• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What tires for the 2021 season?

Just Cliff

Personally I thought the PR4's sucked as did the 3's, the 2's were good though. When I run out my current stock of 3 or 4 sets of RS2's I'm gonna try the Mitas now that they're making a sport touring tire. Been happy with the Mitas 50/50 tires I've had on my V Strom.

Last edited:

2andblue

Nick I think I’ll try another set of PR-5’s.

They stick even better than the PR-4’s and especially considering the harder demand of constant 2-Up loads, high speed and spirited riding I have found them good. Mileage is looking to fall in and around the PR-4’s.

I would be willing to try another tire that has a good tried / true sticky but resilient multi-compound but really liking the Michelins.

Wayne

Tim R

Staff member
I was a Michelin man until I tried the RS3. Don't care about mileage life and will never go back. For me the RS 3's made the C14 fun to ride gain. Cheaper and Good in the rain too.

Daboo

Staff member
There's a lot of people opting for the Michelin Road 5s...but I think they are paying a premium for a name.

There's a number of tires that are all from the latest and greatest technology. The biggest difference is the price. The prices have likely changed some since last November when I updated it last.

What you'll see is there is a $177 premium to buy a set of Road 5s instead of a Dunlop RS3. Is the Michelin Road 5 that much better?

1610732856072.png

Chris

2andblue

Chris this was a great price comp you did.

Thank You for the effort.

Tires are one of those things that once I find something that works well I tend to stick with it just to not have a 5,500 - 6,500 mile regret or worse from experimenting.

I think that possibility though is limited when sticking with the tried and true from the community here. I am willing to make a swap to save some $$$$$ without being penalized in the performance thereof.

bmidd

Just put 100 miles on a newly installed set of S22s.

Attachments

• Suck Creek store.jpg
    Suck Creek store.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 30

Tim R

Staff member
Chris this was a great price comp you did.
True Dat. Another thing I just thought of. I went through PR2's, 3's and 4's. Every Michelin tire I had needed air about every 3 days. The RS 3's need air about every week and a half if that.

I would love to try a set of RS 4's. But before I get another set of tires, I have to finish off the RS 3's. I have a set of Rs'2 in the wings to wear out. So by the time I need a set of RS 4's the Review of them should be well documented. :D

ghostrider990

Crotch Rocket
Forum Subscriber
Mounted a set of RS3's last year, and have about 2k miles on them. They handle well in the dry, but wet wasn't as confident as Pirellis (which means they're < than Michelin's in the wet).

My only real complaint is they don't appear to be wearing well, and like most other tires, they're squaring in the mid-section in spite of my 70/30 twisty to hwy riding.
It would appear they won't make it to 5k miles, which to me, is the min. standard for a Sport Touring Tire.

Time will tell.
Not sure what I'll try next if these don't cut it.

Daboo

Staff member
Tire experience varies by the rider and location. And the bike of course.

Just changed the Continental RoadAttack 3s for Dunlop RoadSmart 4s. Over time, I've had the Dunlop RS3s, twice. The Conti RA3s, twice. And the Metzeler Roadtec 01s, twice.

I really like the Contis. I found they have confidence-inspiring grip and fall into corners just right. Wear came out to around 11,000 miles, and they were changed with 3/32nds tread left. Wet grip seemed great.

The Dunlop RS3s were pretty good. I didn't find them wearing strange at all. In fact, I was surprised to find no cupping on the front tire at all. I had them slip on me once on wet roads, but that was probably my fault. It was early in the fall and I turned left at an underpass leading onto a freeway...and even though the pavement was wet, I got on the throttle like it was summer. I'm willing to give the tires the benefit of doubt because I didn't have any issues afterwards.

The Metzeler Roadtec 01s were lousy. Wet grip was good, but the tire longevity was really poor. The first set wore out in 6000 miles. The tread on the sides looked great, but the center of the tire seemed to wear out very quickly. Because I got sold a bill of goods, I'm not willing to give them, or the more expensive version a try again.

I like the Dunlop RS4s. I guess one of the best things you can say about a tire is that when leaning into a corner, you don't think about the tire at all. It does its job with no muss or fuss. I've only put a couple hundred miles on them, but they seem quiet. Grip well on dry roads. Dropping into a corner seems much like the Contis...just right. Not too easy, not too hard. They match the bike very well. Longevity will obviously have to be determined later.

