• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What to wear under Motoport Mesh Pants??

ghostrider990

For those that own these pants, what are you wearing UNDER them in the summer??

I've worn shorts underneath, but the interior isn't exactly SOFT against the skin, and it really needs a thin "barrier" layer that breathes
to wick off sweat.

I have been meaning to buy some silk bottoms, but I'm afraid that they'll get chewed up by the abrasive fabric of the Kevlar Mesh.

Please rsvp on what you're wearing underneath.

gr

Glad you brought this up.  I'm about to pull the trigger on some LD Comfort Riding tights for wear under my motoport air mesh.  Hadn"t though about the mesh  chewing them up.

I recently switched from wearing bicycle shorts to Moto-Skiveez Adventure Skiveez- not cheap but they provide good cushioning for the gluts and sensitive bits.

Cycle gear has come out with a new line of wicking, long and short base layers. I have the olf version of the shorts and t-shirt, called Heat Outs and like them. They're skin tight and wick very well. They dry quickly too as a result. I imagine their new line is similar. They don't cost a lot so if you try them and don't like them, you're not out a lot. Unfortunately being skin tight you might look like Mr. Incredible unless you're size "skinny" (I'm not - don't care either). I'm thinking about the long sleeved version to go with the new long leg version. Let us know what you find out because we had about two weeks of spring and now it's summer here.  :popcorncouple:

Under Armor shorts, hot and cold weather versions depending. Now I just have the GP-2 pants so maybe they have more of a lining than Mesh only. Cant imagine you would move around enough to shred them unless MotoGP racing or having Monkey Butt to begin with.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  :great:

I could buy 4 pairs of the Cycle Gear Pants for the price of a set of silks.

I don't want to be hotter,but I won't ride when it's past the 90 degree mark anyway.....the air just becomes a damn convection oven.  :103:

Anybody got a set, and can vouch for their "coolness"???  The price is definitely right!

gr

I was skeptical on the original Heat Outs and waited until I got them on sale for about $10 each.

The Cyclegear heatouts I believe work. If you wear it under say a Tee-shirt you will sweat into it and the evaporation cools you off. What I can’t get past, is how tight they are to wear. It’s counter to what you normally want to wear in hot weather. I’m sure if I stuck with them long enough I could adapt. It’s just that feeling I’m wearing really tight clothing that keeps me from using it.  The comment about looking like Mr Incredible when you remove your mesh riding jacket is spot on. Also something to get used too I suppose.

4Bikes said:
The Cyclegear heatouts I believe work. If you wear it under say a Tee-shirt you will sweat into it and the evaporation cools you off. What I can’t get past, is how tight they are to wear. It’s counter to what you normally want to wear in hot weather. I’m sure if I stuck with them long enough I could adapt. It’s just that feeling I’m wearing really tight clothing that keeps me from using it.  The comment about looking like Mr Incredible when you remove your mesh riding jacket is spot on. Also something to get used too I suppose.

I usually wear a loose wicking $5-7 hi-viz t shirt from Wal mart over the top and short pants over the shorts. I bought some thin zip off style hiking pants for days that start cool and warm up. Zip off the legs, you've got shorts and wear under your mesh (over your Heat outs). By sticking tightly to your skin, perspiration wicks straight through up to about 88-90 degrees, then it's just HOT outside.

Texas Concours14 said:
I recently switched from wearing bicycle shorts to Moto-Skiveez Adventure Skiveez- not cheap but they provide good cushioning for the gluts and sensitive bits.

I have a once used pair of Skivees for sale lol
Didnt like them myself

Having hit the ground a few times in my life, and slid fair distances... both in denims, and leathers, now that I am wearing an Aerostich Roadcrafter, I do consider what is said about what you put between your skin, and the pants.. but, I regularly ride in shorts, under my Stich.. because its pretty robust fabric...
Now, if I was wearing "mesh" pants, id reconsider, and surly want some denim, or fabric, between me and the outer garment..
Sliding down a road, with the mesh.melting to your skin, prolly would be painfull as a result... maybe simple cotton long john bottoms, with the quilted pattern,nwhich do flow air, but still prevent a melted plastic bond between skin and legs or azz...
I dunno, I'm sure it would be an interesting combo, but if you stop to eat, and remove your outer layer, it may provoke some questions...

:))

I wear the LD Comfort Riding tights under all my riding pants, both mesh and regular. No issues with abnormal wear that I can see. I’m very happy with the LD Comfort wear.

cbx4evr said:
I wear the LD Comfort Riding tights under all my riding pants, both mesh and regular. No issues with abnormal wear that I can see. I’m very happy with the LD Comfort wear.

I'm going to try it, barring any negative feedback.  The Motoport airmesh fabric is probably more abrasive then the cordura mesh though.

