• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Which tires to buy, Angel ST or PR3

timbo

Moped
I'm getting ready to get rid of my stock tires and replace with either the angel st or the pr3. I don't ride in rain and don't have a lot of curves in my area. So which would be the better tire for me. I do want it to stick in what curves I do have and don't like the flat spot in the center like the stock tires have. So which would be the better choice? Has anyone had both and have an opinion on them?

You can't go wrong with either choice. They are both great tires. I just put a set of Angels on and love them. They are about $30-$50 less than the PR3's depending on where you go. :)

Both are very good tires. Look at it this way. What are more your preferences. If you want great handling and confidence inspiring tires, that are good in the rain and wear well. Then the Pirelli Angel ST would be my choice. (My favorite handling tire for the bike)    But if you want very good handling, with not quite as much confidence inspiring. But probably will wear a little better and are the best tires I've used in the rain. Then the PR3's would be my choice.
  It comes down to whats more important. My favorite tires are the Angels. But the PR3's are very good, and wear a little better. But the PR3's probably will cost more that the Angels. If you ride a lot in the rain, get the PR3's. If you want great handling, get the Angels. Unless your a person who wants the highest mileage they can get out of a tire. Then get the PR3.
  But if mileage isn't the most important and you don't ride much in the rain. Well then  you'll probably get a little less miles out of a set of Angels, but really enjoy what your bike can do. They are awesome. Like I said though, they're both great tires. If your not confused now, you should be able to make up your mind.  :)  :motonoises:

I'm love Michelin tires on cagers - I run super sports on my CL65, but for bikes?  IMHO... The Angels.  As stated before, they will not wear as long as the Michelins, but they will grip like it's nobody's business when the roads are dry.

If you ride a lot of straight line, which one will develop the flat spot in the center? Or will either one?

I would personally go with the PR3!  I had a set of Angels and hated them.  They slide around almost as much as the stock Bridgestones.  Also there entail turn in required a lot of effort compared to the PR3.  As for wear I got only 4,500 miles out of the Angels with aggressive riding.  I have only about 1,000 miles on my first set of PR3 so I can not say how they will hold up, but I was able to squeak out 10,000 miles out of a set of PR2's that I used to ride to Alaska from Pennsylvania.  So they did not get the same aggressive riding that I did with Angels, but the Canadians use 1/4 inch gravel for the chip seal material and the PR2 held up extremely well against the abrasive road and long stints on the super slab.  That is my two cents.

If you need (want) more tread in the center, get the rear in 190/55-17.

Oh .... my vote is for the PR3's

Is the only difference between the pR2 and the PR3 the rain sipes? So do they both handle the same on dry pavement?

I cannot comment on the Angel's but coming from Metzler's the PR3's are like owning a totally different bike and it was great before.

The sipes on the PR3 seem to help w/ a more compliant (softer) ride even when pumped up to max (42-44) pressure. I like the immediate 'stick' for colder weather also.

Overall, the PR3 might cost a little more, give up very little in stick, and last a little longer (especially down the center of the tread) due to dual compound rubber.

I vote PR3 +1  (unless you are canyon racing). YMMV

I think I like the profile, and resultant turn in characteristics, of the Angels a little better than the Michelins. But the Michelins seem to last quite a bit longer (by several thousand miles). Grip on both seems to be very close.

Timbo said:
Is the only difference between the pR2 and the PR3 the rain sipes? So do they both handle the same on dry pavement?

Not in my experince. You couldn't pay me to put PR2's back on my bike. But I have PR3's on it now and would again. Although I think the Angels handle better than the PR3's. But the PR3's seemed to last a little longer. By thousands? I don't know. I guess it depends on each person.

I had PR3s put on when I purchased my 2012. I have no idea how I will or will not like them but lots of chances to find out coming this summer.

The PR2s on my ZX14 provided excellant performance and handling, especially when leaned over in tight corners under acceleration. And they were flawless in the rain. When I traded that ZX14 in the PR2s had plenty of tread left on them, and no sign of cupping, despite being on with many rides including the one to Mt. Snow VT with full Givi luggage (loaded) and despite being flogged in the corners hard.

So if my PR3s are better, I should be very happy!

Last year I used Pirelli Angel ST tires exclusively on my 2010 Concours 14 for my cross-country tour from Florida to the Pacific Coast and consistently got only around 6K miles on the rear and 10K miles on the front. After returning home, I switched to the Michellin Pilot Road 3 and have been positively impressed by the handling and somewhat better longevity. Just prior to a recent tour to northern Georgia in mid-April, I replaced the first rear tire after around 8,300 and the first front tire after 10,300 miles of mostly flat straight riding here in Florida and mostly without the extra weight of my camping equipment and touring baggage. Although both tires still had some remaining tread, I didn't want to push them another 3K miles, particularly in the Appalachian twisties.  In the tight turns there, the new PR3s really gripped the road superbly and gave me more confidence than I had felt with the Angels. I didn't have occasion to ride the twisties in heavy rain, but did encounter some wet pavement from earlier showers and felt just as confident as on dry pavement. On the trip north from Florida, I encountered some very heavy rain on I-75 near Lake City for about 10 minutes, but noticed no aquaplaning or other issues on the wet road. When it comes time to replace the tires, the PR3s will doubtless be my first choice, unless the PR4s happen to be on the market by then.

