• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What happened at Cliffs? Well...

mrredshoes490

Well, not to say that the C-14 is an ugly bike stock BUT...
At Cliffs, I saw all these great machines that had been modified to look and sound fantastic. Guys were very creative and after speaking with several riders and getting there input, I decided to take a leap, a leap of faith! And man Im happy I did.

2 points kept coming up: one was the IVANS tune, and secondly, engine guards.
Let me address the engine guards first as she can become quite heavy at the wrong time and I would like to keep her looking her best.
I'm 5'9 160lbs so she definitely out weighs me lol

Realizing there are only a few manufactures that we have to choose from as some have gone out of business, I didnt want to wait until a set i like came up for sale. So, I purchased, after a lot of research, and conversations with TRex a set of T Rex engine guards. I know, lots of discussion on how they might drag on the right hand side. Hopefully I can put that conversation to rest. Cant speak to the old bars but,

I had them installed at the dealer and when I picked up my bike, I had 4 guys come out and lean her down past where I would lean her and SHE STILL HAD PLENTY OF CLEARANCE. Yes I know, My bad I didnt take a picture.
In my humble opinion, theres nothing wrong with these guards. I put her through the paces on the way home and am confident she can hang in the corners. she would have to wash out before they touch. I also grabbed a pair of their luggage racks and front wheel protector.

2: oh yes Ivans performance products ecu flash. GET IT DONE. VERY impressed.
I purchased a Two Brothers Black Series pipe and he flashed her to match.
Threw on a couple of bar end weight for bling and have a set of accessory lights on the way for the front under the mirrors.

So what happened at Cliffs, well it was a great education for a new owner like me to see how you fine gentlemen care for these machines.

Thank you. I am now completely satisfied with her, and completely broke lol.
Be safe all of you. see you soon

Attachments

• C14 with mods.jpg
    C14 with mods.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 91
  • C14 2 brothers exhaust.jpg
    C14 2 brothers exhaust.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 20230503_152341 (1).jpg
    20230503_152341 (1).jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 20230503_152321.jpg
    20230503_152321.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 87
I had them installed at the dealer and when I picked up my bike, I had 4 guys come out and lean her down past where I would lean her and SHE STILL HAD PLENTY OF CLEARANCE.

You made 1 mistake in your test. In your test the suspension was not compressed.
ie; When you're in a turn, the bikes suspension is compressed by your weight and the g force of the turn.
That compression will greatly effect the clearance.

I'm just highlighting a common error.
With your weight, but not knowing your riding style I suspect you'll be fine with the engine guards. A rider has to get pretty aggressive to drag them, and most don't.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: You musta been at another table than me? Don't recall if we met?

Last edited:
Good point Ted thats why i took her through a few corners on the way home. Yes we did meet. I was the gentleman with the Masons cap. Looking forward to riding with you. be safe.
John

Instead of costing you money it helped save you money. By talking to people, getting suggestions & looking at other bikes you're more likely to get it right the first time. So, no do overs.

If you didn't meet Ted, you didn't miss anything except a lot of gibberish about red! šŸ˜…šŸ¤£
"Hey", I don't always talk about RED.
Sometimes I don't even mention RED or that RED bikes are superior to other/lesser colors.
As far as {Cliff's}"
By talking to people, getting suggestions & looking at other bikes you're more likely to get it right the first time".
I agree with Cliff about getting suggestions (don't tell anyone I sed that) But, here is why I questioned us meeting.
You sed; 2 points kept coming up: one was the IVANS tune, and secondly, engine guards.
There are many opinions about everything you can do on a Connie. So, seek lots of opinions. (even Cliff's)
The ones you choose are great. I am not knocking anything you did. Just making a point. (see below) <evil grin>

ie; Most at my table use Steve's Flash (1 didn't), we were talking about a Roll-on that we did between 2 bikes with differing Flashes (the RED bike won), we prefer Shiner Boch, we prefer not to sleep in a tent, the guy I was with was the one that has drug the T-Rex "a lot" and ended up in a ditch at the National, & (Partially because of that) I have a brand new set of the T-Rex fronts that I want to sale. (Hint hint)

Ride safe, Ted

PS: (Hey Cliff) My RED Horseshoe Mountain T-shirt arrived on Wednesday. Looks great!

Last edited:
The shirt would probably look better in a different color - but I'm told Horseshoe Mountain is a great place no matter the color of the shirt. It makes the shirt easier to find in the drawer, right Ted?!?

And the bike performance color argument was settled long. But poor Ted is just as deaf to that resolution, as he is color blind when it comes to that God awful color RED.

But like most kids, Ted prefers "Candy" to most things. Candy Cardinal Red, Candy Arabian Red, Candy Diamond Red, I'm starting to see a trend here. But hey, circus clowns all over the planet agree with Ted, they prefer red for their single and two wheeled machines - which means you are in good company Ted!