MAN OF BLUES said:
Having hit the ground a few times in my life, and slid fair distances... both in denims, and leathers, now that I am wearing an Aerostich Roadcrafter, I do consider what is said about what you put between your skin, and the pants.. but, I regularly ride in shorts, under my Stich.. because its pretty robust fabric...
Now, if I was wearing "mesh" pants, id reconsider, and surly want some denim, or fabric, between me and the outer garment..
Sliding down a road, with the mesh.melting to your skin, prolly would be painfull as a result... maybe simple cotton long john bottoms, with the quilted pattern,nwhich do flow air, but still prevent a melted plastic bond between skin and legs or azz...
I dunno, I'm sure it would be an interesting combo, but if you stop to eat, and remove your outer layer, it may provoke some questions...

:))

You better stick to the technical questions, my friend -- cuz you are WAAAAAAy off base (layer) on this one!!  :rotflmao:

Further to that (and I don't want to dig it up) the Motoport Kevlar Mesh is NOT going to melt in a slide.

Lots of data and info on previous posts, and from testimonials from their site from those that have crashed, walked away, and reported little to no damage on their gear.

probably a BIG reason why most of us bought into that stuff.

This is why I told MOB to STFU!  :nananana:  (as he waits patiently for the retort)

gr

Now boys.... Don't poke the bear....    :pokestick:              :popcorncouple:                              ;)

ron203 said:
I was skeptical on the original Heat Outs and waited until I got them on sale for about $10 each.

WINNER WINNER!  Thanks for all the input guys.

Just ordered a set of HOT-n-Cools  from Cycle Gear.  SHipping was silly, but I can't be bothered to drive across town to the Walmart of Motorcycling, to shop for a piece of gear they likely won't have in stock.

I know the internet is killing brick and mortar stores, but why must it be SO EASY for me to buy things this way?!?  :mad:

long live communism.....er Capitalism!!  :Woot_Emoticon:

Can't go wrong with LD Comfort tights or riding shorts.  May be expensive but well worth it and a US company.

Been wearing Under Armour Baskeball shorts in the lightest fabrics I can find. They come just to the knee and breathe well. Wearing the tall Forma Adventure boot requires a knee length Under Armour sock so I hoard all the dri wick Recharge and All Sport versions I can find at TJ MAXX. I have 4 packs I have not opened. Noted that one of my socks got a hole in the mesh by the toe when I put it on today so that one will get replaced. The Motoport liners are soft enough that I never feel the kevlar texture.

Going to try these next under the Formas just to see how they feel. I tend to like a thinner sock that wicks moisture away. https://www.socksaddict.com/fox-river-wick-dry-therm-a-liner-over-the-calf-socks  Looks like they can be worn as a liner in winter and stand alone in warmer weather

I've been wearing the Fox River liners for years while backpacking and they are the best. Absolutely swear by those. For hiking, I'd wear them under wool socks. The two layers slip against each other and wick instead of your foot getting sweaty and rubbing a blister. As a matter of fact, I don't think I ever had a blister while wearing those. Pretty amazing for me. For riding, it's a different application, but the wicking still works. Good stuff right there.

ChrisD said:
Can't go wrong with LD Comfort tights or riding shorts.  May be expensive but well worth it and a US company.

I ordered a pair of the LD Comfort tights as well as a pair of the CycleGear heatouts to check them out against the Texas heat this summer.  No doubt they will both work, but wanted to see how each would wear against the Motoport kevlar mesh. :beerchug:

I haven't had a chance to ride since I bought mine.

Post up when you get 'em tested.  I'll do likewise.

Kinda curious.

gr

I was going to say something dumb like, wear underwear underneath...  But then a more practical answer came to mind.  Have you thought of the REI convertible pants?  They are lightweight and dry quickly if they get wet.  The bottom half of the leg unzips if you want to have shorts on.  And the way they designed the lower half, you don't have to take off your boots to remove them.

Chris

AmphibSailor said:
ChrisD said:

I ordered a pair of the LD Comfort tights as well as a pair of the CycleGear heatouts to check them out against the Texas heat this summer.  No doubt they will both work, but wanted to see how each would wear against the Motoport kevlar mesh. :beerchug:

I guess I am a bit confused as to what people are feeling. I have stretch on the rear and kevlar mesh in the front. I don't feel any of the mesh with the material on the inside and the armour in place , I wear basketball length shorts and knee high UnderArmour All Sport socks with Forma Adventure boots. Where is it you are feeling anything? The fabric they use between the Armour and my skin is soft.

Daboo said:
I was going to say something dumb like, wear underwear underneath...  But then a more practical answer came to mind.  Have you thought of the REI convertible pants?  They are lightweight and dry quickly if they get wet.  The bottom half of the leg unzips if you want to have shorts on.  And the way they designed the lower half, you don't have to take off your boots to remove them.

