• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Will fork oil damage the textured plastics?

dboogie2288

I recently did a brake job, and I swear to you - hand to god, I had everything protected during the work. When I buttoned it all back up, everything was dry. I took it out for a longer ride last weekend, and notice when I stopped for gas, there was moisture all over the right side textured plastic panel. And then it basically bleached out, a lot like what happens with brake fluid. However, now my forks are leaking and I wonder if some of the fork oil might have shot up from below, versus me trying to search out leaks from the brakes.

I had a blown fork seal and just had a slow weeping of oil down the lower fork tube. Never any issue wit discoloration of plastics. More likely brake fluid.

I recently did a brake job, and I swear to you - hand to god, I had everything protected during the work. When I buttoned it all back up, everything was dry. I took it out for a longer ride last weekend, and notice when I stopped for gas, there was moisture all over the right side textured plastic panel. And then it basically bleached out, a lot like what happens with brake fluid. However, now my forks are leaking and I wonder if some of the fork oil might have shot up from below, versus me trying to search out leaks from the brakes.
Are you positive the fluid on the textured plastic is not brake fluid? Fork fluid leaks on machines I’ve worked on have never worked their way up and over to this cover you are referring to.

I also do not believe Fork Oil is corrosive like brake fluid. Some customers machines are covered in fork oil and it’s a simple wipe it up, clean it up and back to new. Now the whole riding with a fork leak, that’s a different subject and story…

Note: I had seen the brake master cylinder reservoir covers leak and YES that would land on the textured plastic exactly as you describe and cause damage. The covers will seem dry when machine is in the garage but on the road leaning, back forth motion they leak until the issue is resolved.

Feel under your brake reservoir is it wet there at all? Check that diaphragm in the reservoir that it didn’t get cracked or slip in by accident when installing cover.

Also trace the fork leak path - gotta get that fixed too ASAP.

Wayne