• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Wow! A personal best

mcfly

Got my new Avon Spirit STs on the bike yesterday, so I
was curious how far the Azaro rear that was replaced took me....

11,632 MILES!  Not too shabby eh? 

No signs of defects, just a huge flat wear line down the middle... Florida style.  ::)

Just wanted to get ONE happy Avon story on the boards.  :beerchug:

Avon makes the grippyest 18" front DOT tire available, according to the guys racing at Barber Vintage festival....Pete Hockenstad and some others swear by them....

Volcantour said:
Mcfly said:
SteveJ. said:
Awesome.

Any dual sportin'?  >:D :beerchug:

As a matter of fact.... No.  :(    ;)

Steve, you haven't been leading any ride adventures lately, obviously..... :rotflmao:

Au contraire. I've been leading a lot of "adventure" rides but the group consists of me, myself, and I.

curious,, as I contemplate replacing my nearly brand new dunlap front tire, its the wrong size 120 instead of 110, I have to admit to myself, I'm not the type to trust roads I'm not familiar with too much.  I'm not the knee down type of guy, and if the road is wet,, I avoid any G force in turns, too many close calls in my crazy 20'sand 30's.  How do Avon tires handle in the rain, wet roads?  Is it noticeably better than Dunlap and metzler which is pretty much all the memorable tires I ever purchased.  Or maybe the reason I never dropped a street bike while riding is my keen fear of failing grip , cheap tires.

curious,, as I contemplate replacing my nearly brand new dunlap front tire, its the wrong size 120 instead of 110, I have to admit to myself, I'm not the type to trust roads I'm not familiar with too much.  I'm not the knee down type of guy, and if the road is wet,, I avoid any G force in turns, too many close calls in my crazy 20'sand 30's.  How do Avon tires handle in the rain, wet roads?  Is it noticeably better than Dunlap and metzler which is pretty much all the memorable tires I ever purchased.  Or maybe the reason I never dropped a street bike while riding is my keen fear of failing grip , cheap tires.
I didn't much care for the Dunlop tires that came on my C10, but I'm probably gonna leave a nearly new tire on until it's worn out.  Might want to slow down a bit as those tires strong point isn't high speed.

Mcfly said:

No signs of defects, just a huge flat wear line down the middle... Florida style.  ::)

You're obviously not pushing it on the Floriday curves (off ramps)... Amazing mileage.

if your not racing in the rain or cornering at triple digit speeds it dont matter if you have a 120 or a 110 on that front wheel.the difference is less then the width of your pinkie finger nail.

bajasam said:
if your not racing in the rain or cornering at triple digit speeds it dont matter if you have a 120 or a 110 on that front wheel.the difference is less then the width of your pinkie finger nail.

I suppose it could be simplified to that point... ::) :truce:

but,
depending on which rim Pre or Post '94, and depending on the aspect ratio of the specific tire, tire pressure, and compound, it does make a difference... without even considering the triple digit speed thing. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :motonoises:

so contact patch at 50 mph, does come into play, as the tire transitions from vertical, to horizontal...  hopefully not too far horizontal if you get my drift. (oops, 2 tire puns.. sorry)
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :motonoises:

ron203 said:
Mcfly said:

You're obviously not pushing it on the Floriday curves (off ramps)... Amazing mileage.

ACTUALLY, I am...  they're just too far and betwwen  :(