From a PM, I received this question:
On either tire, did they get a flat spot in the middle from just slab riding a lot like the stock tires are doing on my bike? Thanks!!
Yes, they both did get flat spots, particularly on the rear tires, although different.

The PR3's flat spot was in the center where the rubber is more durable than on the sides and thus still looked rather thick although there was only a slight tread depth left. The sides still had plenty of tread depth. Presumably I could have ridden that rear tire for some distance yet.

In the case of the Angel ST rear tire, the flat spot wore right down to the steel belts without much warning. One day the tread depth looked pretty good and the next the belts started showing through the rubber. On more than one occasion during my trip, I had to ride some distance to a shop for a replacement tire, once about 80 miles. Although I was nervous, the tire held up well enough and the road was dry.

Don

I've just put a new set of PR3's on and it's like riding on two Cinnabuns, sticky as it gets.  In fact, I started out thinking they were under pressured but I had them both at 43 psi.  It has taken 250 miles to get used to them and now they are a very confident pair.  Turn in requires a bit of work, but they hold the corner until commanded to do otherwise.  In the wet, forgetaboutit, stick is an understatement.  Very confident, in fact getting ready to head home in a storm, no probs.  I like them.

SB

1st time on the forum as a reply. I live in NW Arkansas and ride very aggressively, I usually ride with a Ducati Diavel, VFR and other assorted sport bikes. I purchased my 2008 Connie in November and hated the stock tires. Luckily both tire pressure monitor batteries were low so I did not have to pay for tire mounting. (Kawasaki covered the TPMS under warranty) After much reading I went with The Angel's.
3400 miles later my dang rear is almost to the belt's. :mad: Not very happy as my tire pressure is always checked before each ride with a gauge (not trusting the dash reading) Keeping rear at 43-44psi.
Tire is very even wearing as sides are worn also. I guess I thought I was getting a longer lasting tire then this. I may as well go with a sticker tire with that bad of wear!
Now I have no idea where to go, but I will not get another Angel.  Aughhhhhhhhh

I will say that the Angels don't last nearly as long as the PR2/PR3.  I got less than 3,000 miles out of my last Angel, the last 400 miles the tire went from at least 50% tread to cords showing.  I was running hard on the twisties in Arkansas, so I wasn't taking it easy by any means.  I will say that I have PR2's and PR3's down in Arkanasas before and they handled the abuse use much better.

Jeremy said:
I will say that the Angels don't last nearly as long as the PR2/PR3.  I got less than 3,000 miles out of my last Angel, the last 400 miles the tire went from at least 50% tread to cords showing.  I was running hard on the twisties in Arkansas, so I wasn't taking it easy by any means.  I will say that I have PR2's and PR3's down in Arkanasas before and they handled the abuse use much better.

I did put a Pilot Power 2CT on yesterday just so I could ride this weekend.  So far feels good as I already have over 300 miles on the new tire.(240 after work last night! My front Angel still looks good but I am starting to see early signs of cupping!
I am going to order a set of P3's to put on when these are toast> The way things are going I will prob have my tires on the bike now replaced around the time the Rally in Eureka is here next month!
I just need to realize that with all the twisty turns and speeds thins are going to wear faster!

Ran a set of PR2s on my ZRX 1200 for over 9,000 miles.  They looked like they could have gone another 1,000 or so.  Put on a set of Dunlop Q2s and proceeded to pick up a nail in the Louisville area on the way to a Rally in TN.  Had a local bike shop put on a set of PR3s.  Ran with some aggressive riders who were wearing Michelin's Power Pures and 2CTs.  I stuck as well on the road as they did.  On the way home on a KY parkway I hit rain so hard that even all cages and trucks were pulling over.  I continued on with no hint of hydroplaning.  I did stop at an overpass just to take a short break.  2 - 3 inches of water running over my boots.  I must say the PR3s are the choice for touring dry or wet.  I never look forward to riding in the rain but if you do any amount of serious multi day touring it is inevitable.  I have over 4,000 miles on that set of PR3s with no signs of flat spotting or excessive wear.  If it was not for the rear being a 180 and slightly higher profile(55), I would swap them out and put them on my C-14.  No personal experience with Pirelli.  The PR2 tires are very good and a competent enough rain tire.  My stock Bridgestone BT-021 are definitely flat spotted on the rear and cupping slightly in front with between 4,500 and 5,000 miles.