• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What is the biggest and best top box tail trunk?

goarmyonem

Training Wheels
Who makes the biggest capacity possible, and best quality available tail trunk that I can take long trips with, and fill full of groceries and garage sale finds? Which one would be the most comfortable backrest for my passenger and where should I buy it from?

Shad and Givi come to mind. I have always used Shad because they seem to be less $$$ than Givi after mounting plate and backrest are purchased.

Alas,
The largest capacity is a CORBIN, something like 76 liters. It is a ludicrous amount of money for a Volkswagen sized wheelie maker hanging off the back of a C10 or 14. Ask ZG he had 1 (or 20 in assorted colors).  Other than that I think the Givi is the largest and can be had in 56 or 57 liter capacity. Still pricey though compared to a Shad.
Matt

Other people have mentioned the Givi 57-liter top-case, and I have one of those on my Connie.  I can vouch for it, it is cavernous enough to swallow literally every piece of gear I wear to ride at once and still has room for more stuff.  Between that and the two saddlebags, I make runs to the grocery store with ease.  The Monokey system is one of my favorite bits -- a single key lets you unlock and open the bag, as well as easily detach it when you want to bring it with you, which was a major thing when I was looking for one.  I like to pack my saddlebags and trunk like suitcases for trips and just unhook 'em and bring them into the hotel with me.

The only problem with the big Givi is the price.  The case is very pricey (and I didn't even get one of the ones with electric stuff like additional lights!), the adapter plate is another expense, and then the additional backrest pad is yet another additional purchase.  Still, Givi makes high-quality stuff -- I've seen more than a few bikes running around with 15+ year old Givi hardbags on 'em -- so I say it's worth the investment, but it's all depending on how much you're comfortable spending.

I have a Givi 57 liter with brake light kit, back rest and mounting plate. Total cost was $700+ if I remember correct.  Good quality works great.

Here's a Jesse 75 liter trunk, that big enough for ya? PS I just put it up for sale on ADV since I haven't been riding much in the past year and a half.

100_0533.JPG