• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What makes a good COG national site?

smithr

I made a list but would love some additions and feedback. 1. Rooms for 200-300 but does not have to be all on-site. Close is good though. 2. Camping close or on-site, cheap but with showers and stuff is best. 3. Banquet room or place to hold the big banquet close. 4. Great riding close. 5. Rooms for meetings and smaller GTG like Ladies Lunch, class on gps... 6. Place to do Tech sessions. 7. Bike Wash area. 8. Easy parking. 9. Food on-site is great. best if all three meals can be had with a walk. 10. Place to hang at night like fire pit, lodge, bar. 11. Other entertainment close, wife, kids, tired bikers. Pool, game rooms... Photos[/url]

Bob: I'd make that for 300+ with 500 being the max. Course the site will also determine how many attend. Camping, wonder how many would attend if camping were the only method of lodging offered? I think most of our group like a room/cabin/condo of some type. I'm still wondering why so many in the beemer clubs do the camping every year. Banquet room and a place to feed 300+, this is one of the items that adds high costs to a rally, plus narrows the sites down quickly. Now there is one question you didn't list, setting? How many would prefer the conveniences of a city or metropolitan area as opposed to those who would prefer a rural location? Maybe we need to start doing a poll on some of these topics, see what people would prefer. tcars, John, COG 4157, AMA & ROK Northeast Jawja AAD

I think that's an excellent list of conditions. I agree with John about the capacity though. 200 - 300 might be a little small (if a National). As far as camping, I kinda like camping. We always have a lot of fun at the campground. Plus, it's usually cheaper...err, more frugal. Yeah, that's it! Now if I could ever convince my wife to come with me, a room would be the ticket. I more than likely would attend even if camping were the only option. But that's me. Setting or location: i voted at the poll. But either an urban or an outlying area has it's advantage. The urban area shouldn't be too big unless the location could be on the outskirts. If I want to deal with traffic and congestion, I'd drive in Atlanta or Jacksonville! Hey, Bob. Thinkin' about a National in the SC area? Hint, Hint!!! Eddie COG Asst. Marketing Director Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

Nobody mentioned that the location should be in an region with good riding. Statistically campers make up 25% or less at COG rallies. Maybe folks would pass on camping if the room rate was low enough. A $50 room shared by 2 guys costs just a little more per person than some campsites. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Easy for the guys. I never get a room because I can't ever find any women to share the price of it with me. And I'm happily married so I sure ain't sharing with none of you fellows! I mean, it's me and Jo and maybe Beth...what other women come to the rallies without their man partner? (And much to its credit, what other organization would conduct itself so that a woman riding in alone feels welcome and safe from harrassment?) The COG campers are a great bunch and I dearly love them all, snoring, coffe-guzzling, story-telling loud bunch that they are. What do I want in a National? Well I'm just happy if it's a bunch of COGgers from all over the country getting together to ride, wrench, and kick tires for a few days. But I NEED NEED NEED a shower at the campground! It's not an option! I'll sleep on the ground and I'll eat out of a can, but I simply requirea place to take a shower.

I'm guessing we're going to Texas for the Nationals!!! ;) No need for electrics, we're gonna be warm! :) I'm a country boy. Unfortunately, finding a site that has all of your characteristics means it's most likely a city, or close enough. Places like Caanan, or other touristy sites that are way out in the country also mean that these are vacation areas...high value in the tourist arena, which means people, high traffic, high price. Being a country boy, I'm also partial to camping. The outdoor air does wonders for me, but I do it usually for the cost. Some of the campgrounds are almost hotel like in cost, with little of the same benefits. Splitting the room can work for some, but sharing a room with a guy just doesn't work for me. I can fall asleep if a woman is in the other bed, but not if a guy is. Made military life a bit harsh, as I used to sleep in the day room or my car, or took night watch. Where-ever you choose, you know you need roads otherwise this is just a National Conference. Been to enough of those. http://www.millerized.com I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g

The only thing I could add is to have friendly, knowledgeable and helpful staff on the rally committee. Remember that we "join for the bike, stay for the people." There's nothing like, after a long ride, to come into the registration area to find friendly faces who are actually glad to see you and want you to have a great rally experience.

Anyone have total attendances for the last several nationals? I was just guessing. Steve, Great Riding is #4 but it should be #1. I just did not go in order of priority. Photos[/url]

Bob, Many of the Beemer (and Guzzi) rallies I've attended have been centered in a city or county park and the park grounds are used for camping, bike parking, vendor displays, food vendors, etc. The restroom/shower facilities come along with the park. They bring in Port-a-Potties if additional toilets are required. Frequently, county parks are also used for the County Fair and have some buildings and/or even a kitchen facility available. For events like that, the Registration Fee covers the nominal cost for the camping and the Rally Committee essentially rents the grounds/facilities for the duration of the event. A rally set up like this tends to encourage the attendees to camp since all of the activities are there. I don't know if an approach like this would work for a COG National or not. You could certainly handle the 300 or so attendees, but maybe they want something different. I enjoy the camping routine. That's why I attend the rallies that I do, regardless of which group is putting them on. All for now. Ride safe.

I agree with the other campers.....need a hot shower that works, not like the 2009 Nationals. Though I don't camp on the ground anymore wife and I stay in a toy hauler. I too have attended Moto Guzzi and BMW rallies and they are camping fools, there rally fees are super cheap and the attendance is great, this translates into more $$$ in the pocket and attending many rallies per year. I would love for COG to try a large camping venue with hotel/ motel as an option. I believe it would work if promoted correctly. Food / eating venders would have to be brought in or very close by, IMHO. Evening fire pit is a must to tell ies, I mean stories ;p

I think a camp ground with good shower facilities and the ability to feed a few hundred people that only cost $10/night or was included in the rally fee could draw a nice crowd in this economy. The food could be done by a local fire dept or similar group since it is rare that a campground can feed that many. The Ramapo '500' has been having annual attendance of around 400 for the past 34 years. It is a two day weekend event with a BBQ dinner & camping Saturday night included and some motels nearby for those who don't want to camp. The biggest problem they have with camping on the '500' is a lot of people don't want to commit to coming until they know what the weather is going to be. Also, Sunday breakfast never goes as well at the BBQ Saturday night. Mike Aldea, COG-528 Hawthorne, NJ
2469478460102652906xWTIGW_th.jpg
2520423130102652906S200x200Q85.jpg
2710979210102652906GMlQTI_th.jpg

I can't speak for anybody but myself. But my motorcycle camping days are over. Well, maybe a bunkhouse type deal. But tent camping is out. I've had way too many miserable cold rainy days of riding that also turned into cold damp nights as well. I now want a room with heat and air conditioning, a bed, shower and preferably a TV. I want to relax and be warm or cool and comfy at night. If I can't go on a trip and have a dry room. Then there's no point in going anymore. I don't take motorcycle trips to be miserable! ;p Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2638311280103513287fDmUTZ_th.jpg