• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Who is interested in taking an experienced rider course in Connecticut?

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
It's been several years since we've organized an ERC for COG members here in Connecticut and I am putting out feelers on who would be interested to participate next year.

In the past we made it a COG only course by getting 12 people to sign up.  We have an "in" here at the Waterbury and Torrington locations. The possible course choices are the MSF Experienced Rider Course (ERC) which we can do at either location or the MSF Advanced Rider Course (ARC-ST) which can only be done at Torrington.

There is a ERC on the Waterbury schedule for May 11,2013.  If we can get enough participants, it would be possible to limit this to COG members & friends only.

Bushwickklr said:
Would I have to be a CT resident?

I took a rider course in what might have been the Waterbury campus? I live in NY. So yes should should be able to without being a resident.

Note to add: I should probably take another one since it's been a few years.

For experienced courses, residency is not an issue.  The only possible concern coming from too far a distance out of state is arriving on time for the class.  ;D

The ERC in Waterbury typically runs on Saturday, 12PM - 6:30PM, all on-cycle.

The ARC-ST has a few hours of classroom in the morning 8AM. and all on-cycle in the afternoon until 6:30PM. Since there are no classrooms available in Torrington on the weekend, to get this course to fit within one day the classroom portion would be in Waterbury, and the on-cycle in Torrington in the afternoon. (normally the class portion is run on a weekday evening)

For logistical simplicity I am leaning toward the ERC since it is a shorted day and all on one campus. The date I have in mind is May 11, 2013.  If folks would prefer the ARC-ST, I will need to work with the school for possible dates.

Let's get feedback from those who would attend to know which course to pursue. We need to know if we will have 12 to fill a course and if the course will be open to the public or not.

I hope to have an official announcement in the December Northeast Area Newsletter. Look for details.

I would be interested Steve. Not sure about the experienced versus advanced. Never took a course would be good to get more insight. My insurance is due mid March and I beleive I can get a discount for taking a course.

Bob_C_CT said:
I would be interested Steve. Not sure about the experienced versus advanced. Never took a course would be good to get more insight. My insurance is due mid March and I beleive I can get a discount for taking a course.

IMHO the ERC is best for those who have never taken any formal rider education/training.  Yes, it is mandated in CT and most other states that insurance companies shall provide a discount to policy holders who successfully complete an approved rider education course.

Alrighty… There seems to be some interest in both the ERC and ARC-ST, and we will set up dates for both. Here is the info I can provide now and I will update when possible and put complete details in the December COG Northeast Area Newsletter.

The courses in Connecticut are reasonably priced, and from what I’ve been told less expensive than most of the surrounding states. Successful completion of an ERC gets the student a completion card that can be used to obtain an insurance discount. You will need to check with your insurance company if the ARC-ST qualifies as this course has no evaluation or completion card.

I called the motorcycle program coordinator at the college to determine the best plan of attack. To be sure the course expenses are covered the school will not offer dedicated course(s) to the club unless as a club we collectively submit enough paid registrations to fill the class. We did this in the past and it was a royal PITA to coordinate. It was suggested that we pick specific courses/dates, and then inform our members to register for those using the standard course registration process. We’ve selected dates for an ERC (May 11) and ARC-ST (June 15). 

The 2013 motorcycle course registration will open after Christmas. Keep watch for these schedules to be posted on the college web site: www.nv.edu/Motorcycle and then register. Be sure to register early as these courses will be open to the public and the early dates tend to fill quickly.

Here is some basic info on the 2 courses…

For both courses participants must present a valid motorcycle license (driver only), current motorcycle registration and insurance card. You must also use your own street legal motorcycle (no straight pipes) for the course. Bikes will be inspected. 

Experienced Rider Course (ERC)
May 11, 2013, 12PM-6:30PM.
This one-day course will help you improve braking, turning and evasive maneuvers and teach advanced “street strategies” for riding.  There is no classroom session and approx. 6.5 hours of on-cycle instruction. Fee: $85.00 for rider; $20 for passenger.

