• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What Intercoms will work?

connie_rider

Hi all, I'm trying to determine what Intercoms I should buy.
Currently have a Scala Rider Team Set.
Want something better.

I'll start with;
    I have a Shoei Neotech Helmet.
    My wife has a Nolan N-com (N91 )
      (Both are new)

My plan was to buy pairs of Sena 10S intercom units.. 
    But this type unit hangs on the side/below helmet supposedly will not mount on her Nolan N91 helmet.
    Plus, I would prefer an intercom that installs "into" the helmet not below the helmet.

So, I did some research; Found that I can buy a Nolan N-B1 Intercom for Judy's Nolan and a Sena 10U Intecom for my Shoei.
Both seem to be exactly what I want.

To use them, I would have to pair the Sena 10U and the Nolan N-B1.
    I'm concerned the two brands of intercoms will cause problems?
      I'm computer/electronics challenged... (ie; stupid)

NOTE: Sena advertises that the 10U Pairs easily with "most" other brands on Intercoms.
          I sent repeated notes to Sena and asked if it would pair with the Nolan.
    They have unable or unwilling to answer my question.

Does anyone know if the Sena and Nolan Intercoms work well together?

Suggestions of a better plan??
Please share your thoughts.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Video's on Intercoms;
      Sena 10U; Will fit into (not below) my Shoei Neotec
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-10u-bluetooth-headset-for-shoei-neotec

Nolan N-B1; Will mount into (not below) her Nolan N91 
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nolan-n-com-b1-for-nolan-n1039190868543e-helmets#ask_and_answer_tab

Ted's gonna be our guinea pig  :great:
I'm looking at the same Sena unit for my Neotech.  Although I'll pair it with a 20S in my wife's shorty.  Let us know how you like it.

Bruce_Reafsnider_TN said:
Ted's gonna be our guinea pig  :great:
I'm looking at the same Sena unit for my Neotech.  Although I'll pair it with a 20S in my wife's shorty.  Let us know how you like it.

The universal pairing option is from Bluetooth 3.0 and higher, so if it is implemented in the both units' firmware, then it will work.

Sena replied with ;
Most headset bluetooth communicator uses HFP or A2DP or Both.
If the Nolan uses these, they might work.
                    :mad:

Ted

Ted,
Have you considered the 10R that comes in two sections and surface mounts to the helmet?
Seems this model would work on any helmet and they are very low profile.
We've had the SMH10 for several years and they work great. They're not perfect but I can recommend them.
Jorge

Thanks, I'm also looking at the 10R.
I sent Sena a note to ask if they fit in a Modular.
(ie; where does Boom Mike install)

The probelm is, the Nolan 91 has plastic along the lower edges of the pads.
I think I would have to drill holes anywhere I want wires to pass.

Thanks for the info/video Craig.
Seems to be possible, but hopefully I would have to do that every time we got on/off the bike?

Ride safe, Ted

I have not paired my Sena with a Nolan but I have paired it with a Scala. I have used the adhesive mount for my Sena on my Shoei Neotech I would be surpriseded if it would not mount on the Nolan also. The adhesive is only good for about 3 months. I then have to re mount it again with the double back adhesive that is used for automotive trim.

connie_rider said:
Thanks, I'm also looking at the 10R.
I sent Sena a note to ask if they fit in a Modular.
(ie; where does Boom Mike install)

The probelm is, the Nolan 91 has plastic along the lower edges of the pads.
I think I would have to drill holes anywhere I want wires to pass.

Thanks for the info/video Craig.
Seems to be possible, but hopefully I would have to do that every time we got on/off the bike?

Once they are paired, they should stay paired unless they are reset.

I will be glad to give you a hand, SIR.

Ride safe, Ted

I sent notes to another Sena technical support.

Answer came back immediately,, that they would be compatible.
Surprisingly the first Sena Technical Support suddenly decided to answer my question too.
I suspect someone at Sena talked to someone..

Leaving town tomorrow. Will be back in a few and will continue the discussion.

