• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Winterizing

bearbait51

Mini Bike
I added some Staybill to the remaining half full tank of gas and rode it for about 10 miles before putting the bike in an unheated garage for the winter. Just had knee surgery on Friday the 13th and won't be riding until next Spring. I live in south central Pennsylvania where the temps can drop into the single digits up to the 40's. I have a battery tender, should I unhook the battery terminals or leave the battery hooked up? I guess the only thing that uses power is the clock when the bike is not running. Is there anything else I should do during the next 4 to 5 months? Fire it up every couple weeks and let it run for 15 minutes? Or let it rest? I have only had the bike for less than 2 months and don't know much about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Rick

Fill the gas tank all the way up, less air space will mean less condensation and the inside of your tank will thank you for it. Joe 1968 Honda 160 Scrambler, Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one, 1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours COG memb# 8645

Fill the gas tank all the way up, less air space will mean less condensation and the inside of your tank will thank you for it
+1 very good advice. Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

I just fill my tank and do more riding.......... except in the snow. :8o: Dave Muzzey St. Charles, IL COG#7957 '01 Connie
2325745050103317432S200x200Q85.jpg
2525116280103317432S200x200Q85.jpg

Like has been said above FILL the tank and I always drain the carbs even with Stabil. It might not be a bad idea to remove the battery and take it inside if it gets real cold in the shed. I would not start it during the storage time because it will just add to the moisture and condensation in the engine and cylinders because you really can't get it hot enough without riding. Let her sleep for the winter. Mine is about to go to sleep so too :(

If you are real paranoid about gas getting in the crankcase you could disconnect the fuel line OR put a pinch clamp on it. You might want to wash the bike real good to get all the dirt off of it then follow up w/ some wax on the tank. Use some chrome polish on the shiny parts. Change the oil and filter also. Check the tire pressure also.