• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What is your favorite mod to your C14?

HeathCreek

As most of the country heads into the the winter doldrums and many of us find ourselves with plans for maintenance and improvements to our Connies, what is the best thing you have done for your bike, for either performance or comfort? If you were to have to start over, what would be the first thing on the list? The first five things? Go!

1- LED headlights
2- Corbin modular sest
3- Top Block slider set
4- Shodaben Mountain Runner flash
5- MC Cruise

Great question @HeathCreek! Reason I like the question is the priority, NEED or importance of the performance or comfort from modification is subjective - so one rider’s preference may be totally different as another and neither is right or wrong…!
  1. ECU Tune (contact Ivan & Steve)
  2. Penske Rear Shock - Comfort then Performance
  3. Healtech Quickshifter - Performance then Comfort
  4. CalSci XL Windhsield (use <2015 version) - Comfort
  5. Full AreaP Exhaust - Performance
Wayne, Carol & Blue

Last edited:
1- LED headlights
2- Corbin modular sest
3- Top Block slider set
4- Shodaben Mountain Runner flash
5- MC Cruise
Jorge, which LED lights did you go with? The difference in brightness during the day is awesome and provides excellent visibility to other cars over the stockers, but I am not sure if the throw is as good at night, or maybe I just need to adjust mine better. Still trying to figure out if its my adjustment or a characteristic of the LED bulbs.

Great question @HeathCreek! Reason I like the question is the priority, NEED or importance of the performance or comfort from modification is subjective - so one rider’s preference may be totally different as another and neither is right or wrong…!
  1. ECU Tune (contact Ivan & Steve)
  2. Penske Rear Shock - Comfort then Performance
  3. Healtech Quickshifter - Performance then Comfort
  4. CalSci XL Windhsield (use <2015 version) - Comfort
  5. Full AreaP Exhaust - Performance
Wayne, Carol & Blue
Wayne, CalSci shields is about 10 min from my house here in Missouri! I might have to go check them out and support a local business! In your experience, can you compare the CalSci to the Vstream? I like my Vstream, but I wish it were just 2-3 inches taller.

Below is my personal experience and opinion.

I’ve ridden customer machines with the VStream and the coverage is excellent, however, I did not care for the view through the molded edges. Also the overall clarity seemed less than the CalSci.

CalSci is a DOT certified acrylic 17x better than glass impact resistance the VStream is polycarbonate and 250x better than glass resistance.

The VStream has incomparably better impact resistance however I think is rather distracting with more flexing and above mentioned not as clear due to design (mold) and material.

Due to acrylic properties of the CalSci the 2015+ large flip door opening results in cracking at high stress (closed road/ track speeds 140 mph+), we have broken 3 of this design. I would recommend the <2015 shield, have had ours installed now going on 3 years and no issues.

Both the VStream and <2015 will be huge improvements over the stock shield.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Hands down, the best bang for your buck is a Flash.
It changes the bike a lot!

I have the Mountain Runner Premium on mine and love it.
It works great with the headers and slip-on's I installed.

After that, the ride improvements were Seat, windshield, handlebars raised a bit, bike lowered, and suspension set up.

Ride safe, Ted

Below is my personal experience and opinion.

I’ve ridden customer machines with the VStream and the coverage is excellent, however, I did not care for the view through the molded edges. Also the overall clarity seemed less than the CalSci.

CalSci is a DOT certified acrylic 17x better than glass impact resistance the VStream is polycarbonate and 250x better than glass resistance.

The VStream has incomparably better impact resistance however I think is rather distracting with more flexing and above mentioned not as clear due to design (mold) and material.

Due to acrylic properties of the CalSci the 2015+ large flip door opening results in cracking at high stress (closed road/ track speeds 140 mph+), we have broken 3 of this design. I would recommend the <2015 shield, have had ours installed now going on 3 years and no issues.

Both the VStream and <2015 will be huge improvements over the stock shield.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
Thank you, Wayne. I currently have the Vstream, I just wish it were a little taller. Glad to know I have another option even right here in my back yard!

Hands down, the best bang for your buck is a Flash.
It changes the bike a lot!

I have the Mountain Runner Premium on mine and love it.
It works great with the headers and slip-on's I installed.

After that, the ride improvements were Seat, windshield, handlebars raised a bit, bike lowered, and suspension set up.

Ride safe, Ted
I hear you, Ted! Suspension set-up has been on my mind lately. I thought I saw some rough baselines around here before, I need to zero mine out and start from scratch. I have limited (none) expertise with suspension optimization settings, but if I could get some advice on where to set the clicks for a 175 lbs dude that would be awesome!

My Helibars arrived in perfect condition. Now just waiting for the time to devote to carefully installing them. My buddy who usually helps me isnt much available these days, and I am still a little nervous abour switching those lines and removing the heated grips without damaging the elements. I have changed grips on my other bikes before, but never heated grips.

