• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Wheel balancing

ferabern143

Savez-vous comment j'équilibre mes roues... Balles d'airsoft ;)

1678383468-dscn3585.jpg

1678383469-dscn3586.jpg

I've never tried airsoft beads, but I have used balance beads. I think the balance beads would have the advantage of being heavier per bead, with the disadvantage of costing far more.

FWIW, when I have used the balance beads, I didn't need any other means of balancing my tires.

Chris

That might be. I have balance beads already, so I'll stick with them. :) If it works for you, great.

Maybe I'm just fortunate, but the original wheels that came with my BMW usually don't require any balancing. I have Bridgestone T32s mounted right now with no weights of any kind. I simply put the dot on the sidewall where the valve stem is and it is the smoothest ride I've had with any tires.

I have a second set of rims, and they sometimes aren't as smooth. For those, I have some balance beads I can use when needed.

Good luck to you with the airsoft beads. Let us know how they work.

Chris

actually I’m not at my test run, I’ve been using them for more than 10 years, camper van, side-car, motorcycles... without any other balancing ;)

Yeah, I understand. There are people who talk about how when you hit a bump, the beads shift. And this is a big deal??? So what? It happens so fast, you can't sense it.

It isn't a question to me of what someone might think theoretically, but what I experience. I've ridden probably 50+ thousand miles (or more) without using a static wheel balancer and I don't have a bike that rides with any vibration.

"Beads" work. If they don't, you have some serious problems. (Again, not based upon some musings behind a keyboard, but simply by over 50K miles ridden.)

Chris

For me it’s more than 32,1868.8 miles for all vehicles, I systematically climb the marbles without checking if there is a need or not, it balances in dynamics, after everyone does as he wants.;)
as I do the disassembly and assembly of the tires, I reuse the balls

Bernard

Last edited:
Question, have you ever had a flat with balance beads in the tire? If you did have a flat and had to put a plug in the tire, or if you used ones of the liquid sealant products like SLIME, I would think you would have a problem with the rotation of the beads hitting the plug, or getting stuck in the SLIME. How do you know how much beads have to be added to the tire? 10grams or 30grams? Another concern is all tire manufacturers void the warranty of the tire if balance beads are used in the tire.

You have to make a choice in advance of what you plan to do. If you use a tire sealant goo, you can't use balance beads...and then you use another method to fix a flat. If you don't, use balance beads you can use a sealant.

Tire punctures seem to happen only to the rear tire. It's like the front tire flips the nail up and the rear tire rolls over it before it can lay flat again. It's one of those mysteries of life.

I find that usually, I don't even need balance beads. Is it because BMW wheels are so precisely manufactured that they don't need balancing? I doubt it. I simply align the dot on the tire with the valve stem and usually it works fine. I have two sets of wheels: one with Conti RA3s and the other with Bridgestone T32s. Neither has any balancing beads or weights. That leaves me free to use Slime if desired.

But I also carry two plug kits. One is the larger mushroom sized plugs. The other is the much smaller plugs. I plan to use those, and carry a Slime air pump to refill the tire with air afterwards.

If you ride in the tire tracks, the cage drivers do you a favor and pick up all the metal debris in their tires. But if you venture into the center of the road where they can't clean it off for you, then you'll pick up the metal stuff that'll test your abilities to fix a punctured tire.

Chris

Question, have you ever had a flat with balance beads in the tire? If you did have a flat and had to put a plug in the tire, or if you used ones of the liquid sealant products like SLIME, I would think you would have a problem with the rotation of the beads hitting the plug, or getting stuck in the SLIME. How do you know how much beads have to be added to the tire? 10grams or 30grams? Another concern is all tire manufacturers void the warranty of the tire if balance beads are used in the tire.
Hello
Of all these years of service I have only had one puncture which I repaired with a drill bit and no particular problem, I nevertheless took the wheel off when I got home after 600 km to see if it was fine. I hadn't made any amalgam and raked the wick from the inside out, nothing had stuck and the wick was no longer sticky.
I never used (slime) and I think it wouldn’t work.

link

Last edited:
YES.
If you plug a tire with a worm type plug. Yes some of the beads will stick to it, but all the others are there to keep the wheel balanced. They even compensate for the addition of the plug. I have never used a liquid sealant but if it stays liquid then it would replace the function of the beads, so even if they all stuck in the same spot the liquid would now work as the balancing medium.

The packaging gives a recommended amount for wheel size.

How often have you used a tire warranty? Was it worth the hassle? Punctures are not covered by the manufactures warranty, it would be a road hazard coverage. Probably by an outside insurer. And they will do all they can to not cover it.

I used dyna bead for years and had a few punctures with the tires they were being used on and never had an issue with them leaking, sticking, flowing out or anything. I also changed my own tires out for years but lately when I didn't, I would just remember to tell whoever was changing the tire I had them in.