• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

While we're at the 2018 National; "Nimitz Museum"

I wasn't part of the group so I didn't get the $8.00 rate.  I paid the full $15 and felt it was worth it even at twice that.  Every exhibit was well done, perfectly laid out, and very educational.  The PT boat was almost an otherworldly experience.  To be able to see one of only two surviving PT boats left in the world with combat experience...well, I was numb.  I consider myself a WWII buff and I learned so much that on the way out I stopped and gave a donation.  This place is a gem; too bad it's located where it is.  It deserves a bigger audience.   

Whether they be military or civilian, we can never repay those who lived and died during this sad period. 

The Greatest Generation indeed... 

I thought so, Ted. Thanks for setting this up for us. It was actually, almost too big. There was lots more to see and not a lot of places to sit down and rest. I could have spent a couple more hours there. I just finished reading the book I bought at the museum's gift shop. "The Ship That Wouldn't Die". A true story about an oiler, the USS Neosho, that was mistaken for a flat top and bombed in the battle of the Coral Sea. Then drifted four four days before the survivors were rescued.  A truly amazing story of survival.

Ted, it was so totally worth it.  I would spend days in there just reading everything and listening to the recordings.  I had to use extreme self-control and not buy all the books I wanted.  They did have one book that I already have and highly recommend.  It's called "Ghost Soldiers".  An excellent book about POW's being rescued.  That's all I'm going to say about it.  Thanks Ted for setting this up.  I loved it!

Irene

I'll glom on and repeat what's already been said. I really enjoyed this outing and could have spent much more time in there than I did. Worth it at full price, a great value at our group rate. Thanks for setting this up and working out all the details with the museum, Ted.

Lunch at Cooper's afterwards was also an experience I'm glad I didn't miss.

The only problem I have with Coopers is I always leave there so stuffed, I have a hard time getting back on the bike.  :great: :great:

Steve

The Museum was well worth the price. I would have gladly paid the full admission price to be there.

I had two tickets from Coggers who were there the day before. Since they were good for 48 hours, I gave them to Ralf and Andre so they could save a few bucks. I was happy to pay the eight bucks. Can't wait to go back again and spend more time. There's a lot to cover.

Ted, thanks for setting up the tour. It was great, even with your flat tire. I hope I remember to order less food on the next trip to Cooper's.That was great, but I was over served. Who made me take those big slices of meat? Damn good, though. Too bad it's 1250 miles from home. Guess I need another trip to Texas.

Yes, worth it and more.
We should never forget.

Attachments

• Flags.jpg
    Flags.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 108
  • sub.jpg
    sub.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 105
  • plane.jpg
    plane.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 106
Thanks all. Glad you enjoyed it!
I wasn't trying to get thanks for me. (even though I appreciate them)

I posted the question because I was wondering if all liked it.
  I've arranged groups for the Nimitz twice now.
  May be setting up tours for other groups in the future.

So, I'm looking for opinions on how to improve my arrangements.. {Even Harry's}  :rotflmao:

PS: On special weekend's they do Live Reenactment's. {Including Flamethrowers!}
      Really wish we had been able to see one of those...

Ride safe, Ted

Amazing, and overwhelming. Almost too much for a one day visit. Kept thinking that while all of this was happening in the pacific, we were fighting another war on the other big pond!
To bad most of this museum display is lost on today's youth.
Coopers killed my diet!

Sorry about that Bob.
I assume though, that it was a "good" way to ruin your diet!
When I'm in the area, I NEVER miss a chance to go by Coopers...

Ride safe, Ted

Hanging with Rob, Harry and Ed was way cool. Me and Harry swapped sea stories about wespacs and the evils of oolongapo. Even shared an apple in the spirit of Marine Corps and Navy camaraderie. Still trying to figure out how he touch's the ground on that 14.

I'm saving up for an operation.  :(

Attachments

• 0121 RR20160417 Inseam Fix.png
    0121 RR20160417 Inseam Fix.png
    187.4 KB · Views: 121
Old Man on a Connie said:
Hanging with Rob, Harry and Ed was way cool. Me and Harry swapped sea stories about wespacs and the evils of oolongapo. Even shared an apple in the spirit of Marine Corps and Navy camaraderie. Still trying to figure out how he touch's the ground on that 14.

Ohhh what an apple could get you in Olongapo LOL I am assuming there was a hidden meaning behind the Apple  :D

Also way cool for me to hang with you guys. Agreed, though, that I wondered about Harry and that bike. But I have an 11x17 Concourier cover shot that shows he hasn't dropped it (on the right side, that is). :)

Grant said:

Ohhh what an apple could get you in Olongapo LOL I am assuming there was a hidden meaning behind the Apple  :D
So's we are standing outside and I am munching this 4 lb apple I bought at the HEB. I get about halfway done with it and say "I know this may sound a bit weird but does anybody want the rest of this apple?" Harry sez "I'll take it. I don't see anything green or purple growing off of you and no open sores". I hope he's OK.  :)

Grant said:

So's we are standing outside and I am munching this 4 lb apple I bought at the HEB. I get about halfway done with it and say "I know this may sound a bit weird but does anybody want the rest of this apple?" Harry sez "I'll take it. I don't see anything green or purple growing off of you and no open sores". I hope he's OK.  :)

The apple was the least of my problems. I was run off the road on the way home. A cager wanted my spot and I had to make a drastic manuever. Lucky me I was able to safely keep upright. I don't see any sores on my face...yet.

Good news!
I hate to admit it, but I'm actually glad you didn't go down Harry.  :great:

{It would have been a shame to scratch up the bike}… :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Are the "OtP" Travelers {Ralf and Andre} back home?
          {I don't do Facebook}.

connie_rider said:
Good news!
I hate to admit it, but I'm actually glad you didn't go down Harry.  :great:

{It would have been a shame to scratch up the bike}… :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Are the "OtP" Travelers {Ralf and Andre} back home?
          {I don't do Facebook}.
Yes, Ted the travelers are both home now!! Had a great time riding with them and the time they spent at our home before and after the full ride!! Super people!  :great:  :beerchug: