seal (my left side only, my right goes right in always). Once they expand, they are simply great.
BTW.. they are supposed to be throw-away, but I re-use them many times each. Eventually they lose some of the effectiveness.

Attachments

• Howard Leight plugs.jpg
    Howard Leight plugs.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 3m-ear-earsoft-grippers-corded-earplugs.jpg
    3m-ear-earsoft-grippers-corded-earplugs.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 108
Really good suggestions here I appreciate it so far.

Some other members might learn a thing or two ;)

I use "Mighty Plugs" from BPI-Beneficial Products Inc. WWW.earplugsonline.com
These are a sticky bee's wax that you need with your fingers till soft and jam
the plus in a CLEAN ear canal. I believe they low sound levels by 33 db. They
are comfortable, I even sleep with them. I think a 6 pack will cost $19.95.
When they get dirty throw they out.

SilverConnieRider said:
Sailor_chic said:
I really like these ear plugs and have used them for years. They are corded, so I hang the on the handlebar when I make a stop. After a couple of days of wearing them, I wash them with soap and water and are good to go again.
https://www.amazon.com/Rockets-Reusable-Earplugs-Corded-Plastic/dp/B0024XBAGO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1517855369&sr=8-5&keywords=moldex+rockets

The real reason is there PURPLE.  ;D

That is a possibility too.  :great:
But they also do a great job of restricting the wind noise, but can still hear traffic well.

Staylo said:
FWIW,  I first tried the do it yourself custom molded earplugs. You get two containers of putty that you mix together like epoxy and then stuff in your ear canal until it hardens. I didn’t have good success with those and threw them away. My experience may not be representative of the majority however.

I had custom ones made in Cortez at the Nationals. Big ear brand I believe. Best thing I ever did!

I also had tried the do it yourself type as Staylo did. Also had the same results he had, waste of $10.00.

Cliff  :beerchug:

9mm fmj bullets...not lying either!

9mm-ammo.jpg

I've been wearing cheapo squishy plugs from Walmart.

I had a nice pair of plugs (let me see if I can find them)  Here we go http://a.co/hIBy5s6  the SurFire EP7's.  While I LOVE them without my helmet on (say for shooting or whatnot) I find that they are uncomfortable when riding the bike, that plastic piece through the center pushes into my ear and make them uncomfortable, I also wear glasses and the ear piece can get pinchy.

Old Steve said:
I have the same problem with earplugs hurting my ears. These are the only ones I've found that I can sleep in:
https://www.uline.com/BL_1022/Max-Lite-Earplugs

I wear them when riding, and for sleeping in hotels. Great noise isolation, and I can't even feel them. Other plugs I've tried would wake me up after a couple of hours.

Very helpful !  I had been using industrial 3m style plugs and I found out the hard way that they Effin HURT in a motorcycle helmet after a few hours.

Several years ago, I went on a quest to find the perfect Earplugs for ME.

I sampled nearly a dozen pairs, and landed on these:

https://www.amazon.com/Moldex-507-6800-Pura-Fit-Earplug-Uncorded/dp/B01HJTW51Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518360389&sr=8-3&keywords=moldex+6800+pura-fit

I use them for everything, including sleeping in hotels, shooting, chainsawing, riding, concerts, etc.
These were among the highest dB reduction factor and still cheap, and comfortable.
The MAIN thing was that I could wear them for extended periods of time under my helmet.

A few years ago, I had custom Westones "made" by an audiologist.  I don't remember which model these are, but they are designed to block louder noises and let ambient sounds through.
Needless to say - I hate them.
And wearing them under a helmet was literally worse than wearing NO earplugs at all.  :mad:

Biggest mistake I made was not buying custom molds with integrated Drivers that I could wear UNDER my helmet and plug into my Sena 20s.

Right now, I''m wearing the Moldex's under my lid, and turning my Sena in-helmet speakers up to 11 while I ride.
It's not ideal.

Good luck with the search.

gr

Attachments

• PuraFit.jpg
    PuraFit.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Westone.jpg
    Westone.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Moldex2.jpg
    Moldex2.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 113
Old Steve said:
I have the same problem with earplugs hurting my ears. These are the only ones I've found that I can sleep in:
https://www.uline.com/BL_1022/Max-Lite-Earplugs

I wear them when riding, and for sleeping in hotels. Great noise isolation, and I can't even feel them. Other plugs I've tried would wake me up after a couple of hours.

After all the suggestions posted, I went with these.

I used them at the range last weekend and they worked well.  I haven't been on the bike to try them, but I can already tell that they will be WAY better than the 3M industrial style plugs I've been using on the bike.    They are way softer and likely wont make my ears hurt.

Thanks for all the suggestions and this would make a great sticky for earplugs !

Radians CEP001-T Tan Custom Molded Earplugs
I just got these.  I got two sets thinking I would screw the first up.  I need good plugs both for riding and drumming.  I felt it was easy to make the plugs and I am still using the first ones I made.  They work great for drums.  I forgot to take them on the bike the other day but my guess is they will do very well. 

I ware my helmet speakers right up against my ears and most foam plugs rub on the speaker cover I made and create low frequency noise.  The way these lay flat I am expecting this will not be a problem.

I played drums for 4 hours the other day and almost forgot I had these in.  When I pulled them out I was shocked how loud I had the music set to.  I would say you get close to the rated 24 db of attenuation at most frequencies anyway.  But I was still able to hear most details in the music and normal talking levels when I needed to.  I was shocked after reading other reviews of these.  Works for me.