• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

WTB: Cheap Concours

The BMW shop in Grand Rapids Mi. has the 1999 that I traded in, it's listed on their website. I know that they will take less than it is listed for. They do let you test ride anything they have.

Gil said:
The BMW shop in Grand Rapids Mi. has the 1999 that I traded in, it's listed on their website. I know that they will take less than it is listed for. They do let you test ride anything they have.

Kizmet:  noun, fate, destiny.

Gil,
I have been looking at that bike!! I am trying to get another bike to have my brother ride to the rally, so that is somewhat out of my price range, but just in case, can you give me some more info on the bike???

I bought the bike in 06 with 7700 miles on it and traded it in Oct of 11 with 53,7?? miles on it. While I had it I replaced the fork seals and installed sonic 1:1 fork springs, drilled and tapped the fork legs so you can change fork oil without a lot of trouble. I installed a fork brace, changed all coolant hoses and put Honda pre-mix coolant in it. The battery is about 2 years old, the K&N air filter is new(maybe 1k miles on it), the brake and clutch fluid has been changed since I got it. New wheel bearing and spline lube at every tire change. It has pilot GT's on it , I took the last set off at 20k and thought there might have been 5k more in them but we were heading out for a 6-7k trip so I changed them. The current set has quite a few miles left in them,the front tread depth is half of a new one. Rear drive lube changed recently. I ran the Rotella syn oil, the last time I did a valve adj the cams did not have any pitting. I have ridden the bike out west three times with no problems and would not have hesitated to do it again the day I turned it over to the BMW shop. I have just been putting things down as I think of them so there is no real order to this account; there's probably more info that I haven't thought of. This is for your info only, I traded it in so I wouldn't feel responsible to the next owner.
Be safe
Gil F.

Thanks for the reply Gil...needless to say Im pretty interested in that bike...I spotted the fork brace in the one pic that they have on the site! Bike looks nice.

What did you trade it in for?

TrenchFighter said:
I think he got a 2012 BMW R1200R, a 2009 KLR650, and some cash.  They hold their value surprisingly well!
:rotflmao:

ChipDoc said:
TrenchFighter said:
I think he got a 2012 BMW R1200R, a 2009 KLR650, and some cash.  They hold their value surprisingly well!
:rotflmao:
I did get a 2012 BMW R1200R and there was cash involved; too bad the cash flow was not in my favor.
Thought of a couple of other things; it has bar risers, 12v outlet on the dash, a Ram ball on the dash  and I put new plug wires on it about 3 years ago. On our last trip a car threw a chunk of rubber and hit my left air scoop which caused some damage, I repaired it and if your not looking for it you probably wouldn't notice it. I'm 5'7" and have a bad back that is getting worse so I had to get something that was a little easier to move around.

I think you should have held out for the KLR in the deal! Are you on KLR650.net also? I had one over the summer then decided to focus on the Concours.

I am really interested in your old bike, sounds like a lot of great work and effort was put into it! Im going to see if I can get over there to take a look. But I did also see that they have a 2009 Concours as well!!

I think using the bad back as an excuse to get a new, fancier, more expensive motorcycle is a great idea.....wow, my back is starting to hurt a little now too....must.....get ......new......motorcycle! ;D

Seriously, I hope the BMW is good therapy.

trench

I lurk on the KLR650.net but am not very active. When you have a bike that does everything you need it to do; that you can wrench on and keep running forever and is paid for it's a big decision to spend a lot of cash on a bike. Is the new bike that much better that it is worth a pretty good chunk of change? Probably not; it's my body that is letting me down, this new bike will allow me to stay on two wheels longer and that makes it worth it to me. We travel with another couple a lot and I was always afraid that I'd be pulling into a parking lot many miles from home and put my back out and ruin everyone's vacation.
This was all on me, my wife rides a bmw F650gs and the guys at the BMW shop claim that she has finally talked me into getting a BMW. I resisted as long as I could.
I rode the 09 Connie and it is a nice bike, and they have a couple of 650 V-stroms that our friends traded in.