• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Why you should use a headlight modulator.

Cap'n Bob

I am posting this on both the C10 and C14 sides because I feel that it is important to our safety! I expect this might start a debate. But it truly is not meant to do that. This is just my opinion for what it is worth. Hopefully y'all can hear what I'm saying without a big debate over it. But here goes. I've been riding for years. Like most everyone else, I really have to ride defensively now a days because of today's hazards seem worse than in the past. Back a few years ago when after the first C10 and I only had the Mean Streak. I found that it was alarming the number of people that were pulling in front of me, either across my bow, from the other direction. Or just pulling out of a side road in front of me like I wasn't even there. I decided a new modulator for the bike would help. Well after installing one on that bike, I noticed a major drop in close calls. Almost to the point of none. But not quite. It went from almost every ride and then some to almost none. A major major difference. I never took the modulator off the Mean Streak and have had very few close calls in the years since. But I still ride very defensively against it. Then in July 2007 I bought the C14. Once again I found a lot of people pulling in front of me. Probably not to the degree that the Mean Streak was incurring. But quite a lot. Well I rode the C14 with out a modulator for the first year, but ordered one shortly after. Well my second spring with the bike wasn't going to be like that first full year. So when I finally installed a Kisan modulator that actually worked on the C14, again I noticed a major decrease in incidents of pulling in front of the C14. There is nobody that can tell me that it doesn't make a difference since I have proved it to myself with two separate bikes. So now I get the new bike. And again I didn't get the modulator on the bike right away. Again for the third time in a row (that I payed close attention to). I have a lot of people pulling in front of me where they haven't been on the other bikes. And today totally reminded me of it again, when the 20 year girl pulled across the bow of three of our bikes, because she didn't see us. But this time I hit the car because there was no where to go and no room to stop. All because she couldn't see me. The officer told us that we should install a modulator. He rides too! ;) I know this will probably spark a debate over this. But there is no debate. I have too much proof between when I use a modulator and when I don't. A headlight modulator is something I can live with! Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 08 C14,03 Mean Streak, & 86 C10
2638311280103513287fDmUTZ_th.jpg

I'm new to street biking and plan to get one for my c14. But I wonder what it is like at night? Does this modulator effect your vision at night? Does the high beam modulate too?

The modulators have a sensor and automatically shuts off the modulation when it's dark. So they only modulate in the day time! Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 08 C14,03 Mean Streak, & 86 C10

+1 !!! Bob I'm with you 100% for the same reasons (outside of having an incident, sorry to hear about that) Eric, The modulators are required to have a sensor which turns off the modulation at night or other "low light" conditions (think fog,

I'm pretty sure, but as usual I could be wrong ;p, that a headlight modulator won't work if you do an HID headlight conversion. :( Unfortunately motorcycles are the invisible gorilla for most motorists. <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vJG698U2Mvo&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vJG698U2Mvo&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object> I do not doubt that headlight modulators can help but like many riders I've managed to get by with just using my hi-beam during the day. May be there is something about the way I ride but I've never experienced the dreaded left turning vehicle threatening to impede my right of way. I sure hope that doesn't change.

I always loved that video Mike. I thought they were messing with me, until you replay the message. It's a great video. I haven't seen it in a long time. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 08 C14,03 Mean Streak, & 86 C10

Illegal to use modulators in some states though. You can check state-by- state laws here: http://www.ama-cycle.org/legisltn/laws.asp Hank 18HP Craftsman Lawn Tractor

Federal regs trump states though. There is a note for the headlight use legend. "Modulating headlights are permitted in all 50 states per federal regulation 49 CFR 571.108 S7.9.4" And it isn't any single item that will prevent mishaps, it's a combination of things, attitude, experience, training that you have to use together. There is no cure all, but I like to use all the tools I have available.

Thanks Vic for refering me to Signal Dynamics. http://signaldynamics.com I placed my order and noted that you refered me to them. In a week I should be modulating!