Chris

I have three pair of what I  call "hiking pants" (like the REI convertible pants) that I  wear for this purpose. Sierra Trading Post  is a good online price alternative  to REI. I wear HeatOuts under those. I'm currently looking for some thin, over the calf wicking socks. I have thicker wicking boot socks from BassPro (Red Head brand) for the summer.

To answer Freebird's question:  I simply don't like the feeling of the inner liner on my motorports sticking to me in hot weather, particularly when i can feel the sweat dripping down my legs.  There are certain positions I move my legs into, that I can feel that kevlar poking through the mesh liner, and it's not pleasant.

To answer the question about the Convertible pants: too thick, for me, anyway.  But I see the practicality of the prospect.  just not for me.  I don't like layering, especially in summer.
To be very honest, I hate the heat, and I won't ride above 90deg if I can help it.

Why you guys keep scheduling the nationals in the DEAD of summer, is a complete Mystery to me, but I'm just one guy, who is admittedly not a fan of the hotter temps.
I prefer to ride in the winter, or at least when it's colder.  My policy is that i can ALWAYS add more clothes underneath, but i can only take OFF so many.  :truce:

WITH THAT ALL SAID:  CycleGar HeatOuts

Thumbs UP!  Cheap, comfortable, and definitely shed more heat than they keep in.
To be fair - i only got as high as 90 degf on my ride last weekend, but I never got any hotter than I would have been without the pants on.  They seem to have a nice ability to provide an auxillary evaporative effect on the lower body, and for me -- without the skin to skin contact with the liner of my Motoport Kevlar pants.

I even hit temps as low as 60 at elevation (5500 feet) with rain, and these liners didn't make me colder, when they got wet.

Good Recommend Ron!  :great:

gr

I used to have mesh gear.Now I know better and will never ever wear mesh again.
LD Confort  shorts under my Aerostich pants.  Nothing touching my skin as the knee pads keep the material off my legs. Slight venting from the bottom gives me a nice breeze all the way up and out the slightly unzippered sides. Even the privates get a nice cool breeze. Plus I am always wearing rain gear all the time- and summer gear  and winter gear  and fall gear--- I think you get it.  One good shell is all you need for all seasons and all weather.
Mesh is just way too hot and dehydrates you quickly. Might as well sit in front of a bast furnace if you like  hot air on your skin. Proper venting is the key. Call LD Comfort and they will explain it very  well. Much better than reading my post.  I called them and the advice is free.  They saved my @ss  when I rode cross country in 120 degree heat. 

:iagree: with the comments about the Cycle Gear Heat Outs.  I bought two pair (to rotate) at about $20 each and wore them under my Motoport Ultra II Air Mesh pants.  Even in the Texas heat, I was fine during my early morning rides.  My legs didn't get clammy like when wearing sweat soaked cotton and there were no snags or wear spots caused by the pants.  I wore them in temps from the 70's to the upper 90's.  These were a real bargain compared to the equally impressive LD Comfort tights (about $65), which I wore on the commute to the Rally (~275 miles). 

I figure that the mesh really helped the evaporation process and kept me dry considering the humidity this time was not bad.  Both brands were a winner....but at the low Cycle Gear Heat Outs price point..I say they come out on top.

I'm riding the Alps II Rolling Rally in July and will be updating this if things change.  Not sure if I'll be wearing the Motoport Mesh or the Motoport Stretch, though.

ghostrider990 said:
To answer Freebird's question:  I simply don't like the feeling of the inner liner on my motorports sticking to me in hot weather, particularly when i can feel the sweat dripping down my legs.  There are certain positions I move my legs into, that I can feel that kevlar poking through the mesh liner, and it's not pleasant.

To answer the question about the Convertible pants: too thick, for me, anyway.  But I see the practicality of the prospect.  just not for me.  I don't like layering, especially in summer.
To be very honest, I hate the heat, and I won't ride above 90deg if I can help it.

Why you guys keep scheduling the nationals in the DEAD of summer, is a complete Mystery to me, but I'm just one guy, who is admittedly not a fan of the hotter temps.
I prefer to ride in the winter, or at least when it's colder.  My policy is that i can ALWAYS add more clothes underneath, but i can only take OFF so many.  :truce:

WITH THAT ALL SAID:  CycleGar HeatOuts

Thumbs UP!  Cheap, comfortable, and definitely shed more heat than they keep in.
To be fair - i only got as high as 90 degf on my ride last weekend, but I never got any hotter than I would have been without the pants on.  They seem to have a nice ability to provide an auxillary evaporative effect on the lower body, and for me -- without the skin to skin contact with the liner of my Motoport Kevlar pants.

I even hit temps as low as 60 at elevation (5500 feet) with rain, and these liners didn't make me colder, when they got wet.

