• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Where to go from here?

acr_scout

Bicycle
All,

As you know I have been concerned about the vibration or buzz I feel in my '11 Connie.  I have put 400 miles on it since the 4,000 mile service.  After the service I was advised to ride it some and see if it smooths out or something breaks.  The dealer said the vibrations he observed and felt above 3,700 RPMs did not seem right.  He filed a complaint with Kawasaki (Log #697135).  The buzz is still there and it is getting to be uncomfortable for me to ride.

I called Kawasaki myself this evening to discuss this because the dealer will not do any research under warranty.  Customer service said that the dealer must claim that the vibration is abnormal. I ask how do I get Kawasaki to do research in the complaint database to see how many others have complained about this vibration.  Tim (customer service) said Kawasaki "wouldn't care to do that kind of research for the customer".  I was kind of shocked.  He then said that their quality assurance department does research if necessary.  I asked how do I get them to do the research and he said they would only do it for a technical bulletin.  (How does one trigger research?)

So, where do I go from here? Trade for a 2012 and hope it was just an issue with my bike?  Trade for a different model or make of motorcycle? Do I just sell and get out of riding all together?

What are my options?

Thanks for the help and directions.

Fred

I think you listed your options already! I personally would think twice before doing any of the options. You buy a new C14 and it could have the same problem. You buy another brand bike,, and you may or may not like it as much. And getting out of riding all together is a drastic solution. And it's something that I would say you have to decide for yourself.  I know, not the answers that you want to hear. But unfortunately I feel that you need to make these decision based on your own thoughts.

So what about mechanical options?
Here is a list of what I have heard or read but where do I get the work done?

Risers? (Had them, no help and didn't like the feel)
Wedges? (Had them, no help made things way worse)
Thick rubber under handlebars?
Remap ECU?
Resync Throttlebody?
New exhaust (not sure how this applies)?
Adjust internal dynamic balancer?

Try the Heli ST Bars.  They solved a very bad hands going numb problem for me.  They helped fit the bike to me, versus me fitting to the bike. 

Way cheaper than a 2012 bike with the same ergonomics as a 2011 bike.

Well Fred ! it's a motorcycle, Expect vibration. Your sitting on one of the most powerful machines known to man. OH ! Wait till you feel the wind also . Then theres bugs. OH wait ! road gaters also . The reason why the dealer wont do anything is because He knows that's normal for that bike. He just wants you to settle down and enjoy the bike for what it is. Sounds to me like you should go get a goldwing.
Or , Try  Grip puppies. Heavy counter weights on the handlebars. Stop putting so much arm weight on the handlebars by installing adiquate risers. Your engines ok or the dealer would of noticed it. My C14 buzzes. Im ok with it. OR , you could go purchase a way over priced BMW ! Just settle down and learn to enjoy your motorcycle. Take from a guy who knows. there;s always something with any motorcycle. I promise you that. Now LETS RIDE !  :)

If you will give me all your contact info, and the dealership location where you took your bike, I can contact Kawasaki Corporate on your behalf. I can't guarantee it will do any good, but I'm willing to try.

Some bikes are more prone to vibrations than others, and it's hard to say if yours is normal or not without riding it and comparing it to another one. Most of the time the thing that fixes bikes that have vibrations is to loosen and retorque all the engine mounts, including the rear one. Sometimes a throttle body sync will also help.

But my first guess would be that you have an improperly adjusted engine mount bolt somewhere, and that is probably where I would start it if were my bike.

