• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What went wrong?

Alex, the video is choppy (not enough frames per second), and makes it harder to see the movements, but my vote is for rider error.
I took some screenshots and my conclusion is that the rider was counterleaning to start, when the front tire hit the lane reflector, it caused a shudder. Since the lean was in the wrong direction, the shudder was amplified, causing a tank-slapper, and the rider overcorrected.1000002749.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240208_230220_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240208_230220_Firefox.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20240208_230304_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240208_230304_Firefox.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20240208_230315_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240208_230315_Firefox.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 20
Thanks Jorge, that makes sense. I know we all like the adrenaline rush and ride fast but I also like to arrive home in one piece.

@Gigantor Freeze at 0:02 sec and it looks pretty clear that the rider is applying to much countersteer to the right (look at bars and front wheel), and the tankslapper begins right after. IMHO experience and speed were contributing factors.

+1 what Jorge and Steve say. It looks like there's another camera on the back of the van filming the hijinks of the group in back of this world leader, it may be part of whatever "team" of stunt idiots have in mind.

Agree with others.
Think that another contributor might be; (He looks very close to the truck)
As he started around the rear of the truck, he probably got a gust of wind (turbulence) at the same time that he hit the lane deflector.

Ride safe, Ted

At the start of the video it look like he is dropping down from a wheelie. Then had to take evasive actions.

I hate to say it but I could care less what' happens to dumbasses who wanna do crazy stunts, run from the police and endanger the rest of the world, all for the sake of having their 15seconds of fame. Is there really anything to learn from this video???? Yeah, don't ride like a JACKASS. jmtcw

I hate to say it but I could care less what' happens to dumbasses who wanna do crazy stunts, run from the police and endanger the rest of the world, all for the sake of having their 15seconds of fame. Is there really anything to learn from this video???? Yeah, don't ride like a JACKASS. jmtcw

Translation: Squid stuff! šŸ˜…šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£

At the start of the video it look like he is dropping down from a wheelie. Then had to take evasive actions.
Could be. It does seem like he sinks lower, then comes up slightly as he goes to the other lane. I was looking for wind gusts as he hit the effects of the bow wave coming off the front of the truck.

At least he was wearing socks under his sneakers. The sneakers either would wear through in a second, or be ripped off his feet. The socks will help.

All kidding aside, that kid spent weeks in the hospital I'll bet. No riding shoes/boots. Just thin pants and a sweatshirt. He'll have major road rash all over his body. While I don't like what he was doing, it isn't like I haven't done things other people would think were stupid too. I wouldn't wish what he had to go through on anyone.

@Jorge the choppy video was probably on your end of the Internet. Smooth on my end. What you can that helps, is to click on the gear icon in the lower right. One of the settings you can change is the playback speed. I ended up slowing it down to .25x to see the details.

Chris

This video popped up on Reddit a week ago or so.

The rider hit the reflector while making a sharp weight shift. Exceeded 100 pts of traction due to the abruptness of the maneuver and the hitting of the reflector, which caused a speed wobble that he didn't recover from.

r/calamariraceteam material right there....

:rolleyes:

-Z