• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

When you adjust the rear shock...

Don't worry about it too much for your trip. Just stiffen the suspension.

You'll be shocked at how few people in the club ever set their sag and they do fine.

Since you're going to be loaded for your trip (hauling gear).
On the rear; Probably best to just put 50# in the rear shock and set the damper at medium setting.
On the front: crank in preload and try to get about 1 1/4" of sag / loaded.
NOTE: If you have stock springs it's doubtful you can get that little sag.
,,,, The best you can do will be about 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" of loaded sag which will be fine.

Last edited:
Don't worry about it too much for your trip. Just stiffen the suspension.

You'll be shocked at how few people in the club ever set their sag and they do fine.

Since you're going to be loaded for your trip (hauling gear).
On the rear; Probably best to just put 50# in the rear shock and set the damper at medium setting.
On the front: crank in preload and try to get about 1 1/4" of sag / loaded.
NOTE: If you have stock springs it's doubtful you can get that little sag.
,,,, The best you can do will be about 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" of loaded sag which will be fine.
50? In the Harley world 13lbs is hard and 20 will pop the seals. And you need a fancy inflator. How much of that applies to this situation?

When you say middle, I crank the knob all the way one way, make a dot with a paint pen, spin all the way the other way counting the turns, divide in two?

The stock rear shock on a C-10 is an air shock.
It sounds like you do not have a stock C-10 rear shock?

If you do not have a stock shock, you have to set the sag as the video demonstrates.
Watch the video and follow those instructions.

The stocker holds a maximum of 50 PSI with a minimum pressure of about 20*.
50* always worked fine for me when loaded.
You can adjust the pressure with a special tool, but it's easier to use an air compressor and a pressure regulator.
ie; Use the regulator to set the air pressure to whatever pressure you want and fill the shock.

The damper is a pin that moves over a range of 3 or 5 detents.
Normally, the middle detent is fine.

The stock rear shock on a C-10 is an air shock.
It sounds like you do not have a stock C-10 rear shock?

If you do not have a stock shock, you have to set the sag as the video demonstrates.
Watch the video and follow those instructions.

The stocker holds a maximum of 50 PSI with a minimum pressure of about 20*.
50* always worked fine for me when loaded.
You can adjust the pressure with a special tool, but it's easier to use an air compressor and a pressure regulator.
ie; Use the regulator to set the air pressure to whatever pressure you want and fill the shock.

The damper is a pin that moves over a range of 3 or 5 detents.
Normally, the middle detent is fine.
Oh I only looked at it when I flushed the rear brake, I didn't know what I was looking at but I thought it was a air spigot and a knob. More to come

Ok so about 3psi in the rear shock. I aired it up to 40 psi going to check it in an hour. It's not a turning knob it's in and out and I set it to the middle

WOW what a difference. 40psi in the rear shock makes quite a difference. We put 530 miles on today and while I miss the Cadillac ride, going past trucks and big wind doesn't cause the rear to wiggle and that's confidence inspiring. I thought this was a nice handling bike before. The only downside I found is that 30mph now feels the same as 70mph. But the huge upside is that it's rock solid in the corners now. Doesn't seem to leak. I think everytime I checked it it lost 4-5 psi. You just can't check it like I'd like to but I guess this is one of those learning lessons. I called the previous owner and he said "the rear suspension takes air?" LoL 🤣🤣🤣

if you would, do a sag check with differing pressures and see what the sag looks like.
Would like to know what it shows.

Ride safe, Ted

If you have an air compressor (?) it's easiest/most accurate to do the changes with it.
ie; Set the output pressure (using a pressure regulator) to the desired pressure (plus 2 PSI).
Put air into the shock with an air chuck until airflow stops.
NOTE: The pressure regulator will not allow more pressure than the pressure you have set.
After airflow stops, quickly remove the air chuck.
You will still lose a tiny bit of pressure, but the extra 2 PSI should keep you at the desired pressure.
Mebbe try 20/30/40/50 and measure the sag (using the method shown on the video).

Only put a 120 miles on her today, rear shock still rock solid. Too rock solid actually. I'm going to try to get the measurements tomorrow. It's on 42 lbs right now, I'm guessing that I will end up 32-35lbs. Need to find the sport\comfort balance. I'm getting old and messed up physically already so comfort has to be a part of the equation.