• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What's the Best music streaming app for android phone

tnrider

Moped
Any suggestions for listening to music through my Samsung smart phone? I apologize in advance for possibly posting this in the wrong section but I didn't see an Electronics Section in the forum.

I bought an mp3 player for my trip to the Southwest and loaded it with my favorite music.  On the way it would no longer pair up with my Sena 10C :mad:  It was nice listening to the FM stations that I could pick up but I would quickly get out of range.  Today I realized I could use my phone to load the music which worked great :-[ but on long trips I'll get tired of the same music I think.

I saw some apps on the phone to stream music but know little about this stuff.  I'd like to keep costs low and still listen to easy listening music, old rock, and some new stuff occasionally.  I tried to read previous posts about this stuff but the technology changes so fast that I worry that the posted information may be obsolete.

I have not tried this yet but Spotify lets you download songs and stream.  If in service you can use it live.  If you know you are heading out of service you may be able to DL a days mix to the phone.  You do have to have room on the phone for the music though.  That is part of my issue,  I have no room left.    I like Spotify but I will not tell you it has been error free.  I have issues with it all the time.  But I do use it on like 5 devices and some with OSs that they say they do not support.  It just gets confused and needs to clear cookies or something to get back on track.

Pandora also has (as least the paid version does) an offline listening option.  It continually downloads a bunch of your favorites, and continues to play even when you've lost signal.

Honestly, I pretty much always have Pandora streaming into my helmet through a G9x.

Jerry_Layman_NE said:
You guys with your unlimited data plans!

:(

<Shakes head and walks away slowly>
LOL!!  I don't know that there's any such thing any more, Verizon pretty much blackmailed my company into giving up the unlimited plan.

HOWEVER, you would be surprised at how little data is used up by streaming music.  I just moved my girlfriend out here to Seattle from St Louis this past February, and I streamed Pandora essentially the whole trip.  I'm looking at my bill, and I used just a hair over 1 GB data for the whole month.  So it doesn't use up too much.

If Data isn't unlimited...

What Samsung do you have?  If it's any of these : S3,S4,S5,S7 (there may be others), you can put in a microSD card and load up music on it.  I have over 25 gigs of music on mine - technically I could go for a month without hearing the same song, but that assumes you actually have that much music to load on it.  Just another option in case your plan doesn't offer free streaming - and it's good even when cell service is unavailable...

And SD memory is pretty cheap - just takes some time to load it all up...

Jamie

Classvino said:
If Data isn't unlimited...

What Samsung do you have?  If it's any of these : S3,S4,S5,S7 (there may be others), you can put in a microSD card and load up music on it.  I have over 25 gigs of music on mine - technically I could go for a month without hearing the same song, but that assumes you actually have that much music to load on it.  Just another option in case your plan doesn't offer free streaming - and it's good even when cell service is unavailable...

And SD memory is pretty cheap - just takes some time to load it all up...

Jamie

That's what I have done on my phones. Load about 5gig of music on the SD card and use the phones app (generic or Google Play) thru the earphones/buds. That way if I get a call or text I can hear the notification and respond (or not) if or when I choose.
Less devices, no data steaming, no interruption in service.

And you don't have to listen to someone elses idea of "good music".

I have about 400Gb of various genres that I am periodically rotating on/off my sd card on the phone - Android's drag'n'drop method makes it so easy...

Jamie

TnRider said:
Any suggestions for listening to music through my Samsung smart phone? I apologize in advance for possibly posting this in the wrong section but I didn't see an Electronics Section in the forum.

I bought an mp3 player for my trip to the Southwest and loaded it with my favorite music.  On the way it would no longer pair up with my Sena 10C :mad:  It was nice listening to the FM stations that I could pick up but I would quickly get out of range.  Today I realized I could use my phone to load the music which worked great :-[ but on long trips I'll get tired of the same music I think.

I saw some apps on the phone to stream music but know little about this stuff.  I'd like to keep costs low and still listen to easy listening music, old rock, and some new stuff occasionally.  I tried to read previous posts about this stuff but the technology changes so fast that I worry that the posted information may be obsolete.

*** VLC Media Player ***

Hands down awesome application.
I'm running it on my Android phone and it will transfer files through your router from your PC.

It also runs on Linux and has a lot of extras built in, like playing movies.

Used by advanced COGGERS who know what they are doing.  ;)

By the way...I'm currently downloading several days worth of music to play on my Android while riding as well.
Satellite radio just ain't cutting it for me anymore, so I'm tailoring my own in flight entertainment.

There is a program called "streamripper" that makes the job very easy.  :)

Here's a handy remote for those of you using Android as your entertainment centre...

http://www.banggood.com/IMars-BT-005-12M-Car-Bluetooth-Media-Button-Series-Remote-Control-Smartphone-Audio-Video-p-1064239.html

Can't seem to be able to grab the photo to link here, but basically, it's a button that clips onto your handlebar (or handgrip or steering wheel) with Volume Up/Down, Next, Back, and Pause buttons.

I know that I can control my music via my Cardo headset (and that the others can too)  but for fingertip control without riding around tapping the side of your helmet, I tried one of these.  I like it.  And it only took 8 weeks to get here.  :eek:

I notice the price is now $8 - I got it for 5 (9 weeks ago)  ::)

Jamie

Classvino said:
Here's a handy remote for those of you using Android as your entertainment centre...

http://www.banggood.com/IMars-BT-005-12M-Car-Bluetooth-Media-Button-Series-Remote-Control-Smartphone-Audio-Video-p-1064239.html

Can't seem to be able to grab the photo to link here, but basically, it's a button that clips onto your handlebar (or handgrip or steering wheel) with Volume Up/Down, Next, Back, and Pause buttons.

I know that I can control my music via my Cardo headset (and that the others can too)  but for fingertip control without riding around tapping the side of your helmet, I tried one of these.  I like it.  And it only took 8 weeks to get here.  :eek:

Jamie

You mean this? Nice gadget!  :great:
5b34e1fa-0f9e-4c39-9574-8d5b6ac580cf.jpg

Harry Martin said:
Classvino said:

Jamie

You mean this? Nice gadget!  :great:

I want one...

By the way, if you were a former iTunes/iPod user and now use an Android device. I highly recommend the android app Double Twist, in addition to being media player,  it allows you continue using iTunes to store and catalog your playlists and synch the iTunes content to your android device or other player. Theonly draw back is the music needs to be saved in iTunes as an mp3.  This can be done by iTunes.  I use it to sync my android phone and my zumo. 

Harry Martin said:
...You mean this? Nice gadget!  :great:

Yup - that's the one.  Just one more thing the firewall at work kills...

(If you have a minute, pls post a pic with the plastic handlebar thingy too...      Thanks)

I've got two more on order already for a couple local riding buddies. 

Jamie