My riding buddy has the same bike and we ride quite a bit together, so our tire wear seems like it would be similar. He has Michelin Road 5s. His front tire has some very strange wear with only about 6500 miles on them.

1611090331743.png

It might be hard to spot what's happening, so let me explain. The middle is wearing flat. Then the sides have a sharp edge sloping off. There's no gradual rounding to the wear.

1611090877352.png

The tire wear seems fine for longevity, but the squaring off, is really strange.

Chris

Mruny

Big Wheel
Forum Subscriber
What tires are you guys thinking about for the 2021 season?
I think I'm going to mount a new set for Michelin Pilot 4's myself.
Nick
2014 C-14
I have Pilot Road 5 on my 2008 Concours. The Roads will give you much better mileage and are great in the rain.

bmidd

Just changed the Continental RoadAttack 3s for Dunlop RoadSmart 4s. Over time, I've had the Dunlop RS3s, twice. The Conti RA3s, twice. And the Metzeler Roadtec 01s, twice.

I really like the Contis. I found they have confidence-inspiring grip and fall into corners just right. Wear came out to around 11,000 miles, and they were changed with 3/32nds tread left. Wet grip seemed great.

The Dunlop RS3s were pretty good. I didn't find them wearing strange at all. In fact, I was surprised to find no cupping on the front tire at all. I had them slip on me once on wet roads, but that was probably my fault. It was early in the fall and I turned left at an underpass leading onto a freeway...and even though the pavement was wet, I got on the throttle like it was summer. I'm willing to give the tires the benefit of doubt because I didn't have any issues afterwards.

The Metzeler Roadtec 01s were lousy. Wet grip was good, but the tire longevity was really poor. The first set wore out in 6000 miles. The tread on the sides looked great, but the center of the tire seemed to wear out very quickly. Because I got sold a bill of goods, I'm not willing to give them, or the more expensive version a try again.

I like the Dunlop RS4s. I guess one of the best things you can say about a tire is that when leaning into a corner, you don't think about the tire at all. It does its job with no muss or fuss. I've only put a couple hundred miles on them, but they seem quiet. Grip well on dry roads. Dropping into a corner seems much like the Contis...just right. Not too easy, not too hard. They match the bike very well. Longevity will obviously have to be determined later.

My riding buddy has the same bike and we ride quite a bit together, so our tire wear seems like it would be similar. He has Michelin Road 5s. His front tire has some very strange wear with only about 6500 miles on them.

View attachment 28470

It might be hard to spot what's happening, so let me explain. The middle is wearing flat. Then the sides have a sharp edge sloping off. There's no gradual rounding to the wear.

View attachment 28471

The tire wear seems fine for longevity, but the squaring off, is really strange.

Chris
I'd LOVE to get 6000 miles out of a set of tires, I managed ~4500 out of Road 5s.
That wear on the front of the Road 5 is nothing but a tire pressure and/or poor suspension setup. The last Road 5 I pulled off the front of mine was perfectly worn side to side, with no irregular wear on them. I never ran less than 42psi cold on the front. They weren't my choice of tire, they came on the bike.

nickrides

The above from Daboo

I've never got near 6500 miles out of anything!
Nick
2014 C-14

Daboo

Staff member
nickrides, you're forgetting that I don't ride a C14, but a much lighter bike. There's other factors though too. What kind of road surface do you ride on? And how quickly do you twist your right hand? Both play an important part in tire longevity. :)

Chris

kzz1king

I have some RS 2s to wear out. Will see what kind of rebates come up but thinking of the the RS 3s again. Most miles I ever got out of a rear tire. with out checking my log I think it was 7,000.

FTB530

I have some RS 2s to wear out. Will see what kind of rebates come up but thinking of the the RS 3s again. Most miles I ever got out of a rear tire. with out checking my log I think it was 7,000.
Just saw a post somewhere that Chap Moto has RS 3s @ $262 a set .

nickrides

Chris
My 2014 C-14 is the only bike I've owned that wears out the front tire first. My last 2 sets of RS2's fronts only went 44-4600 before the sides were smooth. To be honest I don't know what my road surface compound is. It is quite curvy around here though, but generally at 62 yrs old I'm no madman.
I'm lucky in the regard that one of my best pals has a mechanical tire machine and he loves to work.
Ride safe in 2021
Nick
PS keep posting pictures of your rides!!