Good Recommend Ron!  :great:

gr

;D

One can get convertible pants made of nylon (very light and breathable).

If you're not stopping to pee you are becoming dangerously dehydrated.

Daytona Mike's advice is spot on.  He had the experience to back up his opinion. I watched him ride from SC to ID and back for the NW region's national in AUG.

Ranger Jim said:
One can get convertible pants made of nylon (very light and breathable).

Daytona Mike's advice is spot on.  He had the experience to back up his opinion. I watched him ride from SC to ID and back for the NW region's national in AUG.

Sierra Trading Post is  a good place to buy those convertible pants. Much better price than REI.

Ranger Jim said:

Jim,

Dangerously dehydrated....in my case, nope.  My longest day was only ~275 miles as I said in my post, with the other days shorter.  Each day I used my camel back with a mixture of gatorade and ice.  The combination of the Motoport Mesh, wicking base gear and camelback, worked well for me. 

I chose to leave my Aerostitch at home.  IMHO, it's not a good choice for Texas summers especially for the shorter rides (and that is based on my 'experience in Texas'). 

ron203 said:
Daboo said:

Chris

I have three pair of what I  call "hiking pants" (like the REI convertible pants) that I  wear for this purpose. Sierra Trading Post  is a good online price alternative  to REI. I wear HeatOuts under those. I'm currently looking for some thin, over the calf wicking socks. I have thicker wicking boot socks from BassPro (Red Head brand) for the summer.

Before heading to the National in Texas I purchased two pairs of zip off hiking pants for Blaise to wear under his mesh riding pants. He really liked them. They're lightweight and he was able to unzip the bottom half and wear shorts while walking around San Antonio. $25 at Academy sports.

Texas Concours14 said:
I have the moto skeevez and I'm not very fond of them. I bought the adventure ones too, but they bunch up, and hurt just as much (or worse) than regular undies.

I wore the convertible pants under my Darien Light pants and a wicking long-sleeved t-shirt under the Darien Light coat. I was (reasonably) comfortable in the Texas heat as long as I was moving.

When I was talking about being dangerously dehydrated I was referring to an all day (8+ hour) ride. On shorter rides the hazard is less.

Dont take this personal its just my opinion that means nothing. You already know I dont think mesh practical or convenient  like when it rains but  all the Motor port jackets and pants  I have seen on people  with the puckering and uneven stitching reminds of something someones mother hand sewed  from old potato sacks. LOL.  Sorry. Sometimes I just cant help myself.
motoport_zpsagtf4abl.jpg

I have to admit....for what I paid, the fit of my Motorport is truly obscene.

Given all the horror stories of people trying to get them to correct the first iteration of fitment based on provided measurements, and how persnickety the owner is -- I have avoided it.
I feel like the ONLY way to get it right is to go there in person.

I gave them a pair of my best fitting pants at the time, and what I got back wasn't even CLOSE.
I don't even know HOW that's possible??

The zippers in the sleeves are already starting to "splay" and not stay locked, even after only two seasons of use.

Yeah, it's bombproof, but the fitment process needs some serious work.

But contrarily, I respectfully don't agree with Mike:  I have ridden in the HOT with non-perf gear, and I will NOT do it again, unless I get caught out by accident in those conditions.

gr

ghostrider990 said:
I feel like the ONLY way to get it right is to go there in person.

Well worth the trip to San Diego in February. Mine was great from the first time I put it on. I wear it year round in the Midwest. From a low of 21 degrees to the present heat wave. Paired with my Warm N Safe in the winter and Dri Wick stuff and an Evap Cooling vest ni the summer. I am just fine. Bought the newest set of gloves as well. Primo. Feel naked without them.

PMd you Ron.

To be fair -- I should have been more diligent on fixing my fitment issues with my motoport gear sooner than I did.  But I wanted to wear it enough to be able to provide good feedback to them, in order to limit my need to ship stuff back and forth.
I think I'll "rest" this stuff this winter, and send it back for some adjustments and modifications.

The funny thing is, that I've gained weight since buying the Motoports, and the pants are STILL too big in the waist.  :-[
The pants I sent them to use as a template, haven't fit me in over a year.

Now you tell me, if that isn't a telling measurement of how liberal Motoport is with their idea of fitment.  ::)

I don't hate it, in fact - I LIKE this gear. Bombproof, and so much protection.
I just wish they would have gotten my original measurements closer to what I requested originally.

gr

The Ultra II Air Mesh Pants are designed to worn over a pair of pants per their webpage.  It also so .. or a pair of thin lycra shorts or something to that effect.  Gives them a lot of leeway.

I have the Air Mesh pants and a pair of the stretch kevlar ones.  They fit fairly well.  So I have no complaints.  I guess I got lucky.