I hear you, Ted! Suspension set-up has been on my mind lately. I thought I saw some rough baselines around here before, I need to zero mine out and start from scratch. I have limited (none) expertise with suspension optimization settings, but if I could get some advice on where to set the clicks for a 175 lbs dude that would be awesome!
Check out the Summer 2012 Concourier. It has a great article by Fred about baseline suspension settings and how/why to adjust from there. There's even a great little chart showing starting points based on rider weight:

1703620987277.png

You can find old issues of the Concourier, with links to specific topics from the main COG page - Resources - Tech Pages - Tech Pages List & Index. Fred's article is the first one if you scroll down to the suspension section:

1703621151039.png

And, if you haven't already, I'd highly suggest downloading and skimming the C14-specific compilation of articles here: https://concours.org/Chalkdust-II-C14-Compendium

I found that adjusting per Fred's recommendations, then a little minor tweaking afterward (increasing the front rebound damping a click or two in my case), resulted in a much improved ride and took away my initial feeling that I'd need to do a suspension upgrade right away. A couple of years later and I'm still rocking the OE suspension after having refreshed with fresh seals and fluid.

Well, maybe not on my C14, but ...

What is your favorite mod to Ted's C14?​

I installed a secret toggle switch just for when Ted is at the Nationals.

VEVIVmR5YXdId0U9

ON = 75% Power
OFF = 100% Power

Loads of fun and reduces the chances of him being in an accident.
(Don't tell Ted. He don't like gadgets like that)

Check out the Summer 2012 Concourier. It has a great article by Fred about baseline suspension settings and how/why to adjust from there. There's even a great little chart showing starting points based on rider weight:

View attachment 37632

You can find old issues of the Concourier, with links to specific topics from the main COG page - Resources - Tech Pages - Tech Pages List & Index. Fred's article is the first one if you scroll down to the suspension section:

View attachment 37633

And, if you haven't already, I'd highly suggest downloading and skimming the C14-specific compilation of articles here: https://concours.org/Chalkdust-II-C14-Compendium

I found that adjusting per Fred's recommendations, then a little minor tweaking afterward (increasing the front rebound damping a click or two in my case), resulted in a much improved ride and took away my initial feeling that I'd need to do a suspension upgrade right away. A couple of years later and I'm still rocking the OE suspension after having refreshed with fresh seals and fluid.
Wow! What a phenomenal resource! Thank you for taking the time to post that for us! And I didnt know about all those archived articles! Fantastic! This group continues to amaze me!

Jorge, which LED lights did you go with? The difference in brightness during the day is awesome and provides excellent visibility to other cars over the stockers, but I am not sure if the throw is as good at night, or maybe I just need to adjust mine better. Still trying to figure out if its my adjustment or a characteristic of the LED bulbs.
Heath, I really don't remember the brand. I got them on early 2017, almost 30,000 miles ago. New ones are better as mine don't meet #3 below.
Here's what I suggest:
1- Try to get DOT approved bulbs
2- Make SURE that the low beam LED elements have a small hood on the bottom. This will keep the beam from blinding oncoming drivers
3- Get a bulb with the backing that is very thin. This makes the LED elements mimic the halogen filament. I haven't looked lately, but Sealight makes, or made, them with a thin copper backing that seemed to be ideal.

I've bought several sets of "Sealight" and, with one exception, have been pleased with them. Not the cheapest, but not high-priced either.

Flash for fun

Suspension resprung and revalved for more fun

MRA shield for looks and comfort

Tip over bars have saved me a bunch of money and prevented small mishap from ruining a trip

Radar detector to keep all the fun going

Wow! What a phenomenal resource! Thank you for taking the time to post that for us! And I didnt know about all those archived articles! Fantastic! This group continues to amaze me!
Wait til you meet us in person!! Larger then life. We'll, that's what ted thinks he is....lol.

1. ECU Flash - For the performance increase and over all rideability improvement.
2. Exhaust - Stock is very tame, I like my bike to sound at least a little wild.
3. Suspension - Traxxion Dynamics AK20 cartridges up front and Penske rear. Greatly improved ride.
4. LED Headlights - Forget which ones, put them in right after I got the bike in Nov. 2015.
5. Muzzy lowering link - to compensate for the taller Laam seat and taller 190-55-17 rear tire.

My mods...
1. Helibars! I've got short arms and tried risers, setbacks, and wedges. Helibars are soon adjustable.

2. Canyon cages. Not just for the tip over protection ,but i.mounted auxiliary lighting and highway pegs for ld comfort on them.