Trouble said:
Well Fred ! it's a motorcycle, Expect vibration. Your sitting on one of the most powerful machines known to man. OH ! Wait till you feel the wind also . Then theres bugs. OH wait ! road gaters also . The reason why the dealer wont do anything is because He knows that's normal for that bike. He just wants you to settle down and enjoy the bike for what it is. Sounds to me like you should go get a goldwing.
Or , Try  Grip puppies. Heavy counter weights on the handlebars. Stop putting so much arm weight on the handlebars by installing adiquate risers. Your engines ok or the dealer would of noticed it. My C14 buzzes. Im ok with it. OR , you could go purchase a way over priced BMW ! Just settle down and learn to enjoy your motorcycle. Take from a guy who knows. there;s always something with any motorcycle. I promise you that. Now LETS RIDE !  :)

Thanks for your input.  As far as the grip being too firm?  I use my gocruse throttle lock and just relax my hand on the handgrip with hand spread open and fingers resting on brake lever and it goes numb. Same with the left hand.  I have caught myself at times resting my upper body weight on my arms and hands and then I situp and put my left hand in my lap but still, hand goes numb.

I wish there was a way I could capture a video or something of this buzz to give you a rough order of magnitude how bad it is.

The comparison to one or more other C14s, in my opinion, is important.  Surely there must be someone who'd swap bikes for a few miles so you can see if it's evident in both bikes or just yours.  That would be an important test.  If it's just your bike, then the dealer ought to stand by you and see that it's fixed.  You also have nothing to lose by following Fred Harmon's suggestions, both of them.  Good luck.

I personally consider my C14 really smooth.  I consider my R1150RT buzzy, probably a German conspiracy.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
If you will give me all your contact info, and the dealership location where you took your bike, I can contact Kawasaki Corporate on your behalf. I can't guarantee it will do any good, but I'm willing to try.

Some bikes are more prone to vibrations than others, and it's hard to say if yours is normal or not without riding it and comparing it to another one. Most of the time the thing that fixes bikes that have vibrations is to loosen and retorque all the engine mounts, including the rear one. Sometimes a throttle body sync will also help.

But my first guess would be that you have an improperly adjusted engine mount bolt somewhere, and that is probably where I would start it if were my bike.

Thank you.  I guess I need a tech manual so I can figure out how to torque the stuff myself.

I sent you a PM with my info.

Thanks for the support.

Fred.

I feel your frustration. I experienced the vibration with a diffent bike some time ago and was told that it might be poor fuel or a faulty spark plug. The vibration vanished a little while later all on it's own. The fact that the dealer doesn't think it's right and sent a complaint suggests to me that he is on your side. Stay with the bike and put the challenge to your dealer's service department. Your dealer just might send the "it's abnormal" letter. My 2011 seems pretty smooth and it's stock except fot the Cee Bailey screen.

ACR_SCOUT said:
Trouble said:

All fun aside , My first ride on a C14 was at Daytona. I noticed vibration in that bike at certain RPM'S . When I drove out of the dealership it wasn't far before I felt vibration the same way in my bike, also when I hugged the bike with my legs and YES it did bother me. I have three friends that have a C14 and they all said the same thing. it vibrates a little . When I first got on this forum, that was pretty much my first thing to address. I talked to other sport bike riders and they said their bike vibrated to some degree or the other. If you will watch this video you will hear the guy say the C14 vibrated more than the BMW . I would be VERY interested to hear the results of your dilemma . But im afraid this is just going to be characteristic of the C14 .

2012 BMW K1600GT vs. 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS

I'd consider Freds advice, one day I noticed a buzz on my bike, more than normal and it felt like something was wrong. I spoke to the dealer and he noticed but couldn't put a finger on it. We chatted and he asked if I removed the tank, I said yes to install a Starcom1. Then he ask if I torqued the bolts correctly.....it turned out that I overtightened the bolts for the tank, which made the rubber mounts useless. After correcting that the buzz went away.

I also agree with others in that you throwing a leg around a 1.4 ltr engine, I'd expect some vibration. But it certainly shouldn't cause great discomfort.

I wish you the best in resolving this.

I visited the other local Kawasaki place and the saga continues. I think they are playing unfair but I will get to this in a minute.

They have a 2008 and two 2010 Connies out there.  I explained to the sales person my issues and we went right out and started them up. Let them warm up a bit and ran them up to 4,000 rpm.  Although not glass smooth, there is a definite difference.  I did not have my bike there as a comparison (weather).  I then went to service and explained the whole story.  They are willing to trouble shoot.  And now the unfair part.  He set me up with a Goldwing Demo Ride while they have an initial look and ride on my bike. I am still wondering if I should take the ride.  But any way, at least they are willing to look at my bike and give it try.

