• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Where to Drill Holes in Plastic for Accessories?

TNJED

Training Wheels
Okay, I currently have a hand-grip-warmer toggle switch "zip tied" to to my handle bars and a cigarette lighter power outlet ready to install. I really really hate the idea of drilling holes in Connie's plastic. If I am going to make holes in her perfect plastic I want some solid advice about location. What have you all done? Thanks for the help.

Dont? Have you seen how much plastics are for the lady? I have my cigarette adapter zip tied  near the front of the bike.  Dunno where you could put the toggle tho.

Eddie_Bohanan_TN said:
Dont? Have you seen how much plastics are for the lady? I have my cigarette adapter zip tied  near the front of the bike.  Dunno where you could put the toggle tho.

I hear ya... I fear commitment and the zip tie is just fine for now.

I think it all depends on the level of craftsmanship.  The po of mine did a crappy job of putting in a rocker for some aux lights, and ruined the plastic.  Starting with choosing the wrong switch, it dosen't match the bike at all.  It needed a rectangular hole, so it looks like he used a utility knife, and overshot the cut a couple of times, didn't make it quire large enough, so the switch doen't sit flush, and isn't quite straight, either.

On the other hand, conando's installation looks factory and enhances the bike.  He chose a switch that blends well with the style of the dash, chose a good location, centered in the area for it, and didn't leave any tooling marks outside the switch bezel.

I use an Autoswitch to operate my aux. lights. I just switch my high beams on for about 1 second then switch back to the low and the aux. lights are on.  Repeat the process to turn them off.  Works great for simple (e.g. on/off) switchs and no plastic cutting.  I got the switch from Aerostitch.

Another +1 on John's install.

Some folks have also used the inside of there compartments for drilling and mounting stuff.  I personally have installed some things in the actual glovebox doors since they are easily replaced and less expensive.  Just a thought.

I installed a 12v recepticle in the left side of the fairing (i.e., the blk plastic facing the rear of the bike), approx even with where my tank bag sits. This is to minimize the distance of a power cord for whatever I need to provide power for.

I didn't do this on the spur of the moment, however; I thought about it for months until I was positive as to where I wanted to install the 12v recepticle. I don't take the drilling of holes in my plastic lightly...

This is where I mounted the "Power Outlet" with and On/Off switch.  Along with the "Temp Gauge".
DSC06769.jpg

Here's the Voltage gauge mounted.
DSC06770.jpg

Kinda get the idea of the layout.
DSC06915.jpg

Tele130 said:
This is where I mounted the "Power Outlet" with and On/Off switch.  Along with the "Temp Gauge".
DSC06769.jpg

DSC06770.jpg

DSC06915.jpg

Tele, is the Auto gage lighted? also, is it water proof? I lile the size and the look, but figure my max current draw will be at night, if I can't see the gage it's not worth much  ::)

I installed one under the temperature guage on my '04.

DSCI0449_1204x903.jpg

I also hid one in the left glove box.

DSCI0453_1204x903.jpg

Tele130 said:

8)And where did you get the locker room keys of the 2011 Super Bowl champions, Green Bay Packers, that we see in that last pic?

Lots of room behind the plastic for what I put on.  Radio Shack $7 12v kit and  EC LED voltage idiot lite and grip heater switch under fuel gauge

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 92