Advanced Rider Course (ARC-ST)
June 15, 8AM – 6:30PM
This one-day course is to provide rider development in the areas of risk management, decision making, riding strategies, and rider behavior choices. Exercises focus on more advance braking, turning, swerving, utilizing a performance oriented body position. There is a classroom session in the morning and on-cycle in the afternoon for a total of approx. 8.5 hours of instruction. Bikes will be inspected.  Fee: $50.00 for rider.

Steve, I'd be interested in either course or both . Just got a new '12 and haven't ridden in a while, and I've never had any formal training unless crashing dirt bikes counts. ;)

One more question. Where is the course given, as in at a track or just parking lot stuff??
                                                                                                                                            Jim

Happy New Years all.
Steve, what does the passenger get out of the ERC course?
Or is it more of the feel of having the passenger weight and mass and getting them accustomed to the maneuvers and their role.
Does the passenger ride for the whole training period? Or do they participate only after you get the feel for the manuevors solo?
To tell the truth I don't ride any higher than 70% compared to my 100% ability when I have a passenger.
It hurts my sides if I try anything near or above 70% :))
Just trying to weigh the option of bringing the SO.

Bob_C_CT said:
Happy New Years all.
Steve, what does the passenger get out of the ERC course?
Or is it more of the feel of having the passenger weight and mass and getting them accustomed to the maneuvers and their role.
Does the passenger ride for the whole training period? Or do they participate only after you get the feel for the manuevors solo?
To tell the truth I don't ride any higher than 70% compared to my 100% ability when I have a passenger.
It hurts my sides if I try anything near or above 70% :))
Just trying to weigh the option of bringing the SO.

It is really for the rider to practice/perform techniques with a passenger (since the bike will react differently with & without). The pillion develops body position control.  Except for the first exercise, which is rider only, all others are passenger optional.  It is very flexible and the rider can pick up/drop off the passenger as desired.  Also, there is no requirement to have the passenger for eval.

Steve,
I would be very interested in the ERC. I havn't taken any formal riding course since I took the Basic Rider Course when I first learned how to ride about 15 yrs. ago. Definitely overdue! Will keep my eyes peeled for further info about this over the next couple months.  :motonoises:

The 2013 Motorcycle course registration is now open.  Register early to make sure you get a spot. These courses are open to the public and if you register early we can fill this with COG riders.

Please follow the instructions on the web page to download the: Student Information Package, Adult Registration form, both schedules (Waterbury and Torrington), as well as the campus maps so you have it for later.  Here is the link: http://www.nv.edu/Non-Credit/Motorcycle/itemId/1842/Registration
Follow the instructions to complete the registration form.
Read over the Student Info and look on the last page of the Waterbury schedule for the ERC dates.

The course we will do as a group is this one....
Experienced Rider Course (ERC)
Waterbury location
May 11, 2013, 12PM-6:30PM.

For those wanting to do the  Advanced Rider Course (ARC-ST) - please PM me so I can gauge interest.
Torrington location weekend of June 15

Today I registered for the ERC next Saturday. For those who haven't registered yet and are still interested, I learned today there are still 3 spots left, so...register up!

Argh another family event precludes me from attending.  Have fun guys if I get a chance I may swing by towards the tail end to see y'all

I hear the class is almost full...  It will be interesting to see who from COG will be there

Steve,
Thanks for a great class yesterday.
After an afternoon's worth of riding skills in the (sometimes) drizzle and rain, I ain't scaired 'o no rain anymore!!
Learned how to handle my Connie much better at slow(er) speeds too!
My ride home 'only' took me 2 hours.
Today I'll clean up the bike and do an oil change.
Ahhhh. 
Thanks again. See you soon,
ari 

Ari said:
Steve,
Thanks for a great class yesterday.
After an afternoon's worth of riding skills in the (sometimes) drizzle and rain, I ain't scaired 'o no rain anymore!!
Learned how to handle my Connie much better at slow(er) speeds too!
My ride home 'only' took me 2 hours.
Today I'll clean up the bike and do an oil change.
Ahhhh. 
Thanks again. See you soon,
ari

You bet.  Glad you had an enjoyable time and improved you riding skill as well.