3. Seat. Tried a bunch and got a kawasaki touring seat.

4. Cruise control. Installed a rostra a few years back, and wish i.had done it years sooner. Makes ld rides (like to national rallys) so much more enjoyable.

5. Auxiliary lighting. Front and back. As a retired L.e.o., with a passion for traffic crash investigations. Being seen is paramount to being understood as another vehicle on the road. Not just the front but the rear as well. Headlight modulator and 2 sets of auxiliary led lights up front; and extra running/tail and brake lights on my trunk, saddle bags and license plate frame. My moto BE SEEN. When u see my license plate, it makes one think. BE SEEN 2...

Err; Getting back to favorite Mod...............

HeathCreek,,,,
I think you'll find that the majority of C-14 owners will tell you that the best mod they ever did to their bike was having it flashed.

Ride safe, Ted

In defense of the flash, mine was flashed when I got it. I've not ridden a totally stock C14, so I can only go by what others have said about the stock tune.

My mods...
1. Helibars! I've got short arms and tried risers, setbacks, and wedges. Helibars are soon adjustable.

2. Canyon cages. Not just for the tip over protection ,but i.mounted auxiliary lighting and highway pegs for ld comfort on them.

3. Seat. Tried a bunch and got a kawasaki touring seat.

4. Cruise control. Installed a rostra a few years back, and wish i.had done it years sooner. Makes ld rides (like to national rallys) so much more enjoyable.

5. Auxiliary lighting. Front and back. As a retired L.e.o., with a passion for traffic crash investigations. Being seen is paramount to being understood as another vehicle on the road. Not just the front but the rear as well. Headlight modulator and 2 sets of auxiliary led lights up front; and extra running/tail and brake lights on my trunk, saddle bags and license plate frame. My moto BE SEEN. When u see my license plate, it makes one think. BE SEEN 2...
Wish they still made Canyon Cages. Is the Rostra cruise control a true cruise control like a car/truck one?

Wish they still made Canyon Cages. Is the Rostra cruise control a true cruise control like a car/truck one?
Yes. It's a kit and there should be several threads here on the forum showing installation. It's funny cuz I bought mine and waited almost 9 months b4 I finally got around to installing it. A kicked myself for not doing it sooner. I had throttle locks on my c10 and a throttlemeister on my c14. Which give u 5 seconds of relief. But this is a true cc. Set it and enjoy!!

Rostra is a true cruise control that digitally reads speed and adjust throttle via a cable attached to the throttle arm.

See these instructions written by a late COG member, Brian D. Felice (BDF), Rostra CC Installation. There are also many other conversations on the forum, YT videos etc. on the kit.

Unsure of the retail availability.

I have one in a box now for almost two years (purchased from a COG member). I keep deprioritizing behind other people’s machines, then relocating, vacation trips, work trips, life - time flies. From what I have read I’ll be kicking myself after it’s installed for not installing earlier...

There’s another popular cruise system: MCCRUISE (from Australia) that is more plug and play (regarding wiring), still hardware needs installation as the C-14 is not a drive by wire.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

....and theres a BIG price difference between the Rostra and Mccruise cc. Rostra around $200 and Mccruise $900+ depending on the us/Australian conversion rate..

I started this thread a few years ago listing the modifications I made that will make me keep the C-14 forever.

I started this thread a few years ago listing the modifications I made that will make me keep the C-14 forever.
This is awesome! Thank you!

Thanks. Unfortunately the thread is old enough that the links to the part numbers and turn signals are broken after the forum upgrade. Those threads are still on the forum if you search for the key words in the URL. Have fun adding the accessories!

OK top 5. Number 1, 2, and 3 are a tie for me so I have them in no particular order:

1. Aftermarket seat. If you log long days in the saddle the stock seat must go IMHO
2. Custom Suspension. It just makes your riding more pleasurable and more confident regardless of your riding style
3. Flash the ECU. Arguably less expensive than #1 or #2 and I have not heard of anyone that regretted it (although I am sure someone has)
4. Madstad windscreen brackets. For me it really quieted the buffeting in the cockpit with the stock windscreen.
5. Cruise Control. Absolutely love it!

HeathCreek,,,,
I think you'll find that the majority of C-14 owners will tell you that the best mod they ever did to their bike was having it flashed.

Ride safe, Ted
Earlier I made the statement above and decided to come back and explain it a bit.

From the start, my pet peeve with the C-14 was poor / low end power delivery (I sometimes stalled it) and I occasionally had a clunk when I shifted.

Most tend to think that a Flash is all about POWER {and the Flash I use certainly does that} "but" the "best benefit" I got from having a flash done is how much it improved the low end and shifting.
ie; The Flash turned the bike into a much better machine to ride.

