• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What windshield or other changes for tall riders?

johnhopkins1649

I'm 6'-4" and there is no comfortable way to get my helmet out of the airflow. If I hunch over and make my head lower, is is so amazingly quiet.
I know an aftermarket seat is in the future. Is there a preferred windshield for taller riders? Any other suggestions to improve comfort?

Taller is not always better.
Before you buy something, try a wind deflector.

A good test is to buy an inexpensive clip-on wind deflector/lip on Ebay and then (assuming you like it) look for an ideal. There are many designs. Look for a wide one.
www.ebay.com

Adjustable Clip On Windshield Extension Spoiler Wind Deflector For Motorcycle | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Adjustable Clip On Windshield Extension Spoiler Wind Deflector For Motorcycle at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!
www.ebay.com

ie; You can keep the inexpensive deflector, buy a better one, or get a different shield with a wing. MRA Vario or MRA X-Creen are 2 good ones.
www.ebay.com

MRA Fairing Clear Vario-Touring Maxi Kawasaki GTR 1400 2007-2014 | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for MRA Fairing Clear Vario-Touring Maxi Kawasaki GTR 1400 2007-2014 at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!
www.ebay.com

www.ebay.com

MRA XCTM1 X-Creen Touring "XCTM" for GTR1400 07-14 Smoke Grey | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for MRA XCTM1 X-Creen Touring "XCTM" for GTR1400 07-14 Smoke Grey at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!
www.ebay.com

I am not tall, but had wind issues. Tried taller but didn't like it. So, I went to the MRA Vario and even though it's shorter than stock, it gives me better/more adjustable wind protection.
The X-Creen would be useful to taller riders.

Ride safe, Ted

Looking at the pics and not being as familiar with the stock setup, I think I already have a taller windshield. It is a Vstream. Maybe I'm too tall for even that one. The new seat MAY have to come sooner than later.

Is the current seat hurting you?
Reason I ask is a new seat would be taller?
So windshield would have to be taller?

Suggest you try the clip-on wind deflector and see if hit helps. Only about $20.
Many available on Ebay.

Ride safe, Ted.

Keep in mind that Ted's seat is considerably lower which allows him to use a shorter shield. I have the same shield and wouldn't have kept it if I didn't add madstad brackets. You might take Ted's advice and if that doesn't get you there, add the brackets. I like that the brackets move the shield farther away from me.

Keerection: The shorter seat helps my little feet touch the ground.
My 5"-9" height is what makes the Vario work for me.

Cliff had a taller seat, is taller, and used the Vario and was very happy with it.
But later added the Madstads and likes that set up better.

Last edited:
Is the current seat hurting you?
Reason I ask is a new seat would be taller?
So windshield would have to be taller?

Ride safe, Ted.
The factory seat wears on me for rides longer than an hour. I had a Corbin seat on my Blackbird that allowed me to sit a little lower.

I’m 6’4” also and use a MRS vario but the windshield is one of the few things about the C-14 I don’t like but the clip-on helps. No really good solution that I’ve found. I ride with it all the way down in summer anyway and a Goldwing when it’s winter or if I’m sure it’s going to pour. I enjoy the wind in the summe. Oh, and a Baldwin seat with AST peg lowering brackets for legroom.

Forgot the 2” bar risers and highway pegs on T-Rex engine guards.

Last edited:
Looking at the pics and not being as familiar with the stock setup, I think I already have a taller windshield. It is a Vstream. Maybe I'm too tall for even that one. The new seat MAY have to come sooner than later.
I am 6-3 and the Vstream works well. It creates a nice pocket to get out of the wind. I use the stock seat on my 2015 C14.

Keep in mind that Ted's seat is considerably lower which allows him to use a shorter shield. I have the same shield and wouldn't have kept it if I didn't add madstad brackets. You might take Ted's advice and if that doesn't get you there, add the brackets. I like that the brackets move the shield farther away from me.

I don't think the madstads are made anymore?

Put an ad in the classified section and see if anyone has any to part with. Madstad has dropped both the C10 and C14 from it's lineup. That's too bad. Great products.

Look at the CalSci tour shields. Their website explains everything you want to know about wind movement around a motorcycle and rider.

Look at the CalSci tour shields. Their website explains everything you want to know about wind movement around a motorcycle and rider.
Love the CalSci, get pre-2015 design, read below.

Note: For the CalSci windshields If you are into going fast, you know the closed course type of riding @ >130 mph the 2015 and up style CalSci windshield will not work for you. I have popped 3 or 4 of them (they spider badly due to the material type and vent opening too close to the mount holes.

After CalSci replaced 3 of them they said clearly this is not sustainable…. It takes one run north of 140 mph and windshield is done…

So - CalSci suggested I dump the 2015+ windshield and go with the pre-2015 style which replaces the large vent opening with a much smaller opening. I have now been riding this shield for 2+ years with many closed course runs to upper 150mph range without any issue.

I do like the CalSci screen, I am 6-1, use the stock seat with an airhawk atop the seat which probably adds another 1/2-1” torso height. The difference from stock to CalSci is dramatic. We do not have the extra large CalSci model rather the large - IOW they have a wider and taller version than we have.

On average we ride comfortably 300 - 600 miles a day depending on the amount of freeway droning to get to / from the sweet spots. Stock windshield that was not possible day after day but now no biggie. Last year our longest day was 978 miles when we were headed out to Utah from Pennsylvania. It wasn’t the wind that made us stop but exhaustion of a 17 hour (ride, gas, eat, repeat) day at upper 90*F weather and our butts getting sore.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but there is my warning and favorable testimony on CalSci. Note: injave test ridden customer machines with a variety of windshields and none work as good as the CalSci - have not tried one with the deflector on top.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

When I bought my 2015 in April, it had Cee Bailey windscreen. Not sure which size but previous owner was like 6'4". I know they aren't made anymore, but I think they were well regarded when they were made. I'm 6'1. It provides good protection, but things shake when I put it more than about 3/4 of way up. I know someone on here was selling brackets to tighten things up. Anyone know how the Cal Sci compares to Cee Bailey? Don't think we'll have connie on track. I still have my ZX-9R if I want to do that, but haven't since before got married so doubt I will. Now getting old for that. At least that is what people tell me. And my Leathers don't fit, lol.

So, I tried the clip on deflector but just before it arrived,.I discovered that my Bose noise cancelling ear buds fit nicely in the helmet. That is a game changer. The windshield/wind noise issue is gone. I can still hear what is around me but the wind noise is no longer an issue.

Reactions: Bud