Thanx to all;  Ride safe, Ted

Ted, have you tried the Sena?  I am very unhappy with the Sena 10s that I got for Denise and I.  they sound good on my end, however, there are absolutely worthless at blocking wind noise.  My Scala Q2's did FAR better than the Sena's do.

I am not familiar at all with the unit you are looking at, but if it's possible to try one out, it would be worth the trouble....particularly on Judy's end.  if your mic doesn't filter out wind noise, she's not going to be a happy passenger.  ::)

Dave,
Have you contacted them?
There are a couple of things I don't like about our SMH10, but noise cancellation not one of them. I've had people not know I was riding, when I was going 75-80 MPH. I thought the 10S was an upgraded version of what we have... maybe not.
The things I don't like are that when by myself (not using as intercom), I can't disable the vox, and it tries to contact repeatedly if there's a lot wind noise from crosswinds, second thing is intercom higher priority than phone,wich has caused me to miss several turns from Google maps.
Maybe the 10S is not an upgrade after all...

I agree with Jorge. You should check with them about the noise. It hasn't been a problem at all on the SMH3 on my wife's helmet and my SMH10S. We both have full-face; I'm not sure if that makes a big difference.

Jorge, I have disabled VOX on mine through the phone app and had to do it for the same reason—and it also auto-answers a phone call even if I don't want to take it. I'm pretty certain that it can be turned off through the menus on the headset, but I am lazy. Perhaps it's a feature added on the 10S?

yeah, I contacted them.  the suggested that I put a vinyl cover with a small hole over the boom mic to limit noise.  a really hokey solution to a problem.  mine does not have voice activation either.  pressing button to turn com on and off is the only way to talk when needed or turn off so we both don't have to endure the wind noise.  I'll be buying another brand soon becasue these really are unacceptable.

I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing or what.  here's my original thread about it.....along with a link to their "solution".

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=68126.msg563707#msg563707

I bought a SPH10 Sena for my wife's shorty helmet.  I had the older (pre-usb) SMH10.  Wind noise was pretty bad.  Wife said she got headaches when riding so I removed them for her.  I might try the 10U for the Neotech but thinking about a Scala for her helmet.  Don't think she'sd like turning the unit on/off to talk.

Wow Dave, that's disappointing.
We both use the wired Mike, maybe that's part of the difference. Since they have  clear front, maybe the noise cancellation works better. Irene has a modular, but I used wire clips and routed the wire so it's out of the way.

Ed, yes, you can disable vox from the set-up menu, but we like vox for intercom. I just wish one could disable it for "a session" when I'm by myself.

Dave, that's disappointing. I thought you would have clear/wind noise free sound...
I called Cliff on my phone and he answered (using his Sena 10S) recently.
He was riding.
I couldn't believe how clear it was. No wind noise whatsoever.

Ok, I now have my answer from Sena that the Sena 10U and the Nolan NB1 will pair.
Craig sent a note showing how to pair the units...
Now, I have to convince myself to spend the big bucks.
(Still not quite convinced this is what I want to do).
Starting to think I should just do a Sena 10U and a 10R and keep the brand the same...
But, I'm unsure if the Mic of a 10R works in a modular. (and I'm tight)

Ride safe, Ted

Update; After communicating with notes for 2 weeks, I Called SENA "Tech Support" to ask questions in person.
                The SENA Tech said he thinks they will work.
                Sent me locations in Houston to see them that might let me try in the helmet.

Still not happy with their answers, so I Called Revzilla to ask their opinion.

Revzilla's Gear Geek immediately told me the SENA and he Nolan will pair but it's a PITA.
  (Wife wouldn't use her phone, had to trick the SENA into thinking it was pairing with a phone)
The SENA 10R and 10U combination will work together fine.
    10U really fits nicely into helmet,
    10U/10R intercoms would cost me about $80 more than the 2 pack 10R units.
    The 10R units have slightly better speakers.
    Even told me how to get them to better fit into my Shoei Neotec and Nolan N91 helmets..

Bottom line, Revzilla answered all my questions in a couple of minutes.
                  SENA Tech Support failed miserably on answering questions!

A Big thumbs up to Revzilla.

Ride safe, Ted