Time and miles will help a person determine if he needs a seat, or windshield, or handlebars, or suspension, or other farkles. (and what he needs to do to select them)

Ride safe, Ted

Laam seat number 3 (3rd one and they just keep getting better)

3RDLAAM2.jpg

Flash....number 2 ....love the ability to run mid grade and save $ as well as the extreme improvement in ride quality.

Without a doubt the BEST farkle is my Bullshift shifter. Changes the way I ride .....click, click, click...up or down shift I never have to move my foot

. Every time I ride a bike without it I wonder why.....

bullshift 2.jpg

View attachment 37746

Flash....number 2 ....love the ability to run mid grade and save $ as well as the extreme improvement in ride quality.

Without a doubt the BEST farkle is my Bullshift shifter. Changes the way I ride .....click, click, click...up or down shift I never have to move my foot

View attachment 37749
I can't find any info on a bull shift shifter. What is it?

View attachment 37746

View attachment 37749
I'm curious about ground clearance, as the lower portion looks like it sits lower than the foot peg....

I'm curious about ground clearance, as the lower portion looks like it sits lower than the foot peg....
Many folks say the same thing. I have never scraped it. Not for lack of lean but I have dragged the toe of my boot trying. It's my favorite farkel. Not much else to say.

Many folks say the same thing. I have never scraped it. Not for lack of lean but I have dragged the toe of my boot trying. It's my favorite farkel. Not much else to say.
Did you have to adjust the shifter lower for the ergonomics of lifting foot for up-shifts?

Neat idea, like it.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I think I actually raised it a touch when I put it on and started riding with it. Once I got used to leaving my foot in one place for ups and downs it felt better to have it up just a touch. I had been working with the inventor on a prototype on the other bike. Glad to see he finally seems to have put it out in production.

Here's a pic of the new design as a prototype I have been running on the 18

bullsftr.jpg

Last edited:
....and theres a BIG price difference between the Rostra and Mccruise cc. Rostra around $200 and Mccruise $900+ depending on the us/Australian conversion rate..
Rostra and controller and relay is over $300 now. Still lot cheaper. At one point the exchange rate was good and I think McCruise was under $800. If I could find a controller that I like better and didn't look out of place, like the Rostra one does in my opinion, I'd get that setup. McCruise has a real nice controller. Not the standard one, but one that mounts between switchgear and clutch perch. Not sure if it will work on Connie without mod. But it is sweet. Won't work with Rostra equipment. I already checked.

Screenshot_20240116_122947_Chrome.jpg

Just got my updated bullshiftr. Below zero but I need to figure out when to get this installed. I like the new design. I suspect it will remain my favorite farkel

20240120_145042.jpg20240120_144934.jpg
20240120_144944.jpg

Attachments

• 20240120_144803.jpg
    20240120_144803.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: Bud

I have had the original on my 13 for 9 years and the prototype of the new model on my 18 for 2 seasons. THe finished product incorporated some of the changes in arms and adjustables from beta feedback. It came out way better than I thought it would. I think it is well worth the 87 and will probably have to buy an extra for the BMW in the barn. Can't imagine riding without it now.

Bar risers, peg lowers

I've always been perplexed as to why bike makers don't offer factory items that virtually EVERYONE who buys their bike replaces the second day they own it. To a rider, everyone and I mean everyone I've ever talked to, the first thing they do is, seat, bars, pegs. HD does this and probably makes more money on the aftermarket factory replacements than they do selling the bikes themselves. OK, so keep the cost down by not putting it on the bike from the factory, but, offer these things afterwards.

Reactions: Bud
Bar risers, peg lowers

I've always been perplexed as to why bike makers don't offer factory items that virtually EVERYONE who buys their bike replaces the second day they own it. To a rider, everyone and I mean everyone I've ever talked to, the first thing they do is, seat, bars, pegs. HD does this and probably makes more money on the aftermarket factory replacements than they do selling the bikes themselves. OK, so keep the cost down by not putting it on the bike from the factory, but, offer these things afterwards.
which bar risers? I have a set on my 13 and am considering a set for the 18. I am trying to figure out if I like the one I have on the 13 or will try the AST with the setback. I can't figure out which posture I like better. Stock or risers.

My 2012 came with risers and pullbacks. PO (he was on the forum as "Noodle" for a while; super good guy) was about 5'7" or so.
I thought I'd take them off because of my orangutan arms, but I ledt them on.
Together with my Corbin, they make the bike feel larger, as I learned when my brother (stock seat, stock bars) and I swapped for a bit at the Spider Ride.
I had upper back pain on my C10 until I installed risers, so I keeping my bars where they are.

I have the AST risers with the setbacks. With the peg lowers and my raised Corbin, it's very good for me, not perfect, I'd like more rise to the bars but that would involved different hoses.

Rostra Cruise.
V stream windshield
GL1800 front foot pegs
LED headlights
Sargent Single saddle
(setbacks)