• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What rims will fit the C10? Even if machining is needed.

wdalzell8687

I need new tires on my C10 but I'd like more tire choices so need different rims.

So... What rim choices do I have?
Thanks ahead of time.
Wayne

ZR7 front
Meanstreak rear. The rear needs to be machined to move the rotor inward and the holes need to be deepened to accommodate that change. You can also machine the caliper bracket to fix the alignment issue. Others will chime in with more details. Teeeeeed!!!!!

I've never done a 17" conversion on a C-10 so I don't know the answer, but I've wondered why folks don't buy a "matching" mean Streak Front rim.
{Would seem to be ideal because the patterns on both rims would be the same}

You got me interested so I did some looking and found a set.
You'll never guess why these particular rims interest me.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Guessing the rim width is too wide.
Update; Discovered that this rim is the same width as the GPZ-1100 rim that others are using so it is not to wide.

Last edited:
Ted,,,,,,think Bergman figured that out for us way back when he was picking 17" wheels. Of course he used a ZRX front end so a 17" was already on the front.

Does the front mean streak rim need machining too?

Are 17" tires cheaper than the present 2 sizes? Or do I get more longevity from17" tires? I'll check with my local m/c shop for additional tires.

I'm away for a few days so no reply till mid week.

Thanks for your help.

thanks
Wayne

I doubt there is any cost savings with the 17" tires. (Plus you have the added costs of the rims and machine work).
By going to 17" you'd just have a bigger choice in tires and better handling & braking.

I think the Mean Streak front rim is too wide.
(Incorrect. Discovered that others are using a 3 1/2" wide 17" rim on their conversions).
,,,,,It's 3 1/2" and ours is 3" (?).
Plus, I have no idea if the Mean Streak front hub would fit between the forks on the front of the Connie.

I just picked those because I liked the matching pattern and the RED color.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Yes a wider choice for tires using 17" wheels. But the most surprising change was how this bike now handles!

Attachments

• IMG_3093.JPG
    IMG_3093.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 55
Yes a wider choice for tires using 17" wheels. But the most surprising change was how this bike now handles!
At risk of re-hashing something that's been covered in the past (feel free to point me to an older thread), if 17s front/rear improve the handling that much, what were the characteristics the engineers prioritized when sizing the 18/16 wheels? In an era where 16-inch wheels were pretty common front and rear, why the larger front?

Although looking over specs, it seems like Kawasaki was a little all over the place with tires on their sportbikes in that era, with the GPZ900 using a 16" front and 18" rear, and the succeeding ZX-10 using 17" front and 18" rear. Weird.

At risk of re-hashing something that's been covered in the past (feel free to point me to an older thread), if 17s front/rear improve the handling that much, what were the characteristics the engineers prioritized when sizing the 18/16 wheels? In an era where 16-inch wheels were pretty common front and rear, why the larger front?

Although looking over specs, it seems like Kawasaki was a little all over the place with tires on their sportbikes in that era, with the GPZ900 using a 16" front and 18" rear, and the succeeding ZX-10 using 17" front and 18" rear. Weird.
Don't have an answer for that other than a parts glutton on these size wheels and "we are going to use them". In '08 they made the change going to 17" front and rear. Anyway, going 17" has me happy.

Last edited: