• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Whats the best Rider to Passenger communicators?

jfs811

Training Wheels
Looking to get a communication system for me and my passenger. What are the ones out there and which ones are the best.

turn around and yell?  :nananana:

we use Scala Q2.  I've used them for several years both for bike-2-bike and rider-2-passenger.  also works with my phone and picks up FM radio.

We are using the Sena, SMH10 for the Mrs and 20s for me. You can get a dual pack of the SMH10 for $285 right now.

MotoCommuter said:
We are using the Sena, SMH10 for the Mrs and 20s for me. You can get a dual pack of the SMH10 for $285 right now.

+1- we've been using Sena's for several years.

I've been very happy with the Scala G4 and G9.  Suggest the G9x base so you can use in ear stereo plugs instead of speakers.

I like my starcom1 it allows a gps, cb radio and has an auto volume feature depending on you speed.

Sena works for me and the model depends on your use.  I have the latest SMH5.  My only complaint is the music fidelity (voice is just fine) sucks

kathybrj said:
MotoCommuter said:

+1- we've been using Sena's for several years.

Sena SMH5 with FM for me, and SMH10 for her.  And I tease her when I don't hear her because 'the battery was dying'.  Battery life is 4+ hours of riding.  Not that we have ridden that long together recently.

Tapping on the knee and then sign language works great. She can always grab my crotch and gets my attention. If really difficult, the chalk board works wonders lol.

We have been using Sena SMH10 for a handful of years with no issues. Took it on my 7k mile trip two years ago. Worked flawlessly.

JustRide said:
Looking to get a communication system for me and my passenger. What are the ones out there and which ones are the best.

A lot of opinion will dictate this question.

I have a SENA SMH10R

The best is to pull over, stop and shut down the engine then turn around and speak to each other.  :)  If you want to try to communicate while moving, the best is likely a wired system (e.g. Starcom), next best will be a system like a Sena or Scala Rider or (what I use) a Nolan N-com.

Ranger Jim said:
The best is to pull over, stop and shut down the engine then turn around and speak to each other.  :)  If you want to try to communicate while moving, the best is likely a wired system (e.g. Starcom), next best will be a system like a Sena or Scala Rider or (what I use) a Nolan N-com.

Why would a wired system be better than a wireless system? I have never had a communications issue with a modern wireless system. I had an old Scala system that worked about 40% of the time and was hard to hear. Modern Bluetooth is reliable, supports quality audio, and you aren't tethered to anything or anyone. For that matter wireless is better since I am not tied to a bike or person..

jdegraff said:
Ranger Jim said:

Why would a wired system be better than a wireless system? I have never had a communications issue with a modern wireless system. I had an old Scala system that worked about 40% of the time and was hard to hear. Modern Bluetooth is reliable, supports quality audio, and you aren't tethered to anything or anyone. For that matter wireless is better since I am not tied to a bike or person..

my answer to that would be because I always have to say "check" to get the unit to queue up and connect before either of us speaks.  if you just start talking, several words are missed and the next question is "what?"!  :)

Why would you have to say anything? Touch the button and talk away. I certainly wouldn't want the mic to be hot all the time. I prefer to listen to music when my attention isn't needed elsewhere

I use the G9X system. It has vox command functions for hands free use.
I also added a 3.5 splitter cable, and run a line down to my phone.
This gives me full duplex intercom, the ability to listen to music in the background at the same time, bluetooth phone calls, with earbuds.
Best of all worlds, and battery life is 10+ hours. And yes, I ride long enough rides to outlast the battery!

I've also found the optional mic that plugs into the cradle via a wire works much better, and is far quieter concerning wind noise.

Cardo has just released their newest system, Packtalk, that lets you listen to music and talk at the same time wirelessly, intercom with 9 others, and now offers 13 hours of battery life.
But, I can't believe how pricey it is! I think $579 is ridiculous for a set. I'll stick with my setup for a while longer.

They also have dropped the Q2 line, and have replaced it with the new Q3's. They're less expensive than the G9X powerset, but don't have the range or some of the features the G9X or Packtalk have.
But they will musicshare, which let you and a passenger both listen to the same music source and intercom together.

RE: What's the best Rider to Passenger communicators? Lips and a little tongue, helmets off, at the wayside!!!

:D :D

MotoCommuter said:

Just bought the dual SMH10's for us and tried them last weekend. Still learning all the  possibilities.

Sport Rider said:
jdegraff said:
Ranger Jim said:

my answer to that would be because I always have to say "check" to get the unit to queue up and connect before either of us speaks.  if you just start talking, several words are missed and the next question is "what?"!  :)

With the new Sena 20S all you have to do is start talking and it transmits it all. I was quite impressed with this unit. All the time I was listening to music from ipod wired to Sena and also bluetoothed phone and Garmin and it worked great. Even took a couple of phone calls while traveling at 70 plus mph and though the caller could tell I was outside or something they heard me just fine and vice versa. The 20S may be a bit pricey but it has all the bells and whistles and from I can tell they all work as advertised. There were two of us on our trip last week to Colorado and he was listening to music via his phone and fielding phone calls and it all worked like it was supposed to. We could communicate and have a conversation anytime while on the trip, it was nice. When playing music you just speak and it overrides the music and does not miss the first words spoken.

I just sold my G9's a week ago. I have pre ordered the new PackTalk from Cardo. It is rated at 13 hours of talk time. You can listen to both music and the conversation at the same time (just like if you were in the car with the radio on...) You can also have up to 10 people connected to a conversation which is the biggest reason I got these. I ride with at least 5 friends. We all had G9/G9x's and getting all 5 of us on to talk about stopping for lunch was difficult.
If the PackTalk is anything like the G9/G9x I will be a happy camper.

Jon

Wireless systems are (pretty much) immune to outside interference and (usually) offer better clarity. There's a reason that aviation intercom systems are wired. Wireless systems have improved greatly in the recent years and can now (probably) rival a wired system. I had a wired system on my GL 1800 Goldwing and it worked flawlessly. I used a wireless (Scala Rider G4) for a while on my Concours and it would frequently "go to sleep" (does it after a period of inactivity to save the battery) and was difficult to "awaken."  My Nolan N-com does not seem to have the same issue that the Scala Rider had (the N-com is newer). Wireless systems are more convenient when riding because you're not tethered to the bike but you'll have to re-charge them pretty much every night (or after about 8-9 hours of being on). A wired system is on when the bike is running as it is powered by the bike's charging system.

I can't use VOX. I am apt to break out into song and that's the last thing anyone connected wants to hear... LOL

Battery life on the SMH10 is pretty good but when we were riding 12-14 hours a day I was happy to have a spare that I kept on the charger. About half way through the ride I would swap them preemptively.

I certainly wouldn't want to be able to talk and have music at the same time since the music pretty much stays on 11 and there would be no talking or listening to anything else.

Ear buds are a must have in any system. Helmet speakers suck and I either have to have ear buds or ear plugs in to ride. Nekid without them.

Got my wife on my bike for the 1st time ever last weekend...day trip to Banff  :great:
We're going on a 2500km trip in 3 weeks, so wanted to try out her gear. I bought the Scala Rider Q1 Teamset (got it for CDN $215) and it worked well. Comes pre-paired; you can each listen to your own / share music and it has FM. I'm happy with the performance, especially at the price. And it was nice to be able to coach her on our first ride; I look forward to showing her POI's en route during our trip!

I just ordered another g9 set to replace the one that was crushed in the accident. Read a long thread on ADV on the Sena 20. Really wanted that one to work but after being in downpours and reading that the Sena was not actually waterproof and the number of replies that had consumers sending the units back I went back to Cardo. Given that NO ONE at Cardo could give me a release date for the Pack talk I went back to the G series which I have had for years and has functioned well with software upgrades and out of town buddies linking up off and on. Best part is I do not have to retrain the wife to use a new device. Woman hates change more than life itself.

I'll add another +1 for the Scala Rider G9's or now the 9X. I have the G9's and they work great. I use it everyday for my commute. Gotta have my tunes! The wife and I use them when ever riding 2 up. Got caught in some very heavy down pours and the G9's never faltered. When we rode back from the nationals last year we went 11 hours straight before I started getting battery low warnings. All in all very good IMO.

Sena and Cardo (Scala) have similar [quality] products. I have a Scala G4 and have had speaker go bad a few times. Scala support and response to customer issues lacks luster. Scala just caught up to Sena to allow connection of in ear monitors. The Scala user interface, especially when combining music, phone, and bike to bike, is not intuitive. Can't speak for the Sena controls.

I've had the SENA 20s for nearly a year now, and barely been able to use it.  :-[

I took it solo last year on my western trip, and 1 day into it, got so fouled with mixed bluetooth signals between my garmin, phone, and the headset itself - i could never get it working again.

Then, I managed to brake on of the very tiny (and flimsy) mounting/attachment tabs on the boom mount, where the
main unit mates to the receiver.
Great.
Emailed SENA, and they very graciously RMA'd the unit, and sent me a new one -- WHICH, has not left it's box since being sent.
This year I mounted the second of the 2 part set orginally purchased last year.
It took me about 4-5 uses before the second mounting tab broke, and now the unit will not stay attached
to the boom. Grrrrrr.
Haven't sent it back in yet....I fear I may be told no.

So far, I blame myself for the (lack of) integration with my Garmin and Phone.
However, the breakage of the mounting point is nearly inexcusable, and I am truly disappointed by how flimsy
this particular portion of the unit has proven to be.

In my own defense, I was extremely careful with the second unit (1st batch) and I still managed to break the mount pin.  It's a weak weak design.
I cannot understand how more people aren't having this same issue???

I hate banging on this product, but I just have not had the best luck with it.

Also, have to agree with others: the AUDIO quality is not as good as the voice when streaming  music from a
phone or GPS.
I managed to move the in-helmet speakers around to get better sound than my original mounting points, but now they are extremely uncomfortable over anything but short rides. *sigh*
I really wanted to love this system, but I've yet to install it and get what I expected out of even ONE headset, let alone two.
trouble is, I keep BREAKING one, and can't use TWO together.  :mad:

I'm going to RMA the 2nd broken unit asap, and hopefully I can give further input on my experience to you all.

I am now leaning more towards a wired IN EAR headphone due to poor audio quality (especially at 60+mph) as I mostly bought this set for the sole purpose of streaming music WIRELESSLY to my helmet.
Disappointing again.
Still waiting a newer REV for download that will correct this issue.  still, a year later.

I paid $500 for the dual set. 
I'm not too sure I got what I paid for.

I had the same problem with my 20s, reading their forum, seems there's been a lot of problems with the mounting tabs. Got the RMA and sent it back, took about 3wks to have my new one in my hands. They completely redid the mounting tab. Looks tone aluminum now, goes on much easier now. If anybody has a older 20s, send it in this winter and get it replaced under warranty.

jdegraff said:
I can't use VOX. I am apt to break out into song and that's the last thing anyone connected wants to hear... LOL

Battery life on the SMH10 is pretty good but when we were riding 12-14 hours a day I was happy to have a spare that I kept on the charger. About half way through the ride I would swap them preemptively.

I certainly wouldn't want to be able to talk and have music at the same time since the music pretty much stays on 11 and there would be no talking or listening to anything else.

Ear buds are a must have in any system. Helmet speakers suck and I either have to have ear buds or ear plugs in to ride. Nekid without them.

I tested my SENA SMR10R ( I think thats the model ) system at 70MPH and made a phone call. I could hear everything fine.

However longer distances, I will have earplugs.  And I have not tested it yet.  However after having to TURN IT DOWN at highway speeds due to being too loud, I'm thinking even with earplugs I will be just fine.

ST eater said:
I had the same problem with my 20s, reading their forum, seems there's been a lot of problems with the mounting tabs. Got the RMA and sent it back, took about 3wks to have my new one in my hands. They completely redid the mounting tab. Looks tone aluminum now, goes on much easier now. If anybody has a older 20s, send it in this winter and get it replaced under warranty.

THat's good news.
I don't know why I never even OPENED the replacement unit they sent me to check?!  :-[
I haven't been on their forums recently (which is TOTALLY not like me) but I'm in the middle of a job change / move this summer, and have been totally distracted from my usual motorcycle farkling, etc.

Thanks for the info.

gr

Just finished a 3,000 mile trip with my wife.  We have used a Scala Rider Q3 multiset for the last year.  The system works perfectly.  Helmet speakers are good, I could listen to music while doing 85 on the freeway.  Battery lasts about 7-8 hours on a charge.  I highly recommend this system.

Sena SMH-10 has worked well for Pamela and I for several years.

They have had several firmware updates and support the universal pairing option so you may pair with other brands of motorcycle comm.

They were easy to install in Shoei Neo-Tec helmets and the sound quality is good.

You just ensure that the retention latch snaps when you mount the transceiver into the holder for peace of mind.

They have worked in freezing cold, driven rain, and 100+ temps with no anomalies.

Craig