• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What to expect from a MSF course....

LessPaul

Street Cruiser
I've signed up for a MSF course at our local community college on May 3. Never been to one of these things before and the course description isn't all that detailed beyond, "this is the public version of the Military Sport Bike Rider Course."

I'll be bringing my own bike ('86 C10).

Any ballpark intel to share?  :great:

Which course is it?  I have a MSF instructor I work with and can get more from him if I knew which course you are attending. 

It's the advanced rider course:

As mentioned, "the public version of the Military Sport Bike Rider Course."

Thanx!

LessPaul said:
It's the advanced rider course:

As mentioned, "the public version of the Military Sport Bike Rider Course."

Thanx!

I'm certified to instruct the Advanced RiderCourse (ARC)...  The Military Sport Bike Rider Course (MSRC) is only instructed on military bases and the riding exercises designed specifically for sport bikes.  As I understand it... The ARC is not a publicly available offering of the MSRC.  The classroom session is not the same, but instruction methodology and some concepts are carried over.  The exercises were redesigned to allow any street bike to be used, from sport to full dressers. The ARC is typically a one day course on your own motorcycle. It has a 3-4 hour classroom session utilizing PowerPoint presentation and some handout material.  There are several interactive activities to improve perception and hazard awareness. There is a focus is on rider risk self-assessment. The riding portion concentrates on improving braking and cornering finesse. Correct body position is emphasized.

Having done the Military Sport Bike Rider Course a couple times I can tell that it's fun to show off the bike.  My fellow military members always show off their Gixxers and Busa's and Repsol's, you know basically whatever cleaned out the bank account fully after the last deployment.  They sneer and scoff at my old man bike until I'm uncomfortably close to them, dragging pegs around the loops, hoping they'll speed up because even though they're afraid of gravity.

S Smith....yeah, it was pretty much as you described. Had a fun time with this all-day sucker. Quite a mix of bikes. Several HDs, a BMW 1100RT...

One of the instructors was demoing the routes on his older Gold Wing. He could throw that bike around....

Learned a few tricks, but mostly it made me think about how I do things.  And the importance of getting out and practicing.

T'was very well worth the $25 for a day's worth of instruction.

LessPaul said:
Learned a few tricks, but mostly it made me think about how I do things.  And the importance of getting out and practicing.

Glad you enjoyed yourself. I really enjoy working with experienced riders and helping them refine their riding skills. Self assessment and taking inventory of ones skills in a low stress environment is a huge benefit of the MSF ARC. The MSF ERC (aka BRC2) is for those looking to reinforce the life safety skills identified in the famous Hurt Report.