• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What's In Your Toolkit?

jeffrymcgee

Training Wheels
Coggers, I have a question: I know almost zero about repairing my bike (Concours 14) and to be honest, I really don't want to know. I just ride the thing! Okay? I'm a member of Riders of Kawasaki (ROK), which has roadside service, plus my insurance has roadside service. If I break down, I can call somebody, somewhere, to come and get me. Having said that, I think I should have a basic understanding of some things, such as how to fix a flat. Here's my question (finally) (actually I have two questions): 1. What typically goes wrong while touring, and 2. What basic repairs should most anyone know how to do?

I have had three flats in the last few years. I carry a couple types of plugging kits and a couple ways to inflate the tire. I generally carry things that I know something about and can fix myself on the side of the road. Spare headlight bulb, fuses, emergency peg(c10) and other things and tools that would let me help myself more then rely on others. I also have a CC, roadside asst and a Spot personal locater since I spend a lot of time out of cell phone range. Photos[/url]

Howdy, As stated a plug kit is essiantial plus some way to reinflate the tire. I carry a 12v compressor I got from Aerostich. Works great and takes up very little room. Again spare headlight bulb, fuses, etc. A towing service is essential, though be prepared to live with your tow service or actual tow trucks sense of urgency. One thing I was suprised to find when I went to replace my worn out tires is that the tool kit does NOT contain the needed tools to actually remove the wheels. This has to be one of the first bikes I've owned in 40 years of riding that did not. I think of many an experience where having the ability to remove a wheel a real time saver when trying to get a group moving again. So, I'm putting a kit together that will allow me to pull my wheels on the road if needed. Later, Norm

Factory tool kit, mini air compressor, pulg kit, oil filter and wrench, 3 qts oil, oil plug socket, zip ties, electrical tape, cell phone, AAA RV card, credit card, UP

Tire plugs, mini air compressor, pocket knife style allen wrench set's, english and metric, small adjustable cresent wrench, magnetic screw driver with multiple bits, gerber multi tool, some wire, electrical tape, pliers and a small box of assorted metric nuts and bolts. All fits in the same roll bag with my rain gear and stays in the left saddle bag. I saw someone else post "cable ties". Great idea, they are going in tomorrow.