• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Wouldn't start.. battery drained

cog5762

Tricycle
Rode my trusty Connie to work as usual last week. Came out 3 hours later and she wouldn't start. The battery was drained to the point that there was not even enough juice to power the red and green dash lights that usually come on, and when I hit the ignition button the clock went blank. Now that is drained! My only guess (?) is that for some reason the headlamp didn't turn off when I shut down earlier... can't think what else would have sucked all the electricity that fast. I had to get a boost from a cage to get started. Hasn't happened again and never happened before this. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just randsom or a foretelling of looming failure? Cheers, Neil

The sudden battery death syndrome is well documented. It happens often with older or improperly maintained batteries that have sulfated. How old is the battery? Typical life expectancy for motorcycle battery is 3-5 years. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

If you take it to a better auto parts store or a Batteries Plus, they can test the battery to see if it's a goner or was just discharged somehow. A small drain over an extended period of time could also draw it down. Maybe an accessory left on unswitched? Good luck with it though- it's hot and I had to replace one this summer already. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 Euro Review http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US Review http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/inde

Mine did the exact same thing before it met its final demise. I replaced with a new sealed battery from batterys plus, and all has been well. It happened right at the 3 year mark. Good Luck.