• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Which Klim or maybe a Darien?

joer53

After getting rained on a few times last week while wearing my old leather jacket, I'm thinking it may be time for a new waterproof riding jacket. I've had a couple of Aerostich Darien jackets in the past that I just couldn't seem to get comfortable in. I was thinking maybe a Klim jacket, when I started looking at them online, there seems to be a wide variety of models and prices, up to over $1000. I'd appreciate some guidance on which model is water proof and reasonably priced. I'd also appreciate comments on other brands.

My wife’s new First Gear Kilimanjaro is outstanding, has a waterproof construction and more bells and whistles for individual fit given type of riding or weather.

I also recently purchased a Sedici Avventura - this is a nice jacket, taken a bit to get accustomed to all the zip in/ zip out features but have found it useful. Kilimanjaro is superior but the Avventura is nothing to scoff at either.

Previously Tourmaster has treated me great, none in stock when I was purchasing - wish there was though...

Wayne

I have the Klim latitude jacket and pants, they keep me dry.
When temps get above 80 they can be little warm. Lots of vents on the jacket that help some, I have a Klim vented jacket for when it warms up and carry a rainsuit.

Doug M.

My Darien Jacket was purchased in 1998 and is almost ready to retire. It kept me dry and protected for many, many miles. I feel the return on investment of a quality waterproof jacket is pretty good.

I have the Klim latitude jacket and pants, they keep me dry.
When temps get above 80 they can be little warm. Lots of vents on the jacket that help some, I have a Klim vented jacket for when it warms up and carry a rainsuit.

Doug M.
I also have a Klim induction jacket. I want to wash it but I can’t get the pad out of the back , my zipper is stuck!🤬

Here's a different approach.

My Olympia Dakar jacket is a mesh jacket. The outer shell is obviously not waterproof. However, what they did was to include a water/wind-proof jacket with it. That liner provides the waterproofness. There's nothing magical about that liner. A nice feature of the liner is it can be worn by itself off the bike and it still looks great.

Now take that same concept to your current jacket that is losing its waterproofness. Go to your local sporting goods store and buy a waterproof golf windbreaker. The "golf" style would be short enough to not hang below your riding jacket, yet give you the waterproof capability you want. And if you want Gore-Tex, you can buy that too. It'll cost you a fraction of what a Klim or Darien jacket will cost.

Chris

Jus in case you are not above wearing used gear , I have seen many Klim and Darian jackets for sale on Facebook market place , I have been looking for a aerostitch for a while and can’t find one in my size , so I bought another Olympia Phantom today.

Jus in case you are not above wearing used gear , I have seen many Klim and Darian jackets for sale on Facebook market place , I have been looking for a aerostitch for a while and can’t find one in my size , so I bought another Olympia Phantom today.
True, I was fortunate enough to purchase a Darien jacket (worn 5 times) and pants( worn 2 times) my exact size on ebay for $356 shipped. Golden...still can't believe it. Lol

True, I was fortunate enough to purchase a Darien jacket (worn 5 times) and pants( worn 2 times) my exact size on ebay for $356 shipped. Golden...still can't believe it. Lol
The Phantom I bought today still has tags on it. I bought two of them and sold them, but for the price I could t pass it up, and I’ll get to be twins with Troy Archer 😂😂