Fred

ACR_SCOUT said:
And now the unfair part.  He set me up with a Goldwing Demo Ride while they have an initial look and ride on my bike. I am still wondering if I should take the ride.  But any way, at least they are willing to look at my bike and give it try.

Fred

Don't ride it unless you are ready to buy it.

I have to do the eye roll when people compare the C14 to the BMW 1600. 

"It's a better motorcycle".

Well, no sheeeit.  It costs nearly $10K MORE...it BETTER damn well be a better motorcycle for that much cash.  Just assinine.

just kruse'n said:
ACR_SCOUT said:
And now the unfair part.  He set me up with a Goldwing Demo Ride while they have an initial look and ride on my bike. I am still wondering if I should take the ride.  But any way, at least they are willing to look at my bike and give it try.

Fred

Man that is what everyone says.  In my mind I just cannot see it being as much fun an nimble as the C14. Especially if they can find what is causing the buzz and fix it.

just kruse'n said:
ACR_SCOUT said:

Fred

Where exactly do you live ? Perhaps someone on the forum could meet you and check it out. What dealer wanted to set you up with a goldwing dimo ?

I took the bike in this morning and got to do a side-by-side comparison with 4 other bikes.  All the bikes have a "buzz" starting at 3500 rpm. My bike's buzz is noticeably different but not outside alarmingly different.  However they are going to retorque the motor mounts.

I took the Gold Wing for a ride.  It was so easy to ride it wasn't fun. The heated seat is definately nice.  Everyone was cautioning me not to ride if I didn't want to buy. I was not that impressed. Although it was the only bike i've ridden that didn't bother my hands and elbows.

More to follow.

Have they changed something on the newer C14's that might be causing this, or is it different year C14's you test rode. Mine had a little vibration. But nothing I found to be a problem to me.
I actually like the wing. It's definitely not as sporty as the C14. But maybe that might be a good thing to keep me more within the laws!  :))  I do think about going to a wing down the road. Maybe as a second bike. Maybe as the main or even only bike. I do find myself traveling to rallies and other trips more and more. So it may make sense down the road.

ACR_SCOUT said:
I took the bike in this morning and got to do a side-by-side comparison with 4 other bikes.  All the bikes have a "buzz" starting at 3500 rpm. My bike's buzz is noticeably different but not outside alarmingly different.  However they are going to retorque the motor mounts.

I took the Gold Wing for a ride.  It was so easy to ride it wasn't fun. The heated seat is definately nice.  Everyone was cautioning me not to ride if I didn't want to buy. I was not that impressed. Although it was the only bike i've ridden that didn't bother my hands and elbows.

More to follow.

What dealer let you let you take the goldwing for a ride ?

Trouble said:
ACR_SCOUT said:

More to follow.

The Honda dealer near me, let me take a wing out for a test ride. Although I had to ride with one of the salesmen. So I really didn't get to fully check it out. But I did get a short ride of about 5-10 miles. So it wasn't too bad. But the bike does ride and handle very well for a big bike. And better than the older wings, which weren't no slouches either.

Trouble said:
ACR_SCOUT said:

More to follow.

Manassas, VA.  I got 40 minutes on it.  Got to experience it on the highway, in traffic, took it to a parking lot, and then a neighborhood.  I touched all the buttons.  Cruise control was nice but interesting.  Like I said, the heated seat was pretty nice.  We are having very strong gusty winds today and the Wing was much more stable than the Connie. I did feel like the handlebars were back in my chest.  It was amazing how well you could hear the radio even at a low volume.  All you got to do is think about the turn and it rolls right in and holds the line.  The Connie seems to have some weight to the handlebars and wants to drift out on the turn.  I hear changing the rear tire to a 55 vs a 50 changes the roll in and roll out characteristics. I just don't know; it just did not impress me or didn't match all the hype everyone makes about it.