Last edited:

Gary_T

Following this thread with interest. I put about 80k miles on a couple of C-10's. I used to run Metzler 880's and get about 10k miles a set.

I think I have RS3's on my 08 C14. They were on it when I bought it and look relatively new. They handle well for me, so if I can get decent mileage with them, I'll probably stay the course. A set of tires each summer is OK, but I see some of you guys only get 4k miles a tire. which would mean 2-3 sets each season. Definitely not what I'm looking for.

Any advice for high mileage tires for the 14? I'm not much of a canyon carver, but I do appreciate traction when it rains.

kzz1king

Following this thread with interest. I put about 80k miles on a couple of C-10's. I used to run Metzler 880's and get about 10k miles a set.

I think I have RS3's on my 08 C14. They were on it when I bought it and look relatively new. They handle well for me, so if I can get decent mileage with them, I'll probably stay the course. A set of tires each summer is OK, but I see some of you guys only get 4k miles a tire. which would mean 2-3 sets each season. Definitely not what I'm looking for.

Any advice for high mileage tires for the 14? I'm not much of a canyon carver, but I do appreciate traction when it rains.
Those Metzlers treat you well in the rain? Mine about killed me on my C10 one time.

gsun

COG# 9127 CDA# 560

View attachment 28470

View attachment 28471

Chris
Probably due to the two different rubber compounds. The outside must be quite soft and the middle hard. I know a lot of tires are like that but maybe the middle is really hard. I had one set of PR's and the wear was weird. Went back to Angels.

nickrides

Here's are a few of what I found on the Dennis Kirk webpage. By the way I think the Dennis Kirk website is the easiest to compare tires and prices, the way it is set up.

Michelin Power Pilot- Set, $190
RS4 - Set, $360
Shinko 003 Stealth - Set, $200
Pirelli Diablo - Set, $170

Those Michelins and Pirelli's for less than 200 look interesting. The Shinko's are right there too.
Nick
2014 C-14

Just Cliff

Those Michelins and Pirelli's for less than 200 look interesting.
Nick
2014 C-14

I've had both, don't count on getting more than 3,000 - 3,500 miles tops out of them. Both were good tires, but neither one will even make through a 1 - 2 week trip. The PP was the stickier of the two.

Gary_T

Those Metzlers treat you well in the rain? Mine about killed me on my C10 one time.
They were OK. Rode them through some hellacious rain, too. 4 days in West Virginia and 3 days in Quebec. The only issue was stopping on painted lines in the road. I'm not a very aggressive rider, so that may be the reason they stuck in the rain for me.

kzz1king

They were OK. Rode them through some hellacious rain, too. 4 days in West Virginia and 3 days in Quebec. The only issue was stopping on painted lines in the road. I'm not a very aggressive rider, so that may be the reason they stuck in the rain for me.
A car pulled out in front of me just as I was going to pass him.Wet and raining. I may have used to much rear brake but I was almost down, let up and the bike stood up again. I decided right there that my next bike would be ABS.Those tires get a lot of mixed reviews.

2andblue

Wonder if there is a MAP within the tire industry? IOW nobody can sell below a certain price per mfr agreement.

Last edited:

pilgrim

Firestone Winterforce 2 UV until April on the Tacoma (this is NH and we have snow in winter).

Pirelli Angel GT A specs have less than <2K miles left to them. They didn't last anymore than the non A specs, just gave a harsher ride.
Have a set of Dunlop RS3 ready to try next.

Tim R

Staff member
Firestone Winterforce 2 UV until April on the Tacoma (this is NH and we have snow in winter).

Pirelli Angel GT A specs have less than <2K miles left to them. They didn't last anymore than the non A specs, just gave a harsher ride.
Have a set of Dunlop RS3 ready to try next.
I think you will like them.

nickrides

I found a set of Michelin Road Pilot 2's at Revzilla for about 300/set.
They said their closeouts, is there anyway to find out how old they are before ordering?
Others mentioned these are very good tires? True?
Nick
2014 C-14

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
The PR2 are several generations old tires. I would guess they haven't made the tire since 2011 when the PR3 was introduced. Michelin introduced the PR5 in 2019. IMHO for a little more money a current version tire from Michelin and other manufacturers can be purchased.

