• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Who was the wise-guy that flipped the "summer switch"???

RideBellChain

Street Cruiser
96 degrees yesterday at Disney in Orlando...93 here in Palm Beach today.  UGH.  Hot wind from the Southwest...I was sweating like a dog in my helmet today!

Let the sweaty summer fun begin!

So I decided to take a ride up to Cycle Gear (I know, I'm as bad as my wife taking a ride to "Macy's")...but by the time I got there, I was pretty hot and overheated.

Yes, I know I need to drop 20 pounds and I'll be better...(working on it) but regardless I'm always looking for ways to stay cool. I found out the "hard way" that most helmets have fair/decent venting but it's the damn windshield that is the cruiser's biggest problem - on the new sportbike it's great air on the face and head - amazing when you compare, actually.

Last year I started wearing the bandanas that you soak in water that swell up and supposed to keep you cool...they worked pretty darn good on the cruiser with limited airflow (better when soaked in the cooler with ice!) but I think again with the huge airflow on the sport-tourer bike, it will be great!

Today at Cycle Gear, I saw they have the new Bilt Heat-Out Long Sleeve base-layer t shirt on sale for $19.99 (regular $29.99) so I bought one. It's a quick-wick shirt that is actually a thicker material than a t-shirt, but supposed to pull the sweat from your body and through to the outside of the shirt. As the wind hits it, it's supposed to evaporate and actually cool you down. The guy at CG has one and swears by it, so with their 30 day customer satisfaction deal, I bought it. Basically, anything you buy at CG - if you don't like it, they'll take it back with no questions asked within 30 days - and it's true - I've used it before :).

So go pick one up while they're on sale. It's not going to get any cooler until next year, and you gotta do what you can to stay cool if you want to ride.

Between my mesh jacket, the cooling bandana, and now the cooling shirt, hopefully I'll be even cooler than I already am! :p I'll let you all know next week how it went. I want to be comfy riding up to the mountains, and I remember 2 summers ago that it was 112 degrees in Macon, GA, and my boots started melting on the pavement...man that was a hot one!

I also saw the cooling vests that you also soak in water, but the locals that bought them all say they don't work that well here in FL because it's so humid that the evaporation doesn't happen fast enough to start the cooling effect...so I'll pass on that.

Anyway, just thought I'd ramble a bit to see what you all do about the heat?

Yeah, you have to have the right gear to make the weather more bearable. But this doesn't belong in the C14 section. I would say either say anything or riding gear. And since it's mostly about riding gear, that's where it's headed.  ;)

For me riding is all about the proper base layers....

During summer months I wear a moisture wicking shirt (I get them at sporting goods stores so I don't have to pay a premium for Motorycle branded stuff :) ) and cycling shorts under my riding pants  then proper socks and ATGATT.

During colder months, I still start with the wicking shirt, but then add a shell and a thermal layer etc...

The wicking stuff makes a big difference IMHO

has anyone tried the Icebreaker wool shirts for warm weather.  Seems counter-intuitive to be wearing a long-sleeve, wool shirt to cool off, but people seem to swear by them.  So far they've been too expensive to buy just for a test.

Last summer I used mesh jackets with larger air-holes in the mesh, and a lot of times would wear long sleeve t-shirts or my wicking golf shirts underneath (as opposed to short sleeves) and I would wear tall socks as well.  Cotton breathes really well.  Just picked up some Alpine riding boots - lots of airflow.

Back when I was working a bit more regularly, I'd plan two vacations in the mountains - one for about now and the other for late September.  It didn't help much with the heat of a Florida summer, but knowing that I was going to get some cool weeks made it a lot easier to deal with.

RideBellChain said:
Today at Cycle Gear, I saw they have the new Bilt Heat-Out Long Sleeve base-layer t shirt on sale for $19.99 (regular $29.99) so I bought one.

I saw CGs catalog blurb on Heat-Out, shirt pants & helmet cap. Was gonna score a set last week...but the local store didn't have my size.

Post up a review if ya don't mind.

WillyP said:
Feel free to ship a bit of that alleged 'summer' up here to New Hampshire.  :mad:

No, it's not the "fun" kind of hot.  Today it was 80 degrees with about 90% humidity and gray skies. This front is sitting over us, and it's just hot and sweaty. The inside of my helmet was nasty today from sweat - when you're riding it's fine (for now - not like a hot blow dryer yet) but when you stop, ugh...