However, back on topic here.  I seriously think if they cannot get rid of the buzz or reduce it enough that the connie is good on the long hauls, I think I am going to sell and get out of motorcycle riding.

Im new to this forum, yet have been riding all my life. The one thing I know more than anything about motorcycles is this, you need to be in love with your bike or it will make you miserable . The connie is not for everyone. Personally, it's perfect for me. I would think the goldwing would be the fit for you. It's an amazing machine. Honda has went out of it's way to perfect the bike in many ways just as Kawasaki has with the Concours 14. Yet their two different creatures. I doubt you will give up motorcycling , you just need to take the time to choose the bike that's right for YOU. There's not one of us on this forum that haven't went what your going through right now. I went through mine with my Harley. I ended up spending $30K trying to make myself happy on that bike. It never happen. Every bike has their quirks. With a little time and the right farkles the connie can become VERY comfortable . Best of luck with your quest. Let us know what you do .

Thank you for your vote of confidence and morale support.  The trouble is if I were to try to purchase again it would be the third time in less than two years.  I think my wife would string me up.  This is not to mention the money I stand to loose on the Connie.
:'(

Well then, my advice to you would be this. You bought the connie for a reason. So ok it has a buz. Most sport bikes do. At certian RPM the connie does.  1. give it to the shop and let them tweak it. Then when you get it back, except it for what it is. 2. Handlebar risers. They make all kinds encluding new handlebars. Try grip puppies and the heavy weights on the handlebar ends. 3. A new seat will help your seating position and take some of the weight off your hands. In most cases theres to much hand weight and it puts your hands to sleep. I doube the little bit of buzz you feel is the culprate . Little tweaks here and there can make a bike feel great. Even the BMW has a little buzz to it. To be honest, I dont know of one that don't in my experience. Best of luck to ya.

Trouble said:
Well then, my advice to you would be this. You bought the connie for a reason. So ok it has a buz. Most sport bikes do. At certian RPM the connie does.  1. give it to the shop and let them tweak it. Then when you get it back, except it for what it is. 2. Handlebar risers. They make all kinds encluding new handlebars. Try grip puppies and the heavy weights on the handlebar ends. 3. A new seat will help your seating position and take some of the weight off your hands. In most cases theres to much hand weight and it puts your hands to sleep. I doube the little bit of buzz you feel is the culprate . Little tweaks here and there can make a bike feel great. Even the BMW has a little buzz to it. To be honest, I dont know of one that don't in my experience. Best of luck to ya.

Thank you very much.  I really appreciate your input.  I did have the risers on there but took them off and sent them back.  I did not like the way it made the bike feel in the corners.  I currently have the heaviest weights I could find. I use the GoCruise throttle holder to relax my hands. I was thinking of the Corbin seat in the past because it come heated and seems to have a little bit of a back rest for the driver. 

What about a piece of thick rubber under the mounting points for the handle bars?

I came from parallel twin with a 180 deg. crankshaft (a Ninja 500r and a 650r).  My C14 is like butter in comparison even with a little bit of buzz... I can actually see whats behind me in focus!

The dealer may also know of some "fixes" to get rid of the buzz too.  My dealer cleared up the buzz in my 650r's dash that was driving me insane, they charged me for a half hour of labor to fix it...

The rubber may be one option, it has been done to quell the vibration on other bikes...

I am looking at the Helibars.  I'd hate to spend that kind of money to be back where I am.  I nice set of handle bars and still have the buzz.

I had the same issue with the C50T which led me to the Connie.