Motomaniac

COG Southwest Area Director
I found a set of Michelin Road Pilot 2's at Revzilla for about 300/set.
They said their closeouts, is there anyway to find out how old they are before ordering?
Others mentioned these are very good tires? True?
Nick
2014 C-14
I would get the RS3's at 260 a set before I would buy the PR2's...Of course I still love the RS2's for $170 a set if you can find them.

joliver

True Dat. Another thing I just thought of. I went through PR2's, 3's and 4's. Every Michelin tire I had needed air about every 3 days. The RS 3's need air about every week and a half if that.

Same for Michelin for me - always having to add air. My RS3's on the other hand, not very often at all.

maverick9611

“tryin not to get old”
shinko apex's. still on em from last year. awesome grip, rode dragon many times in the rain. tires stuck like glue.

Attachments

• 62034179383__73404A73-CF72-4338-90B0-6D1EDF4ACC3A.JPG
    62034179383__73404A73-CF72-4338-90B0-6D1EDF4ACC3A.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200826_143345_01.jpg
    IMG_20200826_143345_01.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 19

ursharkfuel

God got one thing wrong: Stupid should be PAINFUL!
Continental ContiMotion tires are giving me 10K+ and here is the proof!

I was just out in the garage yesterday (Sun 3/21) and thinking about getting Connie ready for the new season and off the roll around cart, a Harbor Freight special that has a solid build and the worst possible wheels - ever, but that's a story for another thread.......... Anyway I took a look at the rubber and realized that my rear tire had to have close to 10K on it, and quite possibly more. I promised myself I was going to log the tire mileage and just didn't - shame on me. But it isn't difficult to figure out because these were the only tires put on my 2011 since I bought it late March last year (rear tire early April and front mid April).

But it my case it is a pretty simple reverse calculation. I take the bike's mileage today, and calculate the days ridden back to the date I had each tire installed. I did keep a running count of how many round trips as a daily driver I made because I was aiming for 100 work days a year on the bike, and reached 89 days before parking for the winter. The tire changes were documented here because the original Michelin mounted on it left me stranded beside the road in the desert with no help from AAA and I shared that episode here.

So you say, but wait, 89 x 100 is only 8900 and I agree. But I also took her out on weekends for 100 to 150 mile runs every 3 to 4 weeks which is easily another 1200 to 1500 and I am not including all the utility runs of 10 to 20 miles to do errands and such, but I'm going to give those to rounding of my daily work runs to be fair.

And here comes the punch line - half this commute is on twisty mountain roads because commute is from the desert up to the mountains and back every day. The temperature extremes are the reason why my season ended in October and why I only got to 89 days because some days the desert days were projected to hit 120 degrees and I simply would not go past 110 degrees. I'll be 60 this year and I am a big boy riding with full gear. Doing that in the heat of the day - just isn't my idea of being a safe rider, unless of course you enjoy heat stroke, and I certainly do not.

On Sunday I determined my rear tire should be changed because the tread says it only has a few hundred miles left, and the front which was changed 11 trips AFTER the rear probably has another couple thousand miles left in it. To keep things simple I may just do both before the season starts. Not to mention I have a tired battery in one sensor and may as well replace BOTH batteries at the same time.

So there you have it, 10K out of a pair of ContiMotion tires with no issues and they still feel great on the road. Not to mention they came with 3 years of roadside maintenance and towing for free - just for buying one tire! What a bargain and you know what I will be putting back on her......

Tim R

Staff member

View attachment 28470

View attachment 28471

Chris
Chris, it appears to me your buddy is using a bunch of counter steer which results in the tire profile you show in post 15. Why do I say that? I had this front tire profile for a long time of riding the C14. Even the front tire on the 900 developed the side cupping using counter steer. Since I started to let the bike lean without counter steer the front tire cupping went away on both.

ursharkfuel

God got one thing wrong: Stupid should be PAINFUL!
Chris, it appears to me your buddy is using a bunch of counter steer which results in the tire profile you show in post 15. Why do I say that? I had this front tire profile for a long time of riding the C14. Even the front tire on the 900 developed the side cupping using counter steer. Since I started to let the bike lean without counter steer the front tire cupping went away on both.
You're 100% right one that one.

kzz1king

You can change the amount of lean by counter steering? I didn't think you could turn without it. When you lean you countersteer, correct?