• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Winter riding, a comfortable commute.

56taskforce

For winter commuting (PNW) what full suit would you recommend. It needs to fit over my work clothes, usually Carhartt double knee jeans and t shirt maybe a flannel and long underwear whenever it drops into the 30°s and below.
Must keep me dry.
Want armor for safety.

A heated jacket or vest and heated gloves would be nice addition. Not the best, but Cycle Gear sells some pretty darn good stuff at a low cost.

I have a gerbings jacket and gloves.  I love the jacket, but I think I should have chosen different gloves.  I went leather, and sometimes my hands actually sweat, so a textile/goretex would have worked better for me

MizzouMike said:
I have a gerbings jacket and gloves.  I love the jacket, but I think I should have chosen different gloves.  I went leather, and sometimes my hands actually sweat, so a textile/goretex would have worked better for me

I had a set of big heavy Gerbings Gloves a few years back as well.
Warm, yes - but perfect they were not.

They were big and bulky, and always made my hands sweat - which, then got the interior liner wet, and never really dried out after that, during the day's ride.

The only real solution is have a proper set of Goretex liners, goretex lined glove, or wear silk liners (like I do) to wick sweat away from hands, and provide a moisture barrier to your skin.  I even carry extra silk liners just in case my hands get wet or overly damp.

I doubt I'll ever own a pair of heated gloves again, however.
Heated grips and leather gloves seem to work better for me.  Fair to say, my hands do tend to be on the
sweaty side in most circumstances.  :eek:

gr

**Sorry I went off topic:  Agree with the first response -- Aerostich Goretex Suit.**

Well I went with some cheaper stuff Hey Joe Rocket ballistic Ultra touring jacket and Ballistic Ultra pants. I have ridden in these for about 3000 Miles now in temperatures from the mid 30s to 80°F and encountered a couple of rainstorms one of which was for a couple hundred miles and an outright downpour. So far this gear has kept me dry and comfortable in a wide range of weather, it does come with the minor inconvenience of liners one for cold weather and one for wet that can be used in conjunction with one another. Not to say that I won't want to upgrade in the future but all in all I'd have to say I'm very satisfied.

I will add though that on long trips this year was helped out a lot by wearing LD base layer I did splurge on the base layer and it's great stuff.