I got friends I ride with. I notice grip puppies on pretty much every bike. Another fiend of mine bought a ST1100 and told me the buz was so bad he was thinking on getting red of it till he got grip puppies and risers. The three C14 riders I know all have delt with the buzz also. I have it in my bike. The demo I rode in Daytona had it. I guess engines are going to emmit vibration in one form or another. Handlebar vibration is nothing new. Getting used to the handling of your motorcycle will come when you get the buz problem worked out. Im guessing your putting to much pressure on your handlebars. But maby not. Heres what I do know. I sold my Harley because of vibration. You spoke of the same with your last motorcycle. The first thing I noticed about my C14 was the slight vibration. GUESS WHY ! So its a sore subject for the both of us. One has to put it into prespective I guess.  I think my handlebar risers and new seat will do the trick. The buzz really don't bother me to that degree. The weight I put on my Handlebars does. Perhaps your sensatised to vibration issues like me.
I can tell you this, Im 6ft2 200 lbs and the freakin seat pushes me to the handlebars. it sucks. It makes me put to much weight on my hands, thus feeling everything that comes through the bars. You speak of the new handlebars. Helibars. there's no way I would pay that amount till I felt it for myself first hand. You know what I mean ?

Trouble said:
I got friends I ride with. I notice grip puppies on pretty much every bike. Another fiend of mine bought a ST1100 and told me the buz was so bad he was thinking on getting red of it till he got grip puppies and risers. The three C14 riders I know all have delt with the buzz also. I have it in my bike. The demo I rode in Daytona had it. I guess engines are going to emmit vibration in one form or another. Handlebar vibration is nothing new. Getting used to the handling of your motorcycle will come when you get the buz problem worked out. Im guessing your putting to much pressure on your handlebars. But maby not. Heres what I do know. I sold my Harley because of vibration. You spoke of the same with your last motorcycle. The first thing I noticed about my C14 was the slight vibration. GUESS WHY ! So its a sore subject for the both of us. One has to put it into prespective I guess.  I think my handlebar risers and new seat will do the trick. The buzz really don't bother me to that degree. The weight I put on my Handlebars does. Perhaps your sensatised to vibration issues like me.
I can tell you this, Im 6ft2 200 lbs and the freakin seat pushes me to the handlebars. it sucks. It makes me put to much weight on my hands, thus feeling everything that comes through the bars. You speak of the new handlebars. Helibars. there's no way I would pay that amount till I felt it for myself first hand. You know what I mean ?

I'm hearing (reading) you. I'm picking up what you are putting down. And I certainly appreciate it.  Grip Puppies are not too expensive to tryout.

While I can understand the frustration and aganst at not being confortable...I really don't understand why you'd give up riding. Sure it can't be that bad. I rode a Harley recently and the mirrors were useless, just a blur, but it was ok to ride.

I don't have a solution to your issue, but I hope you don't give up.

As far as giving up riding.....

I really don't want to give up riding but if it is not comfortable it is not fun and thereby no reason to continue with this bike.  There in lies the issues; I don't have enough heart to tell my wife that I need to change bikes again.  So how much money do I throw at this problem before it is pointless? 

Then there is the question, if I got another bike what problems will it bring?

I really appreciate everyone's input on this and motivation to continue.  I am thinking through my options.

Thank you,
Fred

ACR_SCOUT said:
As far as giving up riding.....

I really don't want to give up riding but if it is not comfortable it is not fun and thereby no reason to continue with this bike.  There in lies the issues; I don't have enough heart to tell my wife that I need to change bikes again.  So how much money do I throw at this problem before it is pointless? 

Then there is the question, if I got another bike what problems will it bring?

I really appreciate everyone's input on this and motivation to continue.  I am thinking through my options.

Thank you,
Fred

Fred, Every bike has it's problems. I don't know of one bike ive owned where I didn't have to fit myself to it or resolve one problem or the other. The C14 is no exception. Heres one for you to think about. The well known BMW, well if it goes down it usually cost big $$$ to have it repaired if you can even find a dealer and it has it's own set of problems also. The wonderful goldwing you speak of, well because of it only having five gears it eats fuel over 70 mph and wait till you have to pay to get the air filter changed. It also had frame cracking issues. The Harley ? Well I could write a book on it';s problems . So, to be honest, the C14 has fewer problems than most. Your vibration problem is not that hard to fix. Your just sensitised to vivbration like me. How tall are you ? How much do you weigh ? And as far as how much money do you spend on your motorcycle ? Well, first off, Im guessing you purchased the motorcycle well below list price so your in good shape there. Most will spend an average of $3K easy. Im going to give you a link these guys have come up with going through the same process as yourself. it will help you. 

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,27354.0.html

Ok.

The shop called me today and said they did some more comparison.  They have determined that the bar end weights are making the vibrations more pronounced.  I have after market weight on there.  They removed them and put them on another bike and the exaggerated vibrations moved to the other bike.  Sounds strange to me.

I think I am just going to go pick it up, bring it home, and just look at it until I can make up my mind what I want to do.

Not strange at all. The vibration has to go somewhere and you didn't tell us you switched out the weights. there put there for a reason. Look into some aftermarket heavy weights and you will be amazed at the difference. I think the point is here not that they have weights on the ends, rather that the right weight will resolve your vibration problem . Welcome to sport touring ......

I do have the heaviest weights I could on there.  They took them off my bike and moved them to a different bike. When they did they say the vibration moved to that other bike.

Trouble said:
The vibration has to go somewhere and you didn't tell us you switched out the weights. there put there for a reason.

He didn't tell us he had one of Phil's Racks on it either, but know how I can tell he does? It's listed in his signature line on every post! ;)

Scott

You guys sure talk a lot about buzz problems on this forum. I am glad I didn't run out and buy the connie without hanging out here first.
Nobody ever talks about buzz problems on the BMW forum, and before you start calling me a troll, I am just stating fact. The only thing they do is raise their bars because they have back problems and need to sit up straighter. Not to cure a vibration problem. My BMW is getting old and I am still considering the connie but for now I will continue to hang out here and listen.

[size=12pt]I get the hand numbness as well.  It just seems to be part of the Connie's personality.  I figure a stop every 45 min to an hour is a good opportunity to have a smoke and a cold drink, and/or enjoy the scenery.  I do use the heal of my hand to hold the throttle while on a long run.  I come of  a Cadillac Yamaha Venture, which was sooo comfortable.  Now where near the handling of this beast though.  Love this Bike!    :beerchug:

siclmn said:
You guys sure talk a lot about buzz problems on this forum. I am glad I didn't run out and buy the connie without hanging out here first.
Nobody ever talks about buzz problems on the BMW forum, and before you start calling me a troll, I am just stating fact. The only thing they do is raise their bars because they have back problems and need to sit up straighter. Not to cure a vibration problem. My BMW is getting old and I am still considering the connie but for now I will continue to hang out here and listen.

And your point is? I had a 2004 1150 RT and wasn't impressed with the "smoothness" of the bike, let alone the complete lack of balls when I needed to run hard.

These bikes do have their quirks, but let's face it, most of them are paid for. Not the case for the average Motorrad rider.

daddykevin said:
siclmn said:

And your point is? I had a 2004 1150 RT and wasn't impressed with the "smoothness" of the bike, let alone the complete lack of balls when I needed to run hard.

These bikes do have their quirks, but let's face it, most of them are paid for. Not the case for the average Motorrad rider.

AMEN ! I've spent my time before in a cult motorcycle following with Harley. I refuse to start it again with BMW . I flat out Love my C14. Sure she has a few quirks, but that's what makes her so special . If you don't like our Connies, go spend doubble the price. But when we blow by you, remember we payed half the price and notice the grin on our faces.  The C14 is PERFECT for me !

Trouble, I completely agree. I had several Harley's prior to getting the RT. I NEVER rode my Harley just for the sheer enjoyment of riding, like I do the Connie. Unless, that is, I had someone with a truck and trailer following me for when it would quit running.

Those who ride for the "looks" that they get while on the bike will always be interested in form over function, sound over performance, appearance over value. That's not to say that the BMW or Harley crowds don't love their bikes, they just do so in a different manner than I, or most of us here, do.

By the way, I love my C-10. My first foray into the world of the Connie. I will likely upgrade to the C-14 at some point, primarily for the ABS and EFI.

Love the bike, love the forum!

daddykevin said:
Trouble, I completely agree. I had several Harley's prior to getting the RT. I NEVER rode my Harley just for the sheer enjoyment of riding, like I do the Connie. Unless, that is, I had someone with a truck and trailer following me for when it would quit running.

Those who ride for the "looks" that they get while on the bike will always be interested in form over function, sound over performance, appearance over value. That's not to say that the BMW or Harley crowds don't love their bikes, they just do so in a different manner than I, or most of us here, do.

By the way, I love my C-10. My first foray into the world of the Connie. I will likely upgrade to the C-14 at some point, primarily for the ABS and EFI.

Love the bike, love the forum!

Well Said !

Well as patient and accommodating everyone has been I have one more thing. I have come to the conclusion the only perfect scenario is to have both a Connie and a Gold Wing.  The trouble is, I am not rich.  I decided the Gold Wing will be the lesser of the two evils. I left my Connie at the dealer and came home with a Gold Wing.  I don't think it will be as much fun to ride but it will be more comfortable and my wife is much more likely to come along on the Gold Wing.  I think the latter comment was more of the deciding factor.

With that.  I have the stock bar ends, the stock windscreen, the stock rack if anyone would like to PM me we can work a deal.

Thanks again, it was certainly a fun 8 months.

Hey, they GW is a great bike. Not quite as sporty. But it will get up and go and handle pretty good to boot. I don't think the negatives of having the GW will out weigh the positives. Both bikes really have a lot of positives.

I certainly understand the logic behind your decision. I too, have considered the benefits of having a larger, more "luxo" bike so that my wife would participate.

As you stated, there is no "one" best bike. Like I tell my daughters, as well as the thousands of High School students that I counsel, "life is about 2 things... compromise and balance."

I'm glad that you're moving to the "compromise" for you. What matters in the end, is that you're still riding.

Best to you!

ACR_SCOUT said:
Well as patient and accommodating everyone has been I have one more thing. I have come to the conclusion the only perfect scenario is to have both a Connie and a Gold Wing.  The trouble is, I am not rich.  I decided the Gold Wing will be the lesser of the two evils. I left my Connie at the dealer and came home with a Gold Wing.  I don't think it will be as much fun to ride but it will be more comfortable and my wife is much more likely to come along on the Gold Wing.  I think the latter comment was more of the deciding factor.

With that.  I have the stock bar ends, the stock windscreen, the stock rack if anyone would like to PM me we can work a deal.

HEY ! Lets see some pics . . . .

Trouble said:
ACR_SCOUT said:

HEY ! Lets see some pics . . . .

Ok but they are in my junked up garage (KIDS!), another spring thing to do.  Third ride on it, I got caught in the rain.

The picture has a blur in it, no the bike is not already messed up, just my daughter running thru the picture.  Funny thing, now she wants to ride.  She wouldn't even get close to the Connie, said something about it being scary.

Attachments

• IMG_20111119_144351.jpg
    IMG_20111119_144351.jpg
    803.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20111119_144339.jpg
    IMG_20111119_144339.jpg
    874.6 KB · Views: 69
I came from a 2005 Gold Wing to the C14.  I certainly respect your decision because I really liked the Gold Wing and like you, I would like to own both but am not well off enough to afford that.  I made the opposite choice as you and went with the Connie because I like the sportier handling although the Wing was no slouch for such a big bike. A think a lot of Connie drivers would be surprised at how fast and good handling a newer
Wing is.  That said, I really enjoy the C14 (2010) and hope to someday have a Goldwing too. 

ACR_SCOUT said:
I am looking at the Helibars.  I'd hate to spend that kind of money to be back where I am.  I nice set of handle bars and still have the buzz.

I had the same issue with the C50T which led me to the Connie.

Another option is the LSL setup.  Infinitely adjustable like the HeliBar (except you need to buy new bars for big changes) and the initial price is cheaper.  You can find them here. 